Crazy Europe prices

GijsCollet

So, I was looking at the budget I have to save up to buy a 3080 when they are finally available (somewhat).

The cheapest price I find trough an officical retailer is €1100, converted that equals 1324USD. Those are scalper prices in America! A quick search in America they start around 840 USD.

I know there always have been price differences. But this is absolutely massive?

Anybody knows why that is?

GPU shortage. Those cards are still hard to get in many area, and the demand is still quite high. If you like, maybe wait for the GPU stock to be more available (if they will), then you can see the price will drop.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Btw, 3090 starts at €2300 (almost 2800USD)

I understand the shortage and demand vs availability issue, but I think it is crazy for the official stores to jack up their prices like this. They are basically acting like scalpers... 

13 minutes ago, GijsCollet said:

Btw, 3090 starts at €2300 (almost 2800USD)

I understand the shortage and demand vs availability issue, but I think it is crazy for the official stores to jack up their prices like this. They are basically acting like scalpers... 

I think they bought it from scalpers, since scalpers have the stocks readily available now.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

2 hours ago, GijsCollet said:

They are basically acting like scalpers... 

Well, technically that is what stores do... last gen wasn't all that different, except availability was better and prices a little less outrageous - I paid 330 for a 1060 from Amazon, sold by Amazon 2 years ago for example - and that was *cheap* most other offers were like 370 and up! 

Amazon also sold 1070 cards for around 600 euros just in October - are they now scalpers? well yes, of course, but do we call them like that? no, obviously not, they're 'retailers', different words, same difference lol. 

Hope this helps! 

PS: 

Spoiler

20210302_044935.thumb.jpg.a71b3e3cde7d0871bfe63bb1d159465f.jpg

from 'November 20'

a good card, just nowhere near worth that much, I think was even more in September / October lol...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Well, technically that is what stores do... last gen wasn't all that different, except availability was better and prices a little less outrageous - I paid 330 for a 1060 from Amazon, sold by Amazon 2 years ago for example - and that was *cheap* most other offers were like 370 and up! 

Amazon also sold 1070 cards for around 600 euros just in October - are they now scalpers? well yes, of course, but do we call them like that? no, obviously not, they're 'retailers', different words, same difference lol. 

Hope this helps! 

PS: 

Reveal hidden contents

20210302_044935.thumb.jpg.a71b3e3cde7d0871bfe63bb1d159465f.jpg

from 'November 20'

a good card, just nowhere near worth that much, I think was even more in September / October lol...

This was why I didn't buy a 2080 TI. I didn't want to spend $1700 on a GPU.

This is why I'm not buying a 6800XT right now. I don't want to spend $1800 on a GPU.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 minutes ago, Sarra said:

This was why I didn't buy a 2080 TI. I didn't want to spend $1700 on a GPU.

This is why I'm not buying a 6800XT right now. I don't want to spend $1800 on a GPU.

yeah some cards were always way above 'msrp'... some just slightly... 

well I did buy the 1060 for 330, knowing full well that's a rip off... but I kinda needed a gpu lol... and it was hard enough to find it that 'cheap' 🙃

wanna see something funny, re: 'retailers' especially Amazon? 

25838005_Screenshot_20210302-050341_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.89e0ea2525f5c90cc04bf279c4fa9bb1.jpg

just found this gem  😂 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Mark Kaine There's nothing 'wrong' with buying a product for more than MSRP, especially if it has value add (like extra features, better OC, etc.), but only as long as you know what you're going to get. 😄 Possibly an exception, as you mentioned, you 'need it right now', and it's all that is available. XD

I personally don't think that a 6800XT is worth $1800. I'm just going to wait until they drop to something more reasonable, and pick it up then.

4 minutes ago, Sarra said:

There's nothing 'wrong' with buying a product for more than MSRP, especially if it has value add (like extra features, better OC, etc.

no, of course not, when i bought the 3070 for 570, I knew that probably wasn't much over msrp, and I knew it's at least an ok card, it was at a time when retailers here still tried to sell at 'normal' prices and it really wasn't clear just how bad it would get just a month later... 

So yeah paying a bit more is 'fine' (and kinda expected if you're in Europe lol) as long it's "reasonable" 

8 minutes ago, Sarra said:

a 6800XT is worth $1800

which this of course isn't, prices are really through the roof... 

I kinda think while you might be able to get it at a reasonable price, I also think at that point there'll already be new cards - though with the supply issues that's just speculation, maybe they're extending the life cycle of current gen cards, though probably not nvidia - they'll probably come up with something like '3660 ti' sooner or later lol. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

These Graphic Cards are too much expensive but if you live in Europe then the prices will be more expensive than anywhere else around the world. Why is it so?

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

I kinda think while you might be able to get it at a reasonable price, I also think at that point there'll already be new cards

I'm not so sure. I actually want a 6800XT, it's basically in line with the specs I intend for my main PC (5900X, 32GB DDR4, 6800XT, several 2TB SSD's), and I'm expecting them to become more plentiful in the coming months. The next gen cards probably won't be out for 8 months to a year, I'm guessing, unless there's maybe a 6900 (non XT), or maybe a 6950 or something similar...

Just now, michelletaylor said:

These Graphic Cards are too much expensive but if you live in Europe then the prices will be more expensive than anywhere else around the world. Why is it so?

I'd guess it's probably a combination of taxes, import fees (which is basically taxes), and shipping costs?

1 hour ago, michelletaylor said:

Seems very few people consider the fact that EU has much much higher VAT than US has sales tax, so even with "same starting price", anything in EU is 10-20% more expensive. That's just a start. The second thing is, we have different import taxes as well (GPUs even had 0 import tax policy in US for some time!) and lastly, EU market is not run by consumerism so hard, so stores are more inclined to having market prices vs US, where they just want to move more stock. That's why in US they even keep msrp at some stores, then scalpers resell these with market driven prices, whereas in EU we just have market driven prices in the first place.

Oh now I understand, Thanks for the clear explanation. 

21 hours ago, Cris.py said:

Seems very few people consider the fact that EU has much much higher VAT than US has sales tax, so even with "same starting price", anything in EU is 10-20% more expensive. That's just a start. The second thing is, we have different import taxes as well (GPUs even had 0 import tax policy in US for some time!) and lastly, EU market is not run by consumerism so hard, so stores are more inclined to having market prices vs US, where they just want to move more stock. That's why in US they even keep msrp at some stores, then scalpers resell these with market driven prices, whereas in EU we just have market driven prices in the first place.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that this is basically a dead thread and bringing it up is moot, but for reference if anyone wants to chart it up:
cheapest 3060 (non-Ti version): 1055 USD
if we try to break it down and calculate with a modest 10% retail profit:
10% profit * 12% import tax * 27% vat it comes to about 690 USD base price. which is more than double of the original MSRP of 330$

cheapest 3080: 2760 USD
same formula, gives about 1765 USD base price... which is more than double of the original MSRP of 700$.

olcso_3060.PNG

olcso_3080.PNG