Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU at 100c Idle - Please Help

Go to solution Solved by Sorenson,
49 minutes ago, rchlel said:

I couldn't unplug one of the fans but I'm almost positive the noise I'm hearing is the pump.

100c idling on an AIO is almost certainly a dead pump like others have said. Another way you can test this is by swapping out the AIO with a stock cooler if you have one. If you don’t I would contact the OEM you bought it from/AIO manufacturer if you built it your self to get a replacement cooler. 

I started to notice a couple days ago that my PC was starting to lag and yesterday I wasn't even able to get to task manager cause it was so overloaded. I checked my CPU temp and It's consistently at 100c even when I'm not doing anything, and It won't drop. I've tried cleaning everything, reapplying thermal paste, checked the fans and nothing has helped. Any help is appreciated.

CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (6x 3.70GHz/12MB L3 Cache)

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X - USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

RAM:
16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - ADATA XPG D10

Video Card:
AMD Radeon RX 580 - 4GB (VR-Ready) - Single Card

Power Supply:
600 Watt - Thermaltake Smart Series - 80 PLUS Gold

Processor Cooling:
iBUYPOWER 120mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System

Operating System:
Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

Sounds to me like your AIO might have a dead pump. To verify this, try squeezing lightly on the tubes while the PC is on. If it's working, you should be able to feel some coolant moving through. 

My System: 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC •  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White) • ASUS VG27AQ • Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum • Logitech G502 Hero

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Does the pump work on whatever AIO that is?

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

6 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Sounds to me like your AIO might have a dead pump. To verify this, try squeezing lightly on the tubes while the PC is on. If it's working, you should be able to feel some coolant moving through. 

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Does the pump work on whatever AIO that is?

Sadly the tube is braided so I can't check that way. Is there anything else I can do?

image0.jpg

1 minute ago, rchlel said:

Sadly the tube is braided so I can't check that way. Is there anything else I can do?

image0.jpg

If you put your ear up to the pump can you hear it?

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you put your ear up to the pump can you hear it?

I do hear a sound, I'm not 100% sure It's the pump.

1 minute ago, rchlel said:

I do hear a sound, I'm not 100% sure It's the pump.

If you unplug all of the fans can you hear it?

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: FULL SPECS IN A TROUBLESHOOTING QUESTION AND TO NOT BE A DICK IF SOMEONE CANT FIGURE OUT THE ISSUE

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you unplug all of the fans can you hear it?

I couldn't unplug one of the fans but I'm almost positive the noise I'm hearing is the pump.

49 minutes ago, rchlel said:

100c idling on an AIO is almost certainly a dead pump like others have said. Another way you can test this is by swapping out the AIO with a stock cooler if you have one. If you don’t I would contact the OEM you bought it from/AIO manufacturer if you built it your self to get a replacement cooler. 

12 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Alright. I'm probably gonna have to buy a different AIO cause my warranty is expired. Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, rchlel said:

Alright. I'm probably gonna have to buy a different AIO cause my warranty is expired. Thanks for the help!

I’ve had really good luck with Corsair AIOs lasting a long time, plus their warranty is really solid.

You should call IBUYPOWER since it's an IBUYPOWER system and since it's definitely an issue and not a false alarm.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
6 hours ago, Thomas001 said:

You should call IBUYPOWER since it's an IBUYPOWER system and since it's definitely an issue and not a false alarm.

I called them and they said they don't sell individual parts and my warranty is expired. 😬

3 hours ago, rchlel said:

my warranty is expired. 

Oh sorry I didn't know your warranty was expired

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Got a new cooler and temps went down to 35-40c idle. Thank you everyone for the help.