Is it possible to have 'doubled' VPN?

caincha

I was thinking I could use one VPN in my router and make it look I am from the UK then another VPN in my computer to make it look like I am from Japan (or anything like that).

Pretty sure on the other end it will look like I am from UK (as the router it sending the signal out) but having it 'doubled' would only slow my connection or actually provide twice the protection in case one VPN drops…?

Been thinking about this for a while since Facebook (+ Instagram/WhatsApp) and Google and Amazon got crazy hungry for our personal data. I mean it's always been like that but it seems they got out of control lately and I don't want to wait for the EU to put hard brakes on them.

Anyway I am a migrant and unfortunately social media is the only way to keep in touch with people back in motherland (for those who would surely say 'just delete social media duh!' 🙄 ). Plus nothing in the interwebs is safe anyway meaning I should have got a VPN long ago but only now is viable to me hence the question on the tittle. 🙂

(BTW: mods if it's in the wrong session I apologise - please move to the right one…? 😅)

1 minute ago, caincha said:

having it 'doubled' would only slow my connection

Pretty much, you will increase your latency significantly without having any extra protection. When your VPN connection that is on the router drops, the other VPN will also drop because your packages would be getting routed through that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

This would make it look like you're in Japan. The packet is originating from your PC, destination is a VPN server in Japan. Your router will send it through the UK VPN, then through the Japan VPN, as that's where the packet from your computer is addressed, then it will go to whatever the final destination is.

It will increase latency significantly, especially if you're planning on using two locations so far away from each other. 

EDIT: But yes, it will work. And in case one goes down, you'll still have the encryption through the other one, yes (assume the other one is still up). 

Yes it most likely be slower.

It will add the range that the data travels.

US -> UK (200ms) -> JAPAN (500ms) -> US website (200ms).

So total close to  1 seconds (1000ms) for the data to reach the website when normally you would only need 5-50ms if you access it locally.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 tunnels adding with another 2 tunnels, it will protect yourself against the 5G mind controlling waves! And more collected data for all them servers!

yes, it's called layering, but you need to do some stuff first, it's not just plug and play, check out youtube for a full guide.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It will increase latency significantly, especially if you're planning on using two locations so far away from each other. 

EDIT: But yes, it will work. And in case one goes down, you'll still have the encryption through the other one, yes (assume the other one is still up). 

Those were examples of-the cuff. I will try to use a couple closer to where I live. Also my internet is what they call 'hyper fiber' - a lot faster than 'regular fiber' and I don't game online so latency won't matter much I suppose…?

3 hours ago, Levent said:

Pretty much, you will increase your latency significantly without having any extra protection. When your VPN connection that is on the router drops, the other VPN will also drop because your packages would be getting routed through that.

What you mean? I will not be using any software - both would be config in the router itself then in the computer itself, no software in-between.

You mean drop the connection though…?

3 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

yes, it's called layering, but you need to do some stuff first, it's not just plug and play, check out youtube for a full guide.

Oh yeah it's going to take me a while but as long as it works as intended I'm ok putting in the work necessary.

4 hours ago, caincha said:

What you mean? I will not be using any software - both would be config in the router itself then in the computer itself, no software in-between.

It's still software even if it's on the router and computer. 

14 hours ago, caincha said:

What make/model of consumer router do you have that can run a VPN client within a VPN client?

Most consumer routers, even on third-party firmware, don’t have the CPU horsepower to run encryption for a single VPN connection and not slow down, let alone two!

Double-VPN is not new. Some VPN providers include connectivity through their apps to “specialty servers” with such features. They usually don’t have a whole lot, but they’re there. I think NordVPN and SurfShark provided this service; not sure if they still do. 

While I think what you’re doing is overkill (and, based on the questions you’re asking, you sound a bit paranoid), I can see where some people might require more control of their online privacy. Take a look at the Tor Project and the wiki article on using Tor with a VPN.

At the end of the day, routing your encrypted traffic through another computer(s) in a different part of the world will increase latency and decrease overall speeds. That’s something you have to accept for the sake of privacy.

Finally, no VPN can provide you with 100% privacy. If the right amount of pressure is placed on a VPN service, they can be forced to release their records even if it’s the little amount that they claim to keep. And VPNs do get hacked; recall NordVPN in 2018.

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What make/model of consumer router do you have that can run a VPN client within a VPN client?

Perhaps I didn't express myself properly - though it was understood above: I would be running a VPN in the router and another in the computer. As mentioned above I belive this is called 'layering'…?

While I think what you’re doing is overkill (and, based on the questions you’re asking, you sound a bit paranoid)

You are probably one of those who think 'I am not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to hide' sort of people.

You are wrong (and I will not go down that rabbit hole) and it's your right as it is my right to say 'no' to all that but I have no other option of exercising my rights other than pay a VPN to ensure some level of privacy.

Finally, no VPN can provide you with 100% privacy. If the right amount of pressure is placed on a VPN service, they can be forced to release their records even if it’s the little amount that they claim to keep. And VPNs do get hacked; recall NordVPN in 2018.

Hence 2 VPNs. If one goes down, the other is still up and running and in the - very unlikely but possible - event that both goes down I very much doubt the data from both will end up in the hands of the same people so whomever gets the data from one will think I am in UK and whomever gets the data from the other will think I am in Japan but neither will know where I really am or what am I really doing online…

15 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

It's still software even if it's on the router and computer. 

Uh… not really… I mean not in the sense of third party software anyways…

I would config one VPN in the router's native software and config another VPN directly in my computer's OS. 

So I think in that scenario the router itself would have to crap out or the OS would have to fail and if any of that happen I would be forced to be offline either way…?

7 hours ago, caincha said:

Uh… not really… I mean not in the sense of third party software anyways…

I would config one VPN in the router's native software and config another VPN directly in my computer's OS. 

So I think in that scenario the router itself would have to crap out or the OS would have to fail and if any of that happen I would be forced to be offline either way…?

Individual services on both can fail without the entire thing shitting the bed so to speak.

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Individual services on both can fail without the entire thing shitting the bed so to speak.

Oh yeah but like I said above:

16 hours ago, caincha said:

Hence 2 VPNs. If one goes down, the other is still up and running and in the - very unlikely but possible - event that both goes down I very much doubt the data from both will end up in the hands of the same people so whomever gets the data from one will think I am in UK and whomever gets the data from the other will think I am in Japan but neither will know where I really am or what am I really doing online…

🙂