I’m on a tight budget for a gaming pc- what should I do?

Go to solution Solved by TheCoder2019,

You can use a TV as a monitor if you want, the £300 budget is too low, it might be able to run Minecraft at 720p30

Hi there,

I have £300/ $420 to spend on a gaming pc, I cannot go over budget. I’m not sure what to do as I have no monitor as well so that means £200 for the actual thing.

I NEED HELP

You can use a TV as a monitor if you want, the £300 budget is too low, it might be able to run Minecraft at 720p30

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

Used market is fucked rn, you won't get anything good for your budget.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

That’s what I do cuase I don’t have enough money for a monitor so I use my wall mounted tv

My friend just got one with an Athlon 3000g 8gb ram and a 240gb ssd with a 750gb hdd for £320

3 minutes ago, Noahi5-3337u said:

My friend just got one with an Athlon 3000g 8gb ram and a 240gb ssd with a 750gb hdd for £320

Yeah and that is a office computer not a gaming rig

6 minutes ago, Albert F said:

If you are lucky, like really lucky, you could find an old dell/HP/lenovo/what ever, and slap an older gpu in it

he's in the UK, their second hand market is usually quite flooded with 'more than okay' dell/HP desktops, but you're essentially limited to a GPU that doesnt require a 6-pin power cable.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

he's in the UK, their second hand market is usually quite flooded with 'more than okay' dell/HP desktops, but you're essentially limited to a GPU that doesnt require a 6-pin power cable.

yea like a 1050ti or 750ti should do the trick, especially when upgrading from integrated graphics

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yeah and that is a office computer not a gaming rig

No he built it

5 minutes ago, Noahi5-3337u said:

No he built it

420 with no monitor won’t get you much and for prices rn is hard to so I put a build it has no gpu but it’s the best u can do 

1 minute ago, Joshua124 said:

420 with no monitor won’t get you much and for prices rn is hard to so I put a build it has no gpu but it’s the best u can do 

Ikn this is expensive and no monitor but 

5 hours ago, Noahi5-3337u said:

No he built it

Yeah I know. But those specs are basically the power of a generic office computer. It's not a gaming pc.

I just built a computer with an AMD 4650g for about 400£. If you switch out the 4650g for a 3200g youre gonna get a computer that can game surprisingly well given the price. i happened to have an old hdd lying around so i used that, but you can get one for almost nothing on the used market if you look around. I also found a decent corsair power supply on the used market for the equivalent of 20£. Just be sure to get one with at least an 80+ rating and you should be fine. 

For ram, get at least dual slot 8gb, 3200mhz. I dont know the pricing there in uk, but here in Norway all ram up to 3600mhz are priced almost the same.

All in all, it should be no problem building a pc with your budget, however youre gonna have to use a tv or something for a monitor.. as i do 😛

1 minute ago, Bubavon said:

I just built a computer with an AMD 4650g for about 400£. If you switch out the 4650g for a 3200g youre gonna get a computer that can game surprisingly well given the price. i happened to have an old hdd lying around so i used that, but you can get one for almost nothing on the used market if you look around. I also found a decent corsair power supply on the used market for the equivalent of 20£. Just be sure to get one with at least an 80+ rating and you should be fine. 

For ram, get at least dual slot 8gb, 3200mhz. I dont know the pricing there in uk, but here in Norway all ram up to 3600mhz are priced almost the same.

All in all, it should be no problem building a pc with your budget, however youre gonna have to use a tv or something for a monitor.. as i do 😛

I’d want an ssd

19 minutes ago, Noahi5-3337u said:

I’d want an ssd

Well...  aliexpress does have 120gb ssd's for around 15$, but dont expect them to last forever. Cross your fingers and get a secound hand one. In my experince they cost almost the same, but in general are of better quality on paper at least.

Also, There are definitely cheaper power supplies out there on the second hand market, and given that the TPD of the 3200g is only 65 watts it should probarly go fine. But do your research before you get one. 

I had a build for 220 euros made for a guy in India and I will share it.

If he wants a computer give the man a computer,stop complaining about budget and try and do something with the little money he has

In India that guy wasn't able to find good offers on the used markets but since you are in the UK a second option Is looking for a i5--i7 dell optiplex or Xeon workstation and  search for discrete GPUs to put in them.

Let me know if there is anything wrong with it.

The ram was only 2400mhz but feel free to look for better ram.

Polish_20210303_121916915.png