lga 1155 matx motherboard with ecc memory support

Go to solution Solved by Archer42,
15 minutes ago, lukas sadler said:

i need is a motheroard compatable with my sandybridge intel xeon e3 1230 that is also micro atx and supports registered ecc momory

I might be wrong, but IIRC LGA1155 xeons do not support registered memory at all. You'll have to go with LGA2011 ones for it to work. By the way this is the reason why this memory is cheap - it can be used only on very specific hardware which is not very common. More specifically only on server hardware, or Chinese LGA2011/2011-3 boards which are desktop boards made to reuse server xeons in desktop systems.

Hi

I have recently undertaken the challange of building myself a fairly budget computer, however when looking up the ram i found 8gb of ecc ddr3 ram for £8 compared to the £30 for the same ammount of regular ram,of cource i thought this was an apsolute steal and after a bit more checking i bought the ram, however i now am in a bit of a sticky situation, i have a micro atx case and need a motherboard that is compatable with my cpu and i cas use my ecc memory with and i can not use it as regular memory because they are rdims, what i need is a motheroard compatable with my sandybridge intel xeon e3 1230 that is also micro atx and supports registered ecc momory,( it has to be something that can be found quite cheaply due to my tight buget

Thanks for the help

Lukas

15 minutes ago, lukas sadler said:

i need is a motheroard compatable with my sandybridge intel xeon e3 1230 that is also micro atx and supports registered ecc momory

I might be wrong, but IIRC LGA1155 xeons do not support registered memory at all. You'll have to go with LGA2011 ones for it to work. By the way this is the reason why this memory is cheap - it can be used only on very specific hardware which is not very common. More specifically only on server hardware, or Chinese LGA2011/2011-3 boards which are desktop boards made to reuse server xeons in desktop systems.

hi thanks for replying

Yes, unfortionately you are correct, it seems i will need to try to extend my buget a bit for some normal ram. 😞

thanks

lukas