Legion 7 black screen on power up

AnotherGlenn

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with my Lenovo Legion 7 15IMHg05. Whenever I power it on, the screen stays blacks. Keyboard lights and fans work, but the screen remains black for about 20 seconds, and then it reboots. It continuously does this until I power it off from the button. I tried the Lenovo OneKey Recovery (OKR) button with a safety pin, same issue. This started after undervolting the CPU to -100, GPU to -50 and uncore to -100, in Bios. The laptop worked fine for a couple of hours until I powered it off. If I connect the laptop to a monitor, it does not display anything. I would rather not lose all of my data (even though I tried OKR button). Tried reseating the RAM, disconnecting the battery, the CMOS battery, same thing. Is there any way I can reset the BIOS of this laptop? I am sure it is the undervolting that caused this (even though it was not aggressive), and I cannot seem to be able to reset the BIOS settings.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, AnotherGlenn said:

This started after undervolting the CPU to -100, GPU to -50 and uncore to -100, in Bios

How exactly were you doing that in BIOS? Were you using a modded bios? 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

How exactly were you doing that in BIOS? Were you using a modded bios? 

Nope. The newer BIOS versions from Lenovo allows you to Overclock and Undervolt (in Advanced BIOS). I did not do any overclocking, just wanted to Undervolt.

5 minutes ago, AnotherGlenn said:

Nope. The newer BIOS versions from Lenovo allows you to Overclock and Undervolt (in Advanced BIOS). I did not do any overclocking, just wanted to Undervolt.

I was doing similar stuff on my G510 back when I still had it. Issue with that was any chances that were made that would result in laptop not working would require BIOS to be flashed with a programmer or via USB recovery key. If clearing CMOS doesnt work I am afraid that might be the only way.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well, I do not have anything that I can turn into a programmer (and don't know anyone close to me that has anything). Unless this can be done using a different laptop, not much I can do (I could not find anything online on this).

USB Recovery - I do not have much hope for this, as the default Boot drive was the SSD on the laptop. I will try when I get home, though. Thanks!

Update - tried the USB recovery, did not work. It just never came up

However, left the laptop on the whole night without being plugged in. This morning, plugged it back in, turned it on and waited for a few minutes. Now, it starts the BIOS Self Healing process, goes to 100%, says successful, reboots. Then, unfortunately, the BIOS Self Healing process starts all over again. Left it like that for about an hour, this Self Healing Reboot loops is still happening. 

Anyone has any ideas? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Another update, if anyone is interested: 

The Motherboard died, it was burnt apparently. And guess what, it cannot be swapped out, as Lenovo does not have any Legion 7 motherboards in stock. Apparently this is a very common problem, so anyone interested in a Legion 7, please keep this in mind.

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2021 at 4:14 PM, AnotherGlenn said:

Another update, if anyone is interested: 

The Motherboard died, it was burnt apparently. And guess what, it cannot be swapped out, as Lenovo does not have any Legion 7 motherboards in stock. Apparently this is a very common problem, so anyone interested in a Legion 7, please keep this in mind.

Hello Mr. Glenn... im facing the exact problem with the exact same step to causing this problem. You got any update or any help sir?