My PC just broke

Hi guys so I’ll try keep it short but basically here’s my build firstly:

cpu - 5600x (recently put it in at the weekend- has been working great!)

mobo - gigabyte b450m DS3H

gpu - power cooler 5700xt

psu - Corsair rm650x

ram - Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 (4x8gb) 

anyways so my PC was working perfect and was literally playing Warzone/college all day with it not a single problem. Put the PC in sleep mode (windows 10) and went to make dinner.

Came back up snd keyboard wasn’t lit up snd screen was still blank. Tried wake it but no luck. So just powered on and off….same thing, no display being put out or that and no USB connected devices were turning on etc BUT my whole PC seemed like it was turning on e.g all fans AMD the AIO were turning on and the little orange led on mobo too.

fast forward I been asking discord for help so what I have done so far is:

- reseat ram and gpu 

- tried with single ram stick different ones and slots

- cleared cmos

- tried different display port cable

and obviously many times of complete restart but still…no display and keyboard/mouse/controller getting no power when plugged into usb and all. 

so I ask any ideas?? I seen online it could be my mobo failed? And then few others say PSU which I feel shouldn’t considering it is a good one and I also have surge protector and all.

anyways any more info just ask but yep….my night has been great!

You said you added the 5600x recently, have you updated the bios (especially important if you have a b450 motherboard because otherwise it can be finiky like this)

9 minutes ago, KMD845 said:

Hi guys so I’ll try keep it short but basically here’s my build firstly:

cpu - 5600x (recently put it in at the weekend- has been working great!)

mobo - gigabyte b450m DS3H

gpu - power cooler 5700xt

psu - Corsair rm650x

ram - Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 (4x8gb) 

anyways so my PC was working perfect and was literally playing Warzone/college all day with it not a single problem. Put the PC in sleep mode (windows 10) and went to make dinner.

Came back up snd keyboard wasn’t lit up snd screen was still blank. Tried wake it but no luck. So just powered on and off….same thing, no display being put out or that and no USB connected devices were turning on etc BUT my whole PC seemed like it was turning on e.g all fans AMD the AIO were turning on and the little orange led on mobo too.

fast forward I been asking discord for help so what I have done so far is:

- reseat ram and gpu 

- tried with single ram stick different ones and slots

- cleared cmos

- tried different display port cable

and obviously many times of complete restart but still…no display and keyboard/mouse/controller getting no power when plugged into usb and all. 

so I ask any ideas?? I seen online it could be my mobo failed? And then few others say PSU which I feel shouldn’t considering it is a good one and I also have surge protector and all.

anyways any more info just ask but yep….my night has been great!

If you’re not getting POST then it’s improper connections, faulty wires, loose connections, improper placement of hardware, no power, etc... You’ll have to make sure everything is properly connected, no loose connection, no faulty wiring, etc... And you’ll need to be thoroughly to make sure you didn’t miss any obvious.

Check every nooks and crannies like properly mounting your CPU and making sure it’s secured and locked.

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

You said you added the 5600x recently, have you updated the bios (especially important if you have a b450 motherboard because otherwise it can be finiky like this)

Yep! Updated before I put it in and then I put the 5600x in and have been using it the last like 3 days no problem. Then this all just happened in the last 3 hours

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

If you’re not getting POST then it’s improper connections, faulty wires, loose connections, improper placement of hardware, no power, etc... You’ll have to make sure everything is properly connected, no loose connection, no faulty wiring, etc... And you’ll need to be thoroughly to make sure you didn’t miss any obvious.

I’ll need to check my PSU wires more than likely but I can imagine anything disconnected as I didn’t move the PC. Also I did check all the motherboard connections and reset them. Only wires I didn’t check are the actual PSU cables i.e tried different wires see if any the actual wires or broken

2 minutes ago, KMD845 said:

I’ll need to check my PSU wires more than likely but I can imagine anything disconnected as I didn’t move the PC. Also I did check all the motherboard connections and reset them. Only wires I didn’t check are the actual PSU cables i.e tried different wires see if any the actual wires or broken

Check everything. CPU, power cable to motherboard is secured, correct wiring on motherboard, loose power cable on PSU, etc...

You may not think there’s no loose connection because the PC never moved, but in reality it could of been loosely connected when you installed it and only now came undone.

Well the ds3h is one of the lowest end b450 boards out there and has been known to fail with all older 8 cores and up (also some reports with 6 core ryzens) as it has a pretty darn bad vrms.

Just now, jaslion said:

Well the ds3h is one of the lowest end b450 boards out there and has been known to fail with all older 8 cores and up (also some reports with 6 core ryzens) as it has a pretty darn bad vrms.

Would the said problems tend to be linked to a bad mobo (all fans powering on and all but no display or usb connections)

2 minutes ago, KMD845 said:

Would the said problems tend to be linked to a bad mobo (all fans powering on and all but no display or usb connections)

Since everything does seem to start but usb is out. I'd say try without a card and see if your usb devices get power. Of course no display will be had but might help. Then again it's very common for this board to fail with higher demand chips.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Since everything does seem to start but usb is out. I'd say try without a card and see if your usb devices get power. Of course no display will be had but might help. Then again it's very common for this board to fail with higher demand chips.

Tried it already and sadly same thing basically, turned on (fans and lights) but keyboard and mouse didn’t 

Hi again guys,

so update. I got a new motherboard as I assumed it was that (got a asus rog b550-a) and I fitted it in. Same problem so then I borrowed one of my friends old asus HD7000 (or something) gpu and tried it and yep IT WORKED!

So at this moment in time I’m assuming my gpu somehow just died? Would a dead GPU somehow cause loss of USB connectivity as well as an obvious black screen? 

also what could of just happened my gpu to die?

21 minutes ago, KMD845 said:

Hi again guys,

so update. I got a new motherboard as I assumed it was that (got a asus rog b550-a) and I fitted it in. Same problem so then I borrowed one of my friends old asus HD7000 (or something) gpu and tried it and yep IT WORKED!

So at this moment in time I’m assuming my gpu somehow just died? Would a dead GPU somehow cause loss of USB connectivity as well as an obvious black screen? 

also what could of just happened my gpu to die?

It makes sense that your GPU would cause the other issues. The 5600 has no integrated graphics. If your GPU goes out, pc wont post. Can you test your GPU in your friend's system?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?