Just got my second 3090 FE card (RMA the first one), card will not boot!

I'm on my second 3090 FE card after my first one was RMA'd back to Nvidia. I still have the same issue and cannot figure it out. 

I9-9900KS
MSI Z390 ACE
32GB 3000Mhz G.Skill memory
1TB 970 M.2
2TB 860 SSD
3x 8TB Seagate HDD

1050W 80+Gold PSU

2x MSI Gaming X trio 2080ti

Trying to swap my 2080ti's out for a single 3090 FE, but I cannot get the card to boot! I've tried multiple drivers (461.70 and 462.72) after using DDU to completely remove the old ones. I only get a display output in Windows 10 Safe Mode. Doesn't matter which PCIe slot the card is in. RGB on the card stays white and the fan stops spinning after a few minutes. MSI MoBo has been updated to the latest bios and I've now been escalated to "Level 2" Nvidia support.

If I plonk one or both of my 2080ti's back in and update the driver, everything works fine! HELP!!!!!

Ok so your saying the 3090 gives a display output to the monitor, correct? I feel like this is a problem with your install of Windows if the GPU is displaying something. Does the PC work enough to get to the BIOS with the 3090? 

Also just realized this is your first post! 

Welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the warm welcome!

The 3090 will work for the bios and the windows startup screen, but that's it. Unless I boot into Safe Mode, then I get 800x600 resolution and the fan on the card eventually stops. which makes me think it's just being used as a pass-through for the intel graphics.

You're sure you DDU'd the drivers correctly?
Just to be sure, run DDU for an NVIDIA GPU with the shutdown option enabled, then swap in the 3090 and see if it works.

elephants

2 minutes ago, WhyUSquishy said:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

The 3090 will work for the bios and the windows startup screen, but that's it. Unless I boot into Safe Mode, then I get 800x600 resolution and the fan on the card eventually stops. which makes me think it's just being used as a pass-through for the intel graphics.

Its highly unlikely the IGPU is passing through, I would like you to try, if at all possible, a different boot SSD with a fresh install of Windows, if that is not an option, I would recommend using the IGPU to save all important stuff on the C drive and giving it a format, then re installing windows. I know these recommendations seem extreme, but they very well could have you a ton of time fixing your current install. 

It really does not sound like a dead 3090, especially as you have had the issue happen on two different 3090s, it really just sounds like windows being a buggy mess that it is.

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

You're sure you DDU'd the drivers correctly?
Just to be sure, run DDU for an NVIDIA GPU with the shutdown option enabled, then swap in the 3090 and see if it works.

Yup! After I use the DDU, I can start Windows up normally. I have the same 800x600 display resolution I get in Safe Mode. As soon as I install the Nvidia driver....complete darkness...

5 minutes ago, WhyUSquishy said:

Yup! After I use the DDU, I can start Windows up normally. I have the same 800x600 display resolution I get in Safe Mode. As soon as I install the Nvidia driver....complete darkness...

Which version are you installing?

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Which version are you installing?

DDU version 18.0.3.7, performing the uninstall in Safe Mode.

Then installing the current version of Nvidia driver 462.72...I think...

Nvidia customer support had me try an older driver 461.40, but no change.

8 minutes ago, WhyUSquishy said:

Please switch to a different displayport connector on the card.  Alternatively, try the HDMI port.  Or even try a different displayport cable.

Just now, WhyUSquishy said:

DDU version 18.0.3.7, performing the uninstall in Safe Mode.

Then installing the current version of Nvidia driver 462.72...I think...

Nvidia customer support had me try an older driver 461.40, but no change.

Can you try 461.07?
It's a bit of a longshot, but I've never seen this issue before.

elephants

8 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

Its highly unlikely the IGPU is passing through, I would like you to try, if at all possible, a different boot SSD with a fresh install of Windows, if that is not an option, I would recommend using the IGPU to save all important stuff on the C drive and giving it a format, then re installing windows. I know these recommendations seem extreme, but they very well could have you a ton of time fixing your current install. 

It really does not sound like a dead 3090, especially as you have had the issue happen on two different 3090s, it really just sounds like windows being a buggy mess that it is.

This is a little more extreme than I was hoping for...let's call this plan C or D... I have an external 1TB NVMe I can backup my C: drive to tomorrow.

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

Can you try 461.07?
It's a bit of a longshot, but I've never seen this issue before.

Sure, can't make it worse. I'll give it a try tomorrow while I'm "working" from home...

2 minutes ago, WhyUSquishy said:

This is a little more extreme than I was hoping for...let's call this plan C or D... I have an external 1TB NVMe I can backup my 😄 drive to tomorrow.

It may sound extreme, but it has always worked for me, I like to format and reinstall windows every year or so, it just makes the PC so much faster feeling. I would continue to try other versions of the drivers, and maybe a different version of DDU, but it is good to have a backup plan. 

6 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Please switch to a different displayport connector on the card.  Alternatively, try the HDMI port.  Or even try a different displayport cable.

I'm using an HDMI port on the card with the same cable and display that work with my 2080ti's

On 3/1/2021 at 6:02 PM, IAMABOSS said:

It may sound extreme, but it has always worked for me, I like to format and reinstall windows every year or so, it just makes the PC so much faster feeling. I would continue to try other versions of the drivers, and maybe a different version of DDU, but it is good to have a backup plan. 

Just performed a windows reinstall. Everything worked normally and I was able to run Superposition benchmark. When I restored using the image from my backup, all my problems returned...

Got everything up and running happy again. Started changing some settings and....BOOM!! As soon as I turn HDR on from the windows display settings menu....gone. Back to square one. 

Rebooted into low resolution video mode, unselected HDR in windows settings menu, reboot. Back to normal!

Could there be something wrong with the Windows 10 HDR setting that doesn't play nice with the new Nvidia FE cards?

2 hours ago, WhyUSquishy said:

Just performed a windows reinstall. Everything worked normally and I was able to run Superposition benchmark. When I restored using the image from my backup, all my problems returned...

I figured that Windows was being super buggy, something in your old install really did not like the 3090, I am glad it is working now!

On your HDR question, Windows 10 has a super bad implementation of HDR, it will likely get patched out with driver updates over time.

I am curious on what display your running as well as the resolution and refresh rate, could be something with the monitor/tv. 

1 hour ago, IAMABOSS said:

I figured that Windows was being super buggy, something in your old install really did not like the 3090, I am glad it is working now!

On your HDR question, Windows 10 has a super bad implementation of HDR, it will likely get patched out with driver updates over time.

I am curious on what display your running as well as the resolution and refresh rate, could be something with the monitor/tv. 

It's a 65" LG OLED running at 4k 60hz.