X58 Xeon build questions

Soj
Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

normal ram is fine. 

Hi guys this is my first post here!

So I have a gigabyte x58a ud3r rev2 motherboard with i7 950 and 3x2 gigabytes of RAM

I also have a R9 390.

I snooped around online and found out I can upgrade my computer without spending too much money and so I went ahead and bought A Xeon 5675 processor on AliExpress .

I have some experience in computer building though it was back when Pentiums reigned supreme so it’s been a while.

So the processor itself cost around 20 bucks and my question is can this Xeon work with normal ram or do I have to get ecc?

if I do need ecc will my mother board support it?

Is there an Overclocking guide video online that deals with the exact motherboard that I have?

(haven’t found one).

Regarding the ram size: since my motherboard supports 24 GB of RAM and triple channel I guess my best option is go with three sticks of 8 GB though I cannot seem to find it anywhere and would love a recommendation on where to get this kit.

thanks!

normal ram is fine. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, Soj said:

Hi guys this is my first post here!

So I have a gigabyte x58a ud3r rev2 motherboard with i7 950 and 3x2 gigabytes of RAM

I also have a R9 390.

I snooped around online and found out I can upgrade my computer without spending too much money and so I went ahead and bought A Xeon 5675 processor on AliExpress .

I have some experience in computer building though it was back when Pentiums reigned supreme so it’s been a while.

So the processor itself cost around 20 bucks and my question is can this Xeon work with normal ram or do I have to get ecc?

if I do need ecc will my mother board support it?

Is there an Overclocking guide video online that deals with the exact motherboard that I have?

(haven’t found one).

Regarding the ram size: since my motherboard supports 24 GB of RAM and triple channel I guess my best option is go with three sticks of 8 GB though I cannot seem to find it anywhere and would love a recommendation on where to get this kit.

thanks!

Hi, i have a same platform too and wondering if I can do the same upgrade.

So, how is your system now? Did the XEON work smoothly?

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard
    Asus TUF GAMING b450M plus II
  • RAM
    32gb 3200Mhz Hyperx RGB
  • GPU
    Zotac Gaming GTX 1660 TI
  • Case
    SilverStone FARA R1
  • Storage
    256gb SAMSUNG 970 Evo Plus m.2 NVME SSD + 2tb HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA 500 BR
  • Display(s)
    24'' AOC 144hz IPS Panel
  • Cooling
    DEEPCOOL GTE V2
  • Keyboard
    CHERRY G80 3000
  • Mouse
    HYPERX Pulsefire FPS PRO
  • Sound
    SADA 2.1 Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Professional
  • Laptop
    ACER Nitro 5 i5 8300H + GTX 1650

1 hour ago, Keenanzie said:

Hi, i have a same platform too and wondering if I can do the same upgrade.

So, how is your system now? Did the XEON work smoothly?

don't to xeon cpu's as they are for workstaions and basicly not that big difference in gaming  between core i series cpu and xeon , but when it comes to overclocking the core i series are the best.