400W PSU for RTX 3060 or 3050/ti

lewi2999

Hi, I currently have an HP z230 with an i7 4770, 32gb ddr3, and a 1050ti apart from the extra ram and the 1050ti this PC is bone stock. I really want to upgrade the graphics card as the 1050ti ain't gonna cut it anymore. I don't want any 20 series card only 30 series, so I suppose my options are 3060 or 3050/3050ti if the leaks are correct/when they come out. I would just like to know some thoughts, am I being completely mad thinking I would have a chance running any of these? or is it in the realms of possibilty.

The 3060 draws around 200W when peaking (this varies a little from model to model as there is no founders edition).

The 4770 draws around 110-115W when peaking. This would leave you with a little headroom for other devices (hard drives, fan hubs, etc.).

I would say this is fine if not a little close. You should still be good though.

Do note that if you experience crashing where the computer just suddenly turns off (black screen) you might have to upgrade the PSU as sudden spikes in power draw from the GPU can trigger the fuse in the PSU (if you have a good quality PSU, which I hope you do).

Sources:

GPU power: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-gaming-x-trio/36.html

CPU power: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/2

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 3060 draws around 200W when peaking (this varies a little from model to model as there is no founders edition).

The 4770 draws around 110-115W when peaking. This would leave you with a little headroom for other devices (hard drives, fan hubs, etc.).

I would say this is fine if not a little close. You should still be good though.

Ok, so i have 2 storage devices 1 1tb hdd and 1 1tb ssd and alot of usb devices and my PSU is what ever came with the PC so the stock z230 PSU. Also if wanted to be safe i could drop down to a 3050/ti right? Many thanks.

48 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Do note that if you experience crashing where the computer just suddenly turns off (black screen) you might have to upgrade the PSU as sudden spikes in power draw from the GPU can trigger the fuse in the PSU (if you have a good quality PSU, which I hope you do).

Sources:

GPU power: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-gaming-x-trio/36.html

CPU power: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7003/the-haswell-review-intel-core-i74770k-i54560k-tested/2

Ok, so i have 2 storage devices 1 1tb hdd and 1 1tb ssd and alot of usb devices and my PSU is what ever came with the PC so the stock z230 PSU. Also if wanted to be safe i could drop down to a 3050/ti right? Many thanks.

11 hours ago, lewi2999 said:

You should be fine, altough I don't recognize that PSU name. The 3050 Ti hasn't been released yet (as you may know), but I'd figure that it's power draw is even lower that that of the 3060. So yes, if you want to be on the safe side get the 3050 Ti when it launches.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Uptivuptiz said:

You should be fine, altough I don't recognize that PSU name. The 3050 Ti hasn't been released yet (as you may know), but I'd figure that it's power draw is even lower that that of the 3060. So yes, if you want to be on the safe side get the 3050 Ti when it launches.

If the 3050 ti launches 

Sorry to tell you this. Its not going to work with a 20 or 30 series of cards. Because the design of the HP z230 is not intended for power consuming cards. By that I mean you are going to have overheating and shut down issues with any card that need external power from PSU, even if you upgrade the PSU to 650W or 850W, the case is not intended for the large amount of heat to be dissipated, lack of air intake is the main problem. Futher I dont think the card is going to fit on your mother board.  So, your only option is to upgrade to a 75W card, but the performance boast is less than 30% and GTX 1650Ti  seems to be your only choice, which are not worth it in my opinion.

I noticed that your system came with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM and it is intended as a workstation. If you want gaming with a budget built you should consider intel i5 10500K with 16G 3200 CL 14 DDR4 Ram with a RTX 3060 Ti Card. This will give you the ultimate 2K experience.  If you will be using it to edit videos, its is best to get a Ryzen 5800 or higher and get 32G 3600 CL14 DDR4 RAM and get 3080 or Even 3090, if your budget allowed. This is the ultimate 4K gaming and video editing machine other than HEDT which is a whole different story.   

Image-3-front-and-rear-standing-e1391537320448.jpg

Image-1-inside-view-More-conventional-tower-e1391537232436.jpg

5 hours ago, Hardware Guy said:

Sorry to tell you this. Its not going to work with a 20 or 30 series of cards. Because the design of the HP z230 is not intended for power consuming cards. By that I mean you are going to have overheating and shut down issues with any card that need external power from PSU, even if you upgrade the PSU to 650W or 850W, the case is not intended for the large amount of heat to be dissipated, lack of air intake is the main problem. Futher I dont think the card is going to fit on your mother board.  So, your only option is to upgrade to a 75W card, but the performance boast is less than 30% and GTX 1650Ti  seems to be your only choice, which are not worth it in my opinion.

I noticed that your system came with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM and it is intended as a workstation. If you want gaming with a budget built you should consider intel i5 10500K with 16G 3200 CL 14 DDR4 Ram with a RTX 3060 Ti Card. This will give you the ultimate 2K experience.  If you will be using it to edit videos, its is best to get a Ryzen 5800 or higher and get 32G 3600 CL14 DDR4 RAM and get 3080 or Even 3090, if your budget allowed. This is the ultimate 4K gaming and video editing machine other than HEDT which is a whole different story.   

Hi there,

Thank you for your response, i completly understand everything you are saying and agree, although i was under the illusion that the 3060 and below e.g. 3050/ti wont need supplamentory power connectors ? as per image from Nvidia website. Also when you say i dont think the card will fit on your motherboard, by this do you mean physically? or in terms of pcie generations i.e it requiring gen 4 and mine being gen 3 or something?

Thanks very much.

image.png

5 hours ago, Hardware Guy said:

Taking your advice on the computer build how does this look? 

6 hours ago, lewi2999 said:

Your setup will work more than fine, but it I have a few personal preference maybe for you to consider. 

1. The Corsair AF 275R case is not intended for RGB, as it doesn’t have a clear front panel to show it. You can always do it, but with the money spent you might end up disappointed with the final appearance. As LL fans designed to only lighting up the front, so they look the best from the front,which is covered up by the case.
  2. I am assuming that the 3 in1 pack of LL FANS do come with an lighting node core as the case does not come with one.
  3. The cpu cooler fan is from cooler master and the fan is SF120R RGB Fan. You might not want to mix your RGB fans so it is hard to control with one software and the pattern doesn’t look good. I have seen many people end up regretting it
  4. For the same reason above  try to get an Asus ROG board if you are planning to use Corsair fans, Icue can control most of the ROG boards nowadays.

So here is my suggestion, this can go three ways. First we can focus on budget and the simplest way is to get the Corsair 465X RGB case, it comes with 3 LL fans an lighting node core. And pick a non RGB version of cooler master CPU cooler, and I really like their black finish.  Also get an non RGB motherboard, so the only thing lights up in the case will be the fans. You can get an extra LL fans for exhausting in the back, as the controller can take up to six in total.

Or you can keep the RBG air cooler and using a case from cooler master and hook up all SF120R RGB fans. And get ram and motherboard that is going to synchronize with these fans. 

Alternatively you can try to do it with Corsair as well, Which will end up with better looking RGB, And you can synchronize dominator ram and even graphic card.But you will be limiting your choices to ASUS ROG boards and ASUS Strix 3060 Ti. Considering the level of difficulties to get a 30 series card, I don’t feel very comfortable with this recommendation especially when the cpu is only an i5, It’s going to sitting there and looking at all those RGB devices and saying WTF!  😂

I just want you to know there are these option, but personally I prefer the first option over the other ones. And one last thing for 465X RGB case or the 275R or any other cases with similar dimensions will not fit a top mount radiator, they all have some kind of memory clearance issue. And similarly they will not mount 20 or 30 series GPU vertically unless you are willing sacrifice All PCI E expansion slots with an accessory kits. So please keep this in mind when built your system. Cheers!

5C6A4BC3-0172-48D8-B2BF-1E3756107327.png

00BB3AC1-20B8-4162-9EAD-682595A8294C.jpeg

7 hours ago, lewi2999 said:

Hi there,

Thank you for your response, i completly understand everything you are saying and agree, although i was under the illusion that the 3060 and below e.g. 3050/ti wont need supplamentory power connectors ? as per image from Nvidia website. Also when you say i dont think the card will fit on your motherboard, by this do you mean physically? or in terms of pcie generations i.e it requiring gen 4 and mine being gen 3 or something?

Thanks very much.

image.png

Based on the picture that I found On the original Motherboard that came with the work station. I am more worried about the physical size of the card And the space between the PCI  E slots As it seems to be very close to each other. As for PCIE 2.0 X16 It is enough for 3060 Ti

1 hour ago, Hardware Guy said:

Your setup will work more than fine, but it I have a few personal preference maybe for you to consider. 

1. The Corsair AF 275R case is not intended for RGB, as it doesn’t have a clear front panel to show it. You can always do it, but with the money spent you might end up disappointed with the final appearance. As LL fans designed to only lighting up the front, so they look the best from the front,which is covered up by the case.
  2. I am assuming that the 3 in1 pack of LL FANS do come with an lighting node core as the case does not come with one.
  3. The cpu cooler fan is from cooler master and the fan is SF120R RGB Fan. You might not want to mix your RGB fans so it is hard to control with one software and the pattern doesn’t look good. I have seen many people end up regretting it
  4. For the same reason above  try to get an Asus ROG board if you are planning to use Corsair fans, Icue can control most of the ROG boards nowadays.

So here is my suggestion, this can go three ways. First we can focus on budget and the simplest way is to get the Corsair 465X RGB case, it comes with 3 LL fans an lighting node core. And pick a non RGB version of cooler master CPU cooler, and I really like their black finish.  Also get an non RGB motherboard, so the only thing lights up in the case will be the fans. You can get an extra LL fans for exhausting in the back, as the controller can take up to six in total.

Or you can keep the RBG air cooler and using a case from cooler master and hook up all SF120R RGB fans. And get ram and motherboard that is going to synchronize with these fans. 

Alternatively you can try to do it with Corsair as well, Which will end up with better looking RGB, And you can synchronize dominator ram and even graphic card.But you will be limiting your choices to ASUS ROG boards and ASUS Strix 3060 Ti. Considering the level of difficulties to get a 30 series card, I don’t feel very comfortable with this recommendation especially when the cpu is only an i5, It’s going to sitting there and looking at all those RGB devices and saying WTF!  😂

I just want you to know there are these option, but personally I prefer the first option over the other ones. And one last thing for 465X RGB case or the 275R or any other cases with similar dimensions will not fit a top mount radiator, they all have some kind of memory clearance issue. And similarly they will not mount 20 or 30 series GPU vertically unless you are willing sacrifice All PCI E expansion slots with an accessory kits. So please keep this in mind when built your system. Cheers!

5C6A4BC3-0172-48D8-B2BF-1E3756107327.png

00BB3AC1-20B8-4162-9EAD-682595A8294C.jpeg

Ok, how about this then ? 

If im honest my budget could go a significantly bit higher if its worth upgrading some parts, providing it really will make a big difference, for example the cpu, if going for a i7 instead of i5 for another 100£ or so will make a big difference i am more than willing to do it, so in that case is there anything youd recommend? 

Also one more question i have is how long do you think this PC would last me before it gets to where mine is now, being that its almost un-upgradable and just isnt going to cut it for games anymore? My hope is at least 4 years if not 5 or 6, this is taking into account internal upgrades such as putting a 40 series card in it in/if a few years time to help push it back into the more uptodate catergory. Becouse what i want out of this is something that granted with a few upgrades in years to come will last me a long time before it becomes what my PC is now, meaning its no longer worth just putting in faster ram or a new GPU or somthing esle to make it relevant; thats why my budget could grow a bit if we are going to see good pereformance gains and a longer lifetime.

Many thanks

34 minutes ago, lewi2999 said:

Ok, how about this then ? 

If im honest my budget could go a significantly bit higher if its worth upgrading some parts, providing it really will make a big difference, for example the cpu, if going for a i7 instead of i5 for another 100£ or so will make a big difference i am more than willing to do it, so in that case is there anything youd recommend? 

Also one more question i have is how long do you think this PC would last me before it gets to where mine is now, being that its almost un-upgradable and just isnt going to cut it for games anymore? My hope is at least 4 years if not 5 or 6, this is taking into account internal upgrades such as putting a 40 series card in it in/if a few years time to help push it back into the more uptodate catergory. Becouse what i want out of this is something that granted with a few upgrades in years to come will last me a long time before it becomes what my PC is now, meaning its no longer worth just putting in faster ram or a new GPU or somthing esle to make it relevant; thats why my budget could grow a bit if we are going to see good pereformance gains and a longer lifetime.

Many thanks

Interesting question, in fact I been think it as well over the past month as I was helping my friend building his computer.

It used to be without any questions that computer hardware does not last long. They start to lag after a while, and reinstall the system only temporally solve the problem. But it seems to me that after 2012 computers start to last forever.  And at the same time Moore’s law start to see diminishing returns. While Intel stuck with its 14+++++++++ forever AMD start to rearrange it CPU structure while further reduces its transistors in size.

At this moment, either a Z490 Z590 or a X570 platform will only last you with one generation of CPU, next Ryzen or Tiger lake is irrelevant to all current built. After the discussion with my friend. There are two approaches to the situation. Built on a budget and uses a 3060 TI and that will be sufficient of all 2K gaming, wait until the RTX 4000 series come out, and any processors beyond Tiger lake or Ryzen Next Gen will with DDR 5 will be most likely to be out with enough supply, so the trend is clear, and you can build another system about 3 years from now.   

Another approach is to get 5950X with high end X570 high speed low latency ram with 3090 and skip the 40 series and see what they have next to upgrade to 50 series. This system will last at least 6 years. The benefit of doing so is to enjoy 4K gaming right away, and the cons is about the cost. Hopefully by the end of the 6th year the 60 series came with true 8K gaming capabilities such as 8K 144HZ and DDR5 RAM and 8K gaming Monitor will be in a reasonable price range. But who knows maybe in 6 years bit coins will be over $10M both AMD and NVIDIA will be competing for the world’s largest mining company, and who cares about gamers~?  😒

Lastly, you should get i7 or 5800X and a motherboard that supportsPCI E4.0  if you are thinking of upgrading to 40 series later. As many source have already reviled its going to be 2 core GPU, maybe one of them is delicated to mining only.😂

Hi thanks a lot for the help.

I suppose this really leaves me with two options, wait and save up and go for some really expensive ddr5, rtx 40/50 series or 60 series PC with every imagineable top spec part in a few years from now or in realtivly close future buy this. On the topic of buying one sooner and going for the cheaper option.... how does that i7 and motherboard look? although i dont want to spend

12 hours ago, Hardware Guy said:

Interesting question, in fact I been think it as well over the past month as I was helping my friend building his computer.

It used to be without any questions that computer hardware does not last long. They start to lag after a while, and reinstall the system only temporally solve the problem. But it seems to me that after 2012 computers start to last forever.  And at the same time Moore’s law start to see diminishing returns. While Intel stuck with its 14+++++++++ forever AMD start to rearrange it CPU structure while further reduces its transistors in size.

At this moment, either a Z490 Z590 or a X570 platform will only last you with one generation of CPU, next Ryzen or Tiger lake is irrelevant to all current built. After the discussion with my friend. There are two approaches to the situation. Built on a budget and uses a 3060 TI and that will be sufficient of all 2K gaming, wait until the RTX 4000 series come out, and any processors beyond Tiger lake or Ryzen Next Gen will with DDR 5 will be most likely to be out with enough supply, so the trend is clear, and you can build another system about 3 years from now.   

Another approach is to get 5950X with high end X570 high speed low latency ram with 3090 and skip the 40 series and see what they have next to upgrade to 50 series. This system will last at least 6 years. The benefit of doing so is to enjoy 4K gaming right away, and the cons is about the cost. Hopefully by the end of the 6th year the 60 series came with true 8K gaming capabilities such as 8K 144HZ and DDR5 RAM and 8K gaming Monitor will be in a reasonable price range. But who knows maybe in 6 years bit coins will be over $10M both AMD and NVIDIA will be competing for the world’s largest mining company, and who cares about gamers~?  😒

Lastly, you should get i7 or 5800X and a motherboard that supportsPCI E4.0  if you are thinking of upgrading to 40 series later. As many source have already reviled its going to be 2 core GPU, maybe one of them is delicated to mining only.😂

much more really as budget is 1400-1500 tops is there anything else i could go for? is it worth bumping up the GPU budget to 500£ and seeing what 30 series i can have?

Thanks.

On 3/3/2021 at 8:54 PM, Hardware Guy said:

Ok, after a little more homework i came up with this 

see the bottom for GPU/CPU as they arent exactly available right now. Could you tell me what you think? 

Thanks.