Is Windows 8.1 Faster than Windows 10?

So, I'm wondering this because recently my laptop's been VERY sluggish. For example, it took about 20 seconds to open task manager, but by opening Task Manager it made my web browser that I was using (opera) to crash a bit. That all was very annoying. But then I thought to myself, would Windows 8.1 be faster? I was wondering that because I know that Windows 8.1 doesn't have as much jibbersh/junk compared to Windows 10. Anyways, in conclusion will Windows 8.1 be faster for my laptop? (And it's just regular things that I'll be running, Excel, Word, Zoom, ect.)

Btw here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-5300U @ 2.30 GHZ (but Intel Turbo Boost makes it have a maximum of 2.69 GHZ)

Intel Graphics 5500. 

Laptop: Dell Latitude E7450 (from 2015)

P.S I'm fine with the Windows 8 start menu.

Not really.

If you want more responsiveness, get Linux.

Windows 10 is basically Windows 8.1, but with a few tweaks.

elephants

18 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Not really.

Ah, I see you don't have any experience here so you're just pulling things from your rectal cavity and hoping it sticks.

8.1 is almost always more responsive than 10 (and even 7). Hell unlike 10, 8.1 is actually usable on a hard drive, even essentially immediately after boot. And even your Linux argument (that everyone loves to throw around) doesn't hold up. On my laptop with a first-gen i5, 8.1 is functionally tied with Kubuntu (which I've narrowed down as the fastest distro on it), with a few exceptions here and there where 8.1 might destroy Kubuntu or vice versa.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it have a ssd? That will make it much faster, id do a ssd swap if it doesn't have it already

oh yea ssd. 275 gb. Forgot to mention. MX300 or MX200. I'm also thinking of dual booting from 8 and 10. IDK. (since i also want to play minecraft)

1 minute ago, SomeRandomGuy123824 said:

oh yea ssd. 275 gb. Forgot to mention. MX300 or MX200. I'm also thinking of dual booting from 8 and 10. IDK. (since i also want to play minecraft)

What does task manager show?

Id get rid of 8, already end of support(no security updates) and basically the same performance as 10. Might be something weird with your windows 10 install so id probably reinstall.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What does task manager show?

Id get rid of 8, already end of support(no security updates) and basically the same performance as 10. Might be something weird with your windows 10 install so id probably reinstall.

Uh. It's sort of hard to explain but here's what I remember from task manager

This is one time:

Opera: 12%

Another time:

Opera:18%

WMI Provider Host: 28%

And some other Windows Service that used like 10% (Don't remember)

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

Not really.

So Windows 8.1 is pretty much Windows 10? I always thought it had less junk in it/bloatware.

Just now, SomeRandomGuy123824 said:

So Windows 8.1 is pretty much Windows 10? I always thought it had less junk in it/bloatware.

Ignore me, I'm stupid.

Read this instead:

1 hour ago, flibberdipper said:

Ah, I see you don't have any experience here so you're just pulling things from your rectal cavity and hoping it sticks.

8.1 is almost always more responsive than 10 (and even 7). Hell unlike 10, 8.1 is actually usable on a hard drive, even essentially immediately after boot. And even your Linux argument (that everyone loves to throw around) doesn't hold up. On my laptop with a first-gen i5, 8.1 is functionally tied with Kubuntu (which I've narrowed down as the fastest distro on it), with a few exceptions here and there where 8.1 might destroy Kubuntu or vice versa.

elephants

11 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Ignore me, I'm stupid.

Read this instead:

Oh ok, good to know. Also, how the heck did you make that forever loop of "Click here to view hidden contents"?

1 minute ago, SomeRandomGuy123824 said:

Oh ok, good to know. Also, how the heck did you make that forever loop of "Click here to view hidden contents"?

I didn't - signatures only allow for 30 lines.

It just takes a decent amount of time.

elephants

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Actually, Windows 8 is now faster than Windows 10. Well... less resource demanding. This is because a lot have changed in Windows 10 since it's released. 

It's built-in A/V is much better, but requires more resources. It took advantage of people having better species PC, to decopple a lot of things in the name of stability and security. (Notice the much greater amount of services that you have now running in Task Manager compared to early days of Win10 or Win8 or 7.) And of course, new features and abilities adds resource cost. 

Windows 10 like any software, and demanding games, tend to take advantage of faster systems, which of course cost performance. So Firefox, today, requires a beefier system compared to Firefox version 1. Same with Chrome, same with Photoshop, and so on.

So while Linux based OS (assuming you have all the drivers) will work fine and possibly better than Win10, it won't do miracles with modern version of software. 

That said, your system specs that you posted, should run Windows 10 above and beyond. I have Win10 run, honestly, pretty well on a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM with an SSD (on SATA 2), and dedicated GPU (GeForce 730) (as obviously the Intel integrated graphics can't handle 720p videos assuming it even had drivers and on that system, only has VGA output)

See if your system is thermally throttling. It is hard to detect this with modern CPUs. I suggest using a program like AIDA64, (it's paying, but trial version is all you need), to do use its stress test tool, which tells you if your CPU is throttling and by how much.