Going from an i5-7200u to a i3-1005G1. Thoughts?

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 3567 i5-7200u with 16gb ram but it is currently giving me problems so i'm looking at getting a new laptop.

My current options are

https://www.incredible.co.za/lenovo-s145-core-i3-1005g1-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-hd-notebook - Currently on special for R6999 (roughly $463,49)

https://www.incredible.co.za/lenovo-s145-i5-1035g1-8-1tb-15-notebook - Currently on special for R9999 (roughly $662,13)

Dong some research the i3 seems to hold its own against the ageing 7th gen i5 but i'd prefer if someone who actually has the i3-1005g1 can chip in.

With a difference of about $200 between the two i'm learning more towards the i3 to save money wherever I can.

I'll probably buy an SSD further down the line and the 16gb I currently have will be put into this new laptop

The laptop will be used for some light programming

4 minutes ago, Waaiez said:

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 3567 i5-7200u with 16gb ram but it is currently giving me problems so i'm looking at getting a new laptop.

My current options are

https://www.incredible.co.za/lenovo-s145-core-i3-1005g1-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-hd-notebook - Currently on special for R6999 (roughly $463,49)

https://www.incredible.co.za/lenovo-s145-i5-1035g1-8-1tb-15-notebook - Currently on special for R9999 (roughly $662,13)

Dong some research the i3 seems to hold its own against the ageing 7th gen i5 but i'd prefer if someone who actually has the i3-1005g1 can chip in.

With a difference of about $200 between the two i'm learning more towards the i3 to save money wherever I can.

I'll probably buy an SSD further down the line and the 16gb I currently have will be put into this new laptop

The laptop will be used for some light programming

Your paying alot for a dual core CPU

I'd look for a CPU that has 4 or more cores, they arent much more expensive 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

For a little bit more money you can get this:

https://www.incredible.co.za/asus-vivobook-15-15-6-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-ssd-notebook-grey

It is vastly superior than both option, with 4 cores and a great GPU.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Your paying alot for a dual core CPU

I'd look for a CPU that has 4 or more cores, they arent much more expensive 

Unfortunately those prices are the norm here in South Africa. First years are starting uni right about now and these prices are as good as they're going to get.

The i5 10th gen is a quad core but for the additional $200 it doesn't seem worth it

Just now, Waaiez said:

Unfortunately those prices are the norm here in South Africa. First years are starting uni right about now and these prices are as good as they're going to get.

The i5 10th gen is a quad core but for the additional $200 it doesn't seem worth it

try a ryzen CPU then, the 3500u is a good deal

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

For a little bit more money you can get this:

https://www.incredible.co.za/asus-vivobook-15-15-6-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-512gb-ssd-notebook-grey

It is vastly superior than both option, with 4 cores and a great GPU.

That's how they get you. Spend a little extra, get a lot more performance and before you know it you're spending way more than you wanted.

It's a bit on the higher end of what I currently want to spend but it is still an option considering it's performance.

https://www.incredible.co.za/hp-15s-i5-1135g7-8gb-ram-512gb-ssd-fhd-notebook It's not really front and center but their 11th gen processors aren't too badly priced considering

For doing words or browsing, the first one is good enough.

Make sure you upgrade the ram to at least 8gb and get a SSD.

Usually there's an open slot for the SSD, get the 256gb M.2 stick not a regular box 2.5 sata.

So you can run both drive on the same laptop.

I suggest getting the ssd as soon as possible to clone the original HDD to the SSD.

Ask the seller if you can upgrade the ssd yourself.

But i must warn you there won't be any significant jump from your laptop to that one.

If you value your money, i suggest getting the problem fixed rather than buying a new laptop.

A 7th gen laptop is still very usable today.

I assume you are still with a regular HDD, i suggest give it a SSD upgrade.

It would feel like a new laptop, i promise.

Most of the time problems can be fixed with a fresh windows installation.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

26 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

For doing words or browsing, the first one is good enough.

Make sure you upgrade the ram to at least 8gb and get a SSD.

Usually there's an open slot for the SSD, get the 256gb M.2 stick not a regular box 2.5 sata.

So you can run both drive on the same laptop.

I suggest getting the ssd as soon as possible to clone the original HDD to the SSD.

Ask the seller if you can upgrade the ssd yourself.

But i must warn you there won't be any significant jump from your laptop to that one.

If you value your money, i suggest getting the problem fixed rather than buying a new laptop.

A 7th gen laptop is still very usable today.

I assume you are still with a regular HDD, i suggest give it a SSD upgrade.

It would feel like a new laptop, i promise.

Most of the time problems can be fixed with a fresh windows installation.

Laptop is unfortunately out of warranty and because of that Dell wanted to charge me for tech support and then also to fix the problem.

I've done all the usual troubleshooting steps to try solve my issues but nothing has worked so far. Dell is charging me around $432 for a new motherboard and for that price I might as well put a little more money towards a new laptop with a new warranty.

Another option I have is to take it to a tech shop near me and hope they can fix the issue but the only stores I would trust would charge me the same as Dell.

I agree that 7th gen is still very usable and this laptop and this laptop has served me well these past 2 years. If I could fix this laptop at a reasonable price I would keep this laptop till it died but my options are very limited.

Having no significant jump from this to i3 10th gen is something im willing to compromise on. Laptop prices have gotten outragous in my country and getting a new laptop with similar performance at a cheaper price than what I paid for this laptop is a steal

Out of interest I have attached a video of the issue I am facing with my laptop.

My problem is that when I move my laptop there is a chance that it will just completely freeze needing a hard reboot to fix the issue. I can replicate the problem by pressing down on the bottom of my cover.

In the video where im pressing down, my CPU cooler and ram stick is around that area.

I have tried reseating my ram, changing ram slots, trying a different stick of ram, refitting my CPU cooler, tightening any loose screws, reseating any cables, trying with battery only, trying with only my charger plugged in, updating my Windows, updating my bios, booting into linux, searching forums, trying any solution I think of and no luck.

Possible reasons why this is happening: motherboard flex causing a short somewhere, solder that's come loose, DIMM slot(s) is failing

i see, now that's a problem. in my country a pcb repair is only $50, if no fix, money back.

Dell won't take the risk of repairing the internal parts, so they just replace the board, which cost the same as a new laptop.

Last effort might be fully dismantle it and clean all the connectors with contact cleaner, especially around that part.

Try using 1 ram slot instead of two.

If no go, your solution probably better buy a new one.