Install windows on old Pc for new PC

I have got all things for a new Pc, BUT the motherboard, that will come soon.
until then, I would like to install windows and all the other stuff on the new Hard Drive. can I just swap that new HDD with an the one in an old PC, than install it on the new with my USB stick and after change the HDDs again, without damaging any data or corupting it on the old ?
I dont want the old one not to work after this swap 
Thanks in advance

I really hope your not planning on installing windows onto an actual hard drive? That will be horrible.

SSD is the only way.

In regards to your actual query, yes, if you stick your new SSD into your old PC and install windows onto it, it'll very likely work just fine if you transfer it across. However for best results, you should really wait and do the install on the actual parts you will be using.

1 minute ago, full bridge rectifier said:

OKOK 
But for what this Pc is used for, a SSD is just not necessary trust me

Thanks

An SSD is ALWAYS necessary for Windows.

Doesn't need to be a great SSD, any old SATA 3.5" drive will do, but for the love of all that is good and right in this earth, do not install Windows on a hard drive. For your own sanity.

It will work, but since your current system likely needs different drivers than the new one, it may not work great. I've tried this and sometimes it works sometimes it messes up everything. If you can, wait, but if you can't, it will likely work but not as good.

As for the SSD: It is not a requirement, but it will definitly give you a better experience. Ever since I upgraded to SSD a few years ago I can't even go back to HDD anymore 😛

Modern Windows just doesn't work on a hard drive. It used to years ago, and i dont really know whats changed, but run a modern recent build of windows on a hard disk and its just crap. Everything takes eons to happen, and the machine will frequently just lock up completely for n seconds at a time with the drive activity light wedged on...

Oh okay
than I will rather wait
thanks 
Ps: I'm thinking about getting an SSD now
But it can't be that bad XD

1 minute ago, Aragorn- said:

Modern Windows just doesn't work on a hard drive. It used to years ago, and i dont really know whats changed, but run a modern recent build of windows on a hard disk and its just crap. Everything takes eons to happen, and the machine will frequently just lock up completely for n seconds at a time with the drive activity light wedged on...

oh okay

What? 10 will install on an HDD, it will just be slow AF. It will work just fine. People tend to get snobby when they get used to nice hardware.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30, 1x TL-B12 Ext.
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |2x AL-18, 2x KL-12, 1x TY-143

Just now, freeagent said:

What? 10 will install on an HDD, it will just be slow AF. It will work just fine. People tend to get snobby when they get used to nice hardware.

thats my boi 
No, i do also know the benefits of solid state 
But for my usecase, It is really not needed 

Just now, freeagent said:

I agree. Ive built a few budget builds for people recently. In each of them i used the good old £50 2tb seagate drive. I installed windows 10 on each. It is obviously slower than ssd but its not unusable. Put it this way, the people ive built them for haven't complained. Tbf each system was pretty quick and responsive after i was finished with them.

Yup. Still works.. boots are a bit longer, things move a bit slower.. but still moving.

Wanna know pain?

5200RPM windows install.

Its a good way to eat a day 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30, 1x TL-B12 Ext.
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |2x AL-18, 2x KL-12, 1x TY-143

okay quick update
I did it on the new Pc hardware and like actually, everything is working just fine
HDD can actually be enough for some purpose