512GB RAM Server Built Config Opinion

Alexzz

First of all, what do you need it for? Those are 2 wildly different specs

6 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

Server 1: 64GB RAM, 16 Threads

https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-2007545

I'm not sure, but the ram sticks in there seem to be registered ECC? If so, I believe it won't work with ryzen, since it only works with unbuffered ECC (and also depends on the mobo).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

5 minutes ago, igormp said:

I'm not sure, but the ram sticks in there seem to be registered ECC? If so, I believe it won't work with ryzen, since it only works with unbuffered ECC (and also depends on the mobo).

Yeah, what do you need that server for? Also don't use Iron Wolf drives for a server, you want to use Seagate Exos or Western Digital Gold drives.

Just now, igormp said:

I'm not sure, but the ram sticks in there seem to be registered ECC?

No it's not a reg ecc, there's no indication it's a reg ecc in the description, so it might work with the cpu.

But that motherboard may not like ecc.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Yeah, we're going to need more context. Unless you're doing serious research I don't think you're going to need this much power.

45 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Yeah, what do you need that server for? Also don't use Iron Wolf drives for a server, you want to use Seagate Exos or Western Digital Gold drives.

Those are two configs for two different servers. Server 1 is going to be general purpose usage. Server 2 is for an in memory database. 

Also don't use Iron Wolf drives for a server

I would love to know more about this. This is exactly why I decided to post this 🙂 It's basically my first server build. 

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, we're going to need more context. Unless you're doing serious research I don't think you're going to need this much power.

Sounds fair! The small server is general purpose. Nothing special. The big boi server is meant for an in memory database. It actually uses the resources. ;D The current one is in AWS and costs about 1,5k per month. (It's not mine) And I decided to help out by building a server and move it in a datacenter.

What else do you need to know? 🙂 Thank you for your interest and attention. 

57 minutes ago, igormp said:

Those are hopefully going to be two different servers. 😉 

I don't think they are registered. At least I didn't mean for them to be. I found not to use them with ryzen in my research too. Are you sure they are?

But what I am really not confident about are the two PSUs and the Motherboard/Case combination.

54 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

Those are two configs for two different servers. Server 1 is going to be general purpose usage. Server 2 is for an in memory database. 

I would love to know more about this. This is exactly why I decided to post this 🙂 It's basically my first server build. 

Id buy premade servers for both. Much better intergration for things like IMPI, better hardware, and much better suppoer. Don't build servers here.

For the basic server, just get the barebones from asrock rack. Then you get impi, a much better setup, and it works much better in the rack.

3 hours ago, Alexzz said:

Sounds fair! The small server is general purpose. Nothing special. The big boi server is meant for an in memory database. It actually uses the resources. ;D The current one is in AWS and costs about 1,5k per month. (It's not mine) And I decided to help out by building a server and move it in a datacenter.

What else do you need to know? 🙂 Thank you for your interest and attention. 

If it were up to me I'd opt for NEMIX RAM. From my experience Supermicro boards can be very picky about their memory. If the SAMSUNG memory doesn't work SAMSUNG may not do anything for you if you call support. I know NEMIX will send you a compatible kit in exchange for the non-compatible DIMMs.

Depending on your budget I'd also consider a Intel Optane PCI_e series SSD instead of a desktop drive if you plan on needing something reliable. 2TB though will be quite expensive. It would have better data loss protection and sustained read/write performance though.

If you are going to use Ryzen 7 or 9 cpu, first select a motherboard that supports ecc. Then use the motherboard's memory QVL to identify the ecc modules supported.

Iron Wolf and WD Red are intended for relatively low usage (consumer/small business) RAID arrays. For medium and heavy usage arrays you'll want to look at enterprise/data center level drives.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.