Truenas or normal machine running windows to host SMB shares?

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

No, SMB performance on Windows is actually better. But you won't notice a difference between either with your hardware so consider other factors like ease of administration and maintenance, TrueNAS might be a better option for those factors.

Currently, I have some Windows(SMB) shares on my laptop(i3-3217U, 8GB). I also have another laptop(pretty old)(Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2). 

Will it be any better to install TrueNAS on the old laptop and host some Windows shares on that? Will I have better transfer speeds(or any other advantage) or am I just better off with my Win10 Laptop?

One thing to note for:

The Win10 Laptop has an SSD while the older one has an HDD. Either way, I am not looking for some blazing fast performance, but just seeing if I could get any performance(or any) improvement.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

No, SMB performance on Windows is actually better. But you won't notice a difference between either with your hardware so consider other factors like ease of administration and maintenance, TrueNAS might be a better option for those factors.

Yeah, no. Especially on a Gigabit network link you're not going to make it go any faster that ~115MB/s.

If you want a pretty WebUI though and the control features that come with TrueNAS it's an option.