should i wait for noctua nh u12 a chromax black or buy the normal version?

Mahbub

so right now i have noctua nh u 12 s black.. but its not being ablr to handle i7 9700k.. prime 95 temps are reaching 95 degrees.. i mounted properly.. repasted .. even after that its 95.. so m thinking to upgrade to nh u 12a.. (why i dont want nh d15 you ask?. because its wayy too big... looks weird, bought it in the past and returned, as to why i dont want water cooler.. well i absolutely dont want water inside my pc.. and here in india aio coolers warranty dosnt cover the other effected parts) so what i wanna ask is should i go for the chrome version thats available or wait for the chromax black?

what are the temps when you do normal stuff like playing games?

Unless its your normal workload to keep prime 95 running i wouldnt bother with a new cooler.

I wouldnt call that a "upgrade". Both of those are identical besides than a minor fan difference. You got 95W CPU at stock clocks. I personally would get something bigger, color of the fan on the heatsink is not going to change the temperatures you are getting, nor a fan that is slightly better. You need something with a bigger heatsink.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Your cooler is decent, so I don't really know why it's hitting 95 degrees.

Try checking what your computer is running, make sure you don't leave programs open that you don't need.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

I wouldnt call that a "upgrade". Both of those are identical besides than a minor fan difference. You got 95W CPU at stock clocks. I personally would get something bigger, color of the fan on the heatsink is not going to change the temperatures you are getting, nor a fan that is slightly better. You need something with a bigger heatsink.

in the oast i had d15, but the second fan dosnt fit even with low ram.. plus my exhaust is the top fan mainly.. and in that position it definately wont fit two fans.. i thought of assassin 3.. but gamers nexus had bad review about it... as for u12a.. it has nore heatpipes then even d15.. plus two 2000rpm fan

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, that is actually wrong. The U12S is both smaller (45mm instead of 58mm depth without fans) and has two less heatpipes. LTT did a review of multiple coolers (I think the point of the video was basically whether a water-cooling solution makes sense or not) and one cooler in the review was the U12A that performed not that much worse than the water-cooling system and a cooler of the size of a D15 or a Dark Rock Pro.

I would actually not wait for the black version, unless you intend to look in your computer the entire day.

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

in the oast i had d15, but the second fan dosnt fit even with low ram.. plus my exhaust is the top fan mainly.. and in that position it definately wont fit two fans.. i thought of assassin 3.. but gamers nexus had bad review about it... as for u12a.. it has nore heatpipes then even d15.. plus two 2000rpm fan

Extra 13mm of heat fins wont provide more than 3-4c decrease in temperatures. Both of those are in the charts below.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/noctua-nh-u12a/6.html

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, Benji said:

Well, that is actually wrong. The U12S is both smaller (45mm instead of 58mm depth without fans) and has two less heatpipes than the U12A. LTT did a review of multiple coolers (I think the point of the video was basically whether a water-cooling solution makes sense or not) and one cooler in the review was the U12A that performed not that much worse than the water-cooling system and a cooler of the size of a D15 or a Dark Rock Pro.

I would actually not wait for the black version, unless you intend to look in your computer the entire day.

Should you want a significantly better performance, you'll need to pony up to a Dark Rock Pro or a NH-D15 because the U12S as-is isn't a bad option per se, the issue is rather the CPU that consumes extremely much energy for what it does and that thermal mass wants to be moved.

i have a dark rock pro 4 lying.. but the thing is its wayy too big.. m looking for something compact plus powerful..also my exhaust ts towards the top and in that position neither the d15 or the dark rock would be able to take in the second fan

so i have an u12s cooling a 9700k and in p95 it goes to like above 90 degree. i dont want the d15 because its too big.. and i dont want aio so i am thinking to buy a nh u12a, how much improvement in temps will i see with nhu12a over the nh u12s?

-> Moved to Cooling

Also merged threads. Please don't post multiple times about same thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am thinking of getting the NH-U12A or the NH-D15 for my 9700k. I have the u12 s currently..  which should i go for?

I'd go for the U12A. Cheaper, pretty similar performance, less bulky.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'd go for the U12A. Cheaper, pretty similar performance, less bulky.

yeah but what if i wanted every last drop of performance? also u12a dosnt have chromax 😞

Just now, Mahbub said:

yeah but what if i wanted every last drop of performance? also u12a dosnt have chromax 😞

Then obviously you'd get the bigger one.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red