Good GPU for 1440p Ultra?

MarvintheParrot
Go to solution Solved by Zberg,

if they wont budge from ultra, 3080.  AC, one of the first games of the new generation AAA title, ultra will buy you 70ish frames on a 3080.  So if that is important to him, 3080.  3070 would definitely be doable, but might need to turn down some settings to (gasp) high

Asking for a friend-

For whatever reason, my friend REALLY wants 1440p ultra settings at least 75FPS in AAA games. And they will not budge on ANY settings (this not not include ray tracing)

Must be a new generation GPU (3000/6000 series)

They are talking about a 3070/6800xt, which is pretty much perfect for that, but I just want to make sure that they temper their expectations, I keep telling him that neither the 3070 or the 6800xt are going to be able to keep those settings for every triple A game. I suggested a 3080, but budget is ~$600 USD.

Any other GPU that he should keep his eyes on? He just sold his RTX 2060 KO for $560 (fueling the terrible market 😞 ) so he has around $600 USD to spend. The rest of his system is :

Intel i7 9700k

Asus PRIME Z390-A

Corsair H100i SE

16GB Corsair RAM (3600mhz)

256GB NVMe

1TB HDD

Corsair X465 case

Corsair CX650F PSU (pending upgrade to 750W)

Thanks for any help!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Well ultra in games often means starting to use stupid texture resolutions, ridiculous AA methods and above native resolution sampling so euhm yeah not always going to happen.

For that budget you can get a rtx 2060 super maybe. So yeah basically they will be buying their card back :p.

Just now, jaslion said:

Well ultra in games often means starting to use stupid texture resolutions, ridiculous AA methods and above native resolution sampling so euhm yeah not always going to happen.

For that budget you can get a rtx 2060 super maybe. So yeah basically they will be buying their card back :p.

THAT IS WHAT I KEEP TELLING HIM

I got lucky enough to get a 3060 Ti and I cant run games at ultra AAA in 1080p.

He is willing to spend every waking moment refreshing to get a 3000/6000 series, and from my experience, that normally works, so I suggested that he get a 3060 Ti, because they drop the most and are the least expensive (other than the 3060) and he will still get great performance at 1440p or 1080p. And if he went 1080p, he could save even more money.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

if they wont budge from ultra, 3080.  AC, one of the first games of the new generation AAA title, ultra will buy you 70ish frames on a 3080.  So if that is important to him, 3080.  3070 would definitely be doable, but might need to turn down some settings to (gasp) high

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

1 minute ago, Zberg said:

Thank you! Yeah, he likes AC, so maybe not ultra settings. All he does to find info on how good graphics cards are is watch YT benchmark and comparison vids. I don't think he understands that real world application is a bit different, with background tasks such as discord and such.

3 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

He is willing to spend every waking moment refreshing to get a 3000/6000 series, and from my experience, that normally works, so I suggested that he get a 3060 Ti, because they drop the most and are the least expensive (other than the 3060) and he will still get great performance at 1440p or 1080p. And if he went 1080p, he could save even more money.

For ultra 1440p you need a 3080 class card basically. I know people like that personally and one of them kept complaining that their 3080 wasn't performing as well at ultra as expected. After finally being allowed to have a couple people over again we were playing some control on the tv and I was just running it at medium details and he was amazed at how well it ran and looked till the moment I told him it was just running on medium :p. Then it wasn't it good enough anymore.

A 3080 will do around 90FPS on average in most AAA games at 4K Ultra (excluding RTX settings). I'd say a 3070 and up is needed for his goal. A 3080 is overkill for ultra 1440p.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

For ultra 1440p you need a 3080 class card basically. I know people like that personally and one of them kept complaining that their 3080 wasn't performing as well at ultra as expected. After finally being allowed to have a couple people over again we were playing some control on the tv and I was just running it at medium details and he was amazed at how well it ran and looked till the moment I told him it was just running on medium :p. Then it wasn't it good enough anymore.

A 3080 will do Control on 4K 60fps Ultra + RTX. And at 1440p you get around 90 FPS with the same settings. But you'll have to use DLSS for that. For his goals a 3080 is overkill.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

I have a 2070 and I play cw in 1080 ultra full with no rtx because is poor optimized but it keeps really good I’ll suggest a 3080 because of the new games that will came out this year also more than 750 what’s will be good a 850 gold or platinum for max efficiency because the 3000 series tent to have spikes

Just now, Stahlmann said:

A 3080 will do around 90FPS on average in most AAA games at 4K Ultra (excluding RTX settings). I'd say a 3070 and up is needed for his goal. A 3080 is overkill for ultra 1440p.

Thanks for the response, however, the whole point is overkill. Ultra settings on 1440p? Just like @jaslionand @Zbergsaid, there is no reason for ultra settings.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

A 3080 will do Control on 4K 60fps Ultra + RTX. And at 1440p you get around 90 FPS with the same settings. But you'll have to use DLSS for that. For his goals a 3080 is overkill.

He ran control at upsampling and stuff was not as a point to demonstrate the 3080 performance more of a how ridiculous it can be. Control is a well running game on a lot of hardware.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Not quiet overkill if rtx is used also so many games aren’t well optimized to rtx at the moment they tend to conflict 

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Thanks for the response, however, the whole point is overkill. Ultra settings on 1440p? Just like @jaslionand @Zbergsaid, there is no reason for ultra settings.

Sure there is. If you want the maximum eye-candy but don't quite want to spend $900 on a 4K high refresh rate monitor. I was in the same spot. But now i'm running 4K myself.

1 minute ago, chunguran said:

Not quiet overkill if rtx is used also so many games aren’t well optimized to rtx at the moment they tend to conflict 

He said specifically 1440p ultra without RTX is the goal.

2 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

In my opinion to I’ll wait till the new 3080 comes out that will happens with more than 10 gb of vram will pretty good 

Depends on the games, for example a 3080 barely manages that in Assassin's Creed Valhalla - AMD cards fare better in that game generally speaking. 

I play on a 3080 at 1440p/144hz. Many games do not reach close to 144fps, some of it is CPU but most often it's still GPU limited.

HIgh framerate at 1440p without ray tracing points to 6800xt, IMO.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3080 def not overkill for 1440p.  For esports only at 1440p, yes (or other non demanding games).  For AAA max?  3080 is appropriate and frankly required if you want 60 fps.  Same as pluto above, my 1440p rig has a 3080 and multiple games I play dont saturate the 144 hz monitor.  Some of them almost get down to 60 fps (AC valhalla) at times.  This puts it at a perfect position for 1440p in my opinion.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar