Have I made a mistake with my RAM?

Hi everyone,

I recently completed a build with the following selected specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (Timings: 18-22-22-42)

I didn't check the QVL for my motherboard (I didn't know such a thing existed!) and just went for the fastest sticks of 16GB DDR4 I could afford. I've enabled DOCP on the two that I have to get them running at 3600 MHz and everything is stable.

I picked up two more of the same 8 GB sticks because they were on sale.

I assumed I could just plug those extra sticks in, re-enable DOCP and enjoy even more RAM capacity.

I have since discovered that these exact sticks are not listed in the QVL (though very similar ones from Corsair are) and have read about system instability with 4 x 8GB sticks at this speed. 

It sounds like others with similar setups have been stuck with more capacity, but running at a far slower speed such as 2133 MHz.

Have I made a mistake with my RAM choice? Should I return those extra sticks that I bought or should I see if my system can take it?

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't know much about the details of RAM!

Running 4 sticks of ram at high speeds is usually troublesome with Ryzen. Try to use a slower XMP profile, such as 3200mhz, it should work.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Thanks, I was wondering if that would be troubleshooting step. 

Some motherboards have ram limits so like the motherboard has a limit of 32gb of ram and u start to use 64gb of ram and the motherboard acts weird or not work until you remove enough ram that is in the limit cuase my motherboard is like that

2 minutes ago, Lucasgrady12 said:

Some motherboards have ram limits so like the motherboard has a limit of 32gb of ram and u start to use 64gb of ram and the motherboard acts weird or not work until you remove enough ram that is in the limit cuase my motherboard is like that

That's not a thing anymore, the memory controller is built into the CPU nowadays, so the actual limit depends on the CPU itself.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

If you could refund that kit, I suggest going with 3600MHz CL16 RAM if you are using Ryzen chips.

Why?

This is why:

image.png.0ded484e6d5690ea1bde11cf175cdaae.png

(Took this from Reddit)

TL;DR: 3200MHz CL16 RAM will have the same latency as 3600MHz CL18 RAM.

(Funny enough, I checked pcpartpicker for prices on 3200 cl16 vs 3600 cl18, and turns out the 3600 cl18 kits are more expensive.)

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

17 minutes ago, igormp said:

That's not a thing anymore, the memory controller is built into the CPU nowadays, so the actual limit depends on the CPU itself.

Oh well on my motherboard it has a limit