Odyssey G9 with a 2070 SUPER

RooTs57

So I just ordered a Odyssey G9 and am running a i7-10900K with an RTX 2070 SUPER for my sim racing rig.  This isn't by design, I'm more than willing to also buy an RTX 3080/3090 but it seems like I've got a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa at the moment.  Will I still be able to respectfully run this monitor at the expense of lowering the settings until I can get a proper GPU?  I'm kinda new to to modern gaming PCs and I don't know what to expect so thanks for any advice here.

5 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

Will I still be able to respectfully run this monitor

Yes, maybe not at 240fps all the time.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

7 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

So I just ordered a Odyssey G9 and am running a i7-10900K with an RTX 2070 SUPER for my sim racing rig.  This isn't by design, I'm more than willing to also buy an RTX 3080/3090 but it seems like I've got a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa at the moment.  Will I still be able to respectfully run this monitor at the expense of lowering the settings until I can get a proper GPU?  I'm kinda new to to modern gaming PCs and I don't know what to expect so thanks for any advice here.

Well It'll mostly depend on the games you're playing. The 2070S should serve as a fine placeholder, and like iracing, forza motorsport, project cars, f1, assetto corsa, ect. aren't super intensive games, but even so I'm not super confident you'd be getting over 240fps in at least some of those games.- 5120x1440 is a lot of pixels to push. Despite that, It should be totally fine and 100% playable, if that's what you're concerned about however, especially at low. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

5 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

I just ordered a Odyssey G9 and am running a i7-10900K with an RTX 2070 SUPER for my sim racing rig.  [...]  Will I still be able to respectfully run this monitor at the expense of lowering the settings until I can get a proper GPU?

What games/sims will you be running?

I am using a 2070 Super on a 4K screen (which is about the same amount of pixels as a G9). A lot of games still run absolutely fine, but for some I do have to lower the settings.

The closest thing to a racing sim that I play is Dirt Rally 2.0, which runs totally fine on my 2070S + 4K screen.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, minibois said:

What games/sims will you be running?

I am using a 2070 Super on a 4K screen (which is about the same amount of pixels as a G9). A lot of games still run absolutely fine, but for some I do have to lower the settings.

The closest thing to a racing sim that I play is Dirt Rally 2.0, which runs totally fine on my 2070S + 4K screen.

I just got into iRacing and I really enjoy Dirt Rally 2.0.  I also play WRC 9.  I just finally switched to PC after running an Xbox for the last few years.  I have invested about $4k in my sim rig over the last year (not including the pc) and really the only logical step forward was to run it on a gaming PC since the peripherals support on Xbox is so limited and also very limited on sim racing titles.  Thanks for the replies, I'm going to be a bit lost until I educate myself on modern gaming PCs.

7 minutes ago, RooTs57 said:

I just got into iRacing and I really enjoy Dirt Rally 2.0.  I also play WRC 9.  I just finally switched to PC after running an Xbox for the last few years.  I have invested about $4k in my sim rig over the last year (not including the pc) and really the only logical step forward was to run it on a gaming PC since the peripherals support on Xbox is so limited and also very limited on sim racing titles.  Thanks for the replies, I'm going to be a bit lost until I educate myself on modern gaming PCs.

Dirt Rally 2.0 should run totally fine.

It has been a bit since I played it, but from what I remember I have it on pretty high settings and I get a consistent 60fps.

I can't find too much hands on feedback on iRacing, so can't comment on that unfortunately.

P.S. You should totally consider sharing some pictures of your sim racing setup for the setup thread:

Would love to see the type of equipment you're running.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

35 minutes ago, minibois said:

Dirt Rally 2.0 should run totally fine.

It has been a bit since I played it, but from what I remember I have it on pretty high settings and I get a consistent 60fps.

I can't find too much hands on feedback on iRacing, so can't comment on that unfortunately.

P.S. You should totally consider sharing some pictures of your sim racing setup for the setup thread:

Would love to see the type of equipment you're running.

Thanks for the reply! btw I just posted a pick of my setup on the Battle Stations page