Selling RTX Photos on Ebay

JohnSmith2

I have seen tons of listing like these on Ebay, where the seller is just selling a printed-out picture of the RTX 3080/3090 in order to trick bots into bidding on it without actually having to sell them a real card. I guess I don't really understand how the bots work; are they actually going through with the transaction and purchasing the printed image for that price? Or does somebody step in later on, realizing the listing is fake and cancels the transaction? Or do they just dispute it afterward?

In other words, are people actually making any money selling images of RTX cards?

I didn't know this was a thing I laughed out loud, it's sad to see some innocent people will actually fall for it though, if you see in the comments there is someone saying they didn't realize it was just a picture and the cancellation didn't go through.

I've been seeing this for months. I do of course feel bad for those people, but I just wonder if it's actually getting any of the people who run the bots.

37 minutes ago, JohnSmith2 said:

In other words, are people actually making any money selling images of RTX cards?

Yes.

Years ago, you could get one over on someone on eBay by listing a "picture of a" thing. You'd disclose in the smallest, most out of the way places in the listing, that all the buyer was getting was a printed picture, then list it with a really good price. Someone would inevitably come along, see it, not read the description and buy it. They'd freak out when they got a picture in the mail, cry to eBay and be told that the seller clearly disclosed that it was a picture, so they're SOL.

eBay is a little more consumer friendly these days, and anyone who complains would get their money back instantly. Thing is, not everyone complains. There are Hardware Justice Warriors out there who do this trying to get huge mining operations to buy their "GPU". If nothing else, they've tied up that money for a few weeks. Best case scenario, the mining operation is so big that they legit do not care or (this is the golden ticket), they're offshore and using a freight forwarder to get the GPU to them. If that's the case, they're completely screwed. eBay stops giving a shit about you when you use a forwarder. The Hardware Justice Warrior has just gotten a bunch of free money.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

46 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Yes.

Years ago, you could get one over on someone on eBay by listing a "picture of a" thing. You'd disclose in the smallest, most out of the way places in the listing, that all the buyer was getting was a printed picture, then list it with a really good price. Someone would inevitably come along, see it, not read the description and buy it. They'd freak out when they got a picture in the mail, cry to eBay and be told that the seller clearly disclosed that it was a picture, so they're SOL.

eBay is a little more consumer friendly these days, and anyone who complains would get their money back instantly. Thing is, not everyone complains. There are Hardware Justice Warriors out there who do this trying to get huge mining operations to buy their "GPU". If nothing else, they've tied up that money for a few weeks. Best case scenario, the mining operation is so big that they legit do not care or (this is the golden ticket), they're offshore and using a freight forwarder to get the GPU to them. If that's the case, they're completely screwed. eBay stops giving a shit about you when you use a forwarder. The Hardware Justice Warrior has just gotten a bunch of free money.

Interesting. I wonder if my printer has any ink left in it...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

2 hours ago, The Pizza Thief said:

I didn't know this was a thing I laughed out loud, it's sad to see some innocent people will actually fall for it though, if you see in the comments there is someone saying they didn't realize it was just a picture and the cancellation didn't go through.

Could be an innocent person, could be a scalper. Still, usually adds that target scalpers have that disclaimed much better so this one stinks of scam.

Keep in mind that was just one example that I linked. They are everywhere on Ebay where the disclosure is more obvious. Do you think they are getting more scalpers or innocent people?

I made one of those.

Had a stock photo of a 3070 FE, and then two pictures of what you'd actually get - the picture, and a floppy disk with an insulting message (no swearing).

Bidding got to $475 (all bots) and eBay cancelled it - and then suspended my account.

elephants