What Air based CPU Heat Sink and memory would be a good fit for a AMD 5950X or 5900X and ASUS X570-E build?

Meduszala

Other details Currently working planning a new AMD 5950X build  on an ASUS X570-E  when parts are in stock

to update my 10 year old AMD Phenom II X6 1090T system. I'm old fashioned and have always been an air cool fan (pun intended).

Was always used to using the stock heat sink and fan for the CPU but its now al carte.

1. So was wondering for air coolers that have the ASUS X570 E Strix what Heat Sink /fans do you like for the AMD 5950 or 5900? 

2. Also since these are bigger units was wondering what kind of height limits are there for the DDR slots?

not sure on what memory to get right now because of unknown height restrictions. Looking at using 2 X 16 3200 or 3600 kits   

Looking at also adding a RTX 3080  later on when available. 

Welcome to the forums!!!

16 minutes ago, Meduszala said:

1. So was wondering for air coolers that have the ASUS X570 E Strix what Heat Sink /fans do you like for the AMD 5950 or 5900? 

You're going to want to use a big air cooler, such as a be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua NH-D15.

16 minutes ago, Meduszala said:

2. Also since these are bigger units was wondering what kind of height limits are there for the DDR slots?

not sure on what memory to get right now because of unknown height restrictions. Looking at using 2 X 16 3200 or 3600 kits   

Looking at also adding a RTX 3080  later on when available. 

It depends on what RAM you want to pair which cooler with. CPU coolers tend to have a clearance specification that can be found on the manufacturer's product page for RAM. Also depends on what case you are going to use first, before deciding what RAM as cases have a max CPU cooler height clearance. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

You're going to want to use a big air cooler, such as a be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or a Noctua NH-D15.

It depends on what RAM you want to pair which cooler with. CPU coolers tend to have a clearance specification that can be found on the manufacturer's product page for RAM. Also depends on what case you are going to use first, before deciding what RAM as cases have a max CPU cooler height clearance. 

Thanks -- Still looking at what case I am going get. I am still old fashioned in the way I load some media in that I'd like at least 1 maybe 2 5.25 bays for an optical BD. 

I do know  thought that I will be looking for a full case case size and it doesn't have to be all crazy with a bunch fluffy RGB. 

Dark Rock Pro 4 and NH-D15 are as good as you can get when it comes to air coolers.

RAM clearance isn't a critical issue because both coolers allow you to adjust the front fan. That being said, I would still go for the shortest RAM you can find so that you lose as little fan area as possible and also so the fan doesn't extend beyond the cooling tower, which may cause it not to fit in your case.

Just now, Meduszala said:

Thanks -- Still looking at what case I am going get. I am still old fashioned in the way I load some media in that I'd like at least 1 maybe 2 5.25 bays for an optical BD. 

I do know  thought that I will be looking for a full case case size and it doesn't have to be all crazy with a bunch fluffy RGB. 

No worries, still got ODDs in my case right now. 

Have you considered the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition??? It's a pretty modern looking case (albeit with a acrylic side panel) and has room for some ODDs. I've also seen cases from a company called anidees that offers full tower cases with room for ODD expansion.  

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

No worries, still got ODDs in my case right now. 

Have you considered the Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition??? It's a pretty modern looking case (albeit with a acrylic side panel) and has room for some ODDs. I've also seen cases from a company called anidees that offers full tower cases with room for ODD expansion.  

Corsair Obsidian 750D is on my shortlist didn't know how well it would do with airflow with the RTX 3080 and AMD 5900 series

Just now, Meduszala said:

Corsair Obsidian 750D is on my shortlist didn't know how well it would do with airflow with the RTX 3080 and AMD 5900 series

Also, Cooler Master MasterCase (Pro) 5 style and its derivatives but they are mid towers. For the 750D, there is the Standard Edition and the Airflow Edition (front mesh instead of a solid panel). It's always hard to recommend a case with ODDs still as they are going out of style.  

If price and appearance are not serious factors I'd suggest the NH-U12A.

NH-D15S (165mm), NH-U12A (158mm) have no memory height restrictions.

NH-D15 (165mm) with the outer fan in its normal position limits memory height of some memory slots to 32mm. Fan is easily raised if case allows.

Dark Rock Pro 4 (163mm) limits height of some memory slots to 40mm with the outer fan in its normal position. The fan can be raised if case allows.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.