I finally got a RTX 3080 in a laptop

Yep got a RTX 3080, wrapped in a Alienware laptop. So much for a silicon shortage. Seems there is no shortage for the big companies, it seems it is a shortage only for a build it yourself community. Again a sign of fraud in the industry regarding this excuse. I believe they are building ASIC processors.

Item Description    ITEM NUMBER    QUANTITY    UNIT PRICE    TOTAL PRICE
    Alienware m17 R4    210-AYHE    1    CAD 971.19    CAD 971.19

Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
    801-2185    1         
Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
    801-2232    1         
10th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0GHz Max Turbo Frequency)
    338-BYME    1         
17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz 7ms 300-nits 72% NTSC color gamut with NVIDIA-GSYNC technology
    391-BFUB    1         
Alberta $1.20, Environmental Handling Fee for Notebook
    600-0005    1         
Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French)
    340-AGUD    1         
32GB DDR4 2933MHz
    370-AGJN    1         
512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
    400-BLDE    1         
US Power Cord
    450-AAGO    1         
NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 3080 16GB GDDR6
    490-BGJY    1         
Killer(TM) Ethernet E3100X 10/100/1000Mbps/2.5Gbps NIC
    555-BGMS    1         
Killer(TM) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 802.11ax 2x2 Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.1
    555-BGMT    1         
Alienware mSeries 4-Zone AlienFX RGB keyboard with numeric keypad (Standard)
    580-AJKU    1         
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    619-ANOK    1         
Shipping and Handling - Latitude
    007-2985    1         
Dark Side of the Moon with High Endurance Clear Coat
    320-BEFT    1         
Dell.com Order
    332-0550    1         
Dell.com Order
    332-1530    1         
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 Processor Label
    340-CNBW    1         
Shipping Materia
    340-CVEW    1         
330W Adapter
    450-AKLV    1         
6-Cell 86WHr Integrated
    451-BCPR    1         
Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial
    658-BCSC    1         
Additional Software + System Software
    658-BEZE    1         
Custom Configuration
    817-BBBB    1         
None Required
    817-BBBP    1         
Sub Total
CAD 3251.19
Eco Fee
CAD 1.20
Shipping/Handling
CAD 0.00
Estimated Tax
CAD 161.36
Order Total
CAD 3413.75

What is even more interesting is my invoice actually showed Dell's cost before markup. A 1k dollar laptop sells for 3k.

1 minute ago, DriftMan said:

Do you know what's an ASIC?

Anyway, you seem to think that the manufacturers play in the same market as direct customers lol

*takes tin foil hat off*

Ya i know, lets not continue with the Metis being ignorant narrative.

Laptops are actually totally fine as the only ones at a markup are the really cheap ones miners can profit off of so the more expensive ones kinda just sit there like nothing is happening.

Just now, jaslion said:

Laptops are actually totally fine as the only ones at a markup are the really cheap ones miners can profit off of so the more expensive ones kinda just sit there like nothing is happening.

Ya, but having to buy a laptop at that markup, is insane, just to get a GTX 3080, i am happy don't get me wrong. But really.

-Clickbait title changed, moved to Laptops and Pre Builts-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, Hellimod said:

Ya, but having to buy a laptop at that markup, is insane, just to get a GTX 3080, i am happy don't get me wrong. But really.

Sure 1k to make it all but don't forget the rnd, wages, shipping,... Yeah it costs 1k to make it with all the manufacturing and materials but that doesn't include everything. That and yeah alienware laptops to tend to have a heftier markup than others but not that massive.

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

-Clickbait title changed, moved to Laptops and Pre Builts-

Well thank you, there are too many rules for me to keep track of. I am glad you guys can move stuff without locking them. Not everyone is intentionally violating rules.

5 minutes ago, DriftMan said:

You just sound ridiculous.

Please, consider stop posting conspiracy theories.

Did I call it a conspiracy theory? I believe I called it a fraud. Conspiracy is a word people use nowadays to shutdown discussion. It's called a strawman, instead of arguing the merits of the discussion directly you move it over to something that is easier for you to defeat. I suggest actually digging in rather then being lazy.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Sure 1k to make it all but don't forget the rnd, wages, shipping,... Yeah it costs 1k to make it with all the manufacturing and materials but that doesn't include everything. That and yeah alienware laptops to tend to have a heftier markup than others but not that massive.

Check what he posted in th OP, that Dell's breakdown, 1k for the base laptop, + all the options that comes with the model he selected, a 3080 is around 1k CAD, there's no way a WHOLE laptop with a 3080, a 512GB SDD, a 17in 144hz screen and all the rest is under 1k CAD (971 CAD = 761 USD ... you can't get that much laptop for $761 USD).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 minutes ago, Hellimod said:

Well thank you, there are too many rules for me to keep track of. I am glad you guys can move stuff without locking them. Not everyone is intentionally violating rules.

No problem. In the future, if you find a topic was accidentally posed in the wrong subforum, there is a specific report function to notify Moderators about this. 

image.png.2dfb06b2e466a5d27ee90391cbe3c0b7.png

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Check what he posted in th OP, that Dell's breakdown, 1k for the base laptop, + all the options that comes with the model he selected, a 3080 is around 1k CAD, there's no way a WHOLE laptop with a 3080, a 512GB SDD, a 17in 144hz screen and all the rest is under 1k CAD (971 CAD = 761 USD ... you can't get that much laptop for $761 USD).

What I assume is that is a bill of materials or probably just a oops in the system. It wouldn't be too surprising really after seeing how much other things cost to make in terms of materials and manufacturing (excluding paying people).

12 minutes ago, Hellimod said:

Did I call it a conspiracy theory?

No, we're calling it a conspiracy theory, because that's what it is. An assertion of a malevolent plot by covert actors unsupported by any evidence. 

It's called a strawman, instead of arguing the merits of the discussion directly you move it over to something that is easier for you to defeat.

There are no merits to argue. 

I suggest actually digging in rather then being lazy.

Ah, "dO yOuR oWn rEsEaRcH," the mantra of anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, and people who believe the world is ruled by reptilian aliens. I guess by comparison ranting about GPU manufacturers is pretty harmless, anyway. 

BTW, if you were willing to blow over $3000, for that price you could have just bought a real RTX 3080 (as opposed to a crippled mobile version) from a scalper, built a desktop around it, and gotten much better value and performance. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Hellimod said:

Yep got a RTX 3080, wrapped in a Alienware laptop. So much for a silicon shortage. Seems there is no shortage for the big companies, it seems it is a shortage only for a build it yourself community. Again a sign of fraud in the industry regarding this excuse. I believe they are building ASIC processors.

Big manufacturers have contracts in place, so they get priority over individual consumers. Nothing suspicious about that. The mobile 3080 also isn't the same as the desktop variant, it's a cut down chip.

Doesn't mean HP doesn't feel the silicon shortage as well. Buying a single (premium/overpriced) laptop doesn't exactly tell you how many laptops are available overall and how many customers are going to wait a long time for theirs to be delivered.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

Big manufacturers have contracts in place, so they get priority over individual consumers. Nothing suspicious about that. The mobile 3080 also isn't the same as the desktop variant, it's a cut down chip.

Doesn't mean HP doesn't feel the silicon shortage as well. Buying a single (premium/overpriced) laptop doesn't exactly tell you how many laptops are available overall and how many customers are going to wait a long time for theirs to be delivered.

Your words are right for another time and place, when the president of the USA is publicly saying car manufactures can't get ASIC processors for cars. That hits the nail on the head.

Just now, Hellimod said:

Your words are right for another time and place, when the president of the USA is publicly saying car manufactures can't get ASIC processors for cars. That hits the nail on the head.

Which contradicts your initial statement that there is no chip shortage for big companies. You managing to buy a laptop with a high end GPU doesn't proof or disproof anything. Governments getting involved to assess/address the situation is.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Which contradicts your initial statement that there is no chip shortage for big companies. You managing to buy a laptop with a high end GPU doesn't proof or disproof anything. Governments getting involved to assess/address the situation is.

Red herring fallacy, c minus for debating skill. The issue is presented as a silicon shortage, the public does not know the difference between processors. The result is known.

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Which contradicts your initial statement that there is no chip shortage for big companies. 

Unfortunately this type of specious emotionally-motivated reasoning we see from the OP here has become rather common with disgruntled gamers during the shortages over the past few months, we have several people like this on the forum. There's no attempt at consistency and if you point out the flaw in one argument they'll just cycle to another, the only thing that stays the same is the deeply-felt conviction that gamers are getting done dirty on purpose somehow and we should... I don't know, "rise up," I suppose?

For some reason, when in a frustrating situation, it makes some people feel better to think that somebody is wronging them intentionally... gives them a way to focus their anger, even if they're still powerless to actually change their circumstances.  

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

oh the irony ...

I am just giving a grade from my perspective, don't get too excited.

-= Topic Locked =-

This topic has accumulated to show a foundation for conspiracy theory [textbook definition there of), the forum is no place these types of conversation as they only bring disruption to the community.

Please do not post on this subject again.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER