System goes to windows splash screen and then hangs

RubyBlade

I'm at wits end on this one.

At the beginning of January, I managed to snag some new parts to do a new PC build. The original build was:

Ryzen 7 5800X
Gigabyte B550-M Aorus Pro-P
G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 8Gx2
EVGA RTX 3070
Seasonic Focus GX-1000
WD Blue 1TB 3d NAND SSD

I popped everything in the case and it worked great! I was very happy. Then, one day, it randomly decided that it wouldn't boot, with no POST errors- when I pressed the power button, the fans spun and absolutely nothing happened. I tried all the usual tricks (clear CMOS, try with one stick of RAM, try out of the case, try with nothing in other than the cpu, etc.) with no result. At this point, I figured that the mobo must be dead for it to not even try to POST, so I bought a new one, this time an AsRock B550 PG Velocitia. I move all of the components over to see if it will work in the new motherboard. This time, it POST's just fine, and I can get to the BIOS. But, if I let it try to boot, the prompt to go to the BIOS goes away and it just hangs with the AsRock logo up. If I go into the BIOS and select my SSD as the boot drive, it brings up the windows logo just to tease me, and then still hangs. Same symptoms if I try to boot from a USB windows install disk. I then move all of my components except the CPU and mobo over to my old system just to make sure that nothing else is causing the error. So now, the build is as above, except with a Gigabyte Aorus AX-370 Gaming-5 and a Ryzen 1700. The usb install disk now works, I reinstall windows, and everything is good. System works fine, and has for over a month at this point.

At this point, I figure that the cpu is also dead, and that probably either the cpu dying killed the mobo, or the other way around. I decide to RMA the cpu with AMD. Box it up, ship it off, and I wait a week. They say that they looked at it and are sending a replacement. Wait another week. It comes in today, and so I install it in the AsRock board again with all the other components, and I have the exact same problem- it post's, goes to a splash screen, and then just sits there. I again try clearing the CMOS, booting with one stick of ram, booting with no ssd, etc and still no success. 

I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Quick update: in all of this I never updated my motherboard's bios. I just did that and it fixed the issue.