Too anxious to try TT riser cable

frozensun

Guys,

This cable is on my shelf for like a year,bought brand new.

I don't know, I'm too anxious to try it because I'm afraid if it could damage either board or GPU which are quite expensive.

What is the worst thing it could happen when I install it?

https://www.thermaltake.com/gaming-pci-e-3-0-x16-riser-cable.html

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

House fire. I always found using pcie risers dumb unless you are looking to fit more cards than physically possible.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Guys,

I don't know, I'm too anxious to try it because I'm afraid if it could damage either board or GPU which are quite expensive.

nothing crazy

- if its faulty - you might get issues with games not working

- no display etc

1 minute ago, Levent said:

House fire. I always found using pcie risers dumb unless you are looking to fit more cards than physically possible.

Its not the NZXT H1 riser cable lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Guys,

This has been discussed over and over, and nothing has changed. You are looking for excuses not to do it, and at this point I would recommend you to just throw the riser away.

3 minutes ago, For Science! said:

This has been discussed over and over, and nothing has changed. You are looking for excuses not to do it, and at this point I would recommend you to just throw the riser away.

Dude no one told me exactly can any of the components get damaged if the riser is not tested for functionality that is okay.

It's just my ocd and bpd,I forgot I asked before..

What is your opinion?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

If you feel to nervous and doubtful about it, then don't do it. There is a risk of something going wrong, but there always is with most things (however small it is). 

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

Any cases of riser cable damaging components physically?

Any cases of riser cable damaging components physically?

There has been with others, but I cant recall a particular case with this riser cable. Honestly your probably going to be 99% fine so just do it or not. I mean its not going to be the end of the world if you don't mount your GPU vertically, if your are generally worried about it then leave it mounted in the normal position and bin the cable, at the end of the day your card will most likely get cooler temps and have more air flowing through it when its mounted horizontally.

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Aren't these things just point to point wires? I'm not sure how they would damage something?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 minutes ago, UpTheDons said:

There has been with others, but I cant recall a particular case with this riser cable. Honestly your probably going to be 99% fine so just do it or not. I mean its not going to be the end of the world if you don't mount your GPU vertically, if your are generally worried about it then leave it mounted in the normal position and bin the cable, at the end of the day your card will most likely get cooler temps and have more air flowing through it when its mounted horizontally.

Read reviews on amazon..all kinds of bullshit,don't know to trust or...

Just now, frozensun said:

Read reviews on amazon..all kinds of bullshit,don't know to trust or...

As I said twice, there is always going to be a problem with every piece of hardware but it will only surface to a tiny amount of people. If you think that the risk is to great for you (even though the chance of something going wrong is miniscule) then DONT DO IT.  I don't quite get what the problem is with just leaving it mounted horizontally apart from a small aesthetic sacrifice.

2 minutes ago, UpTheDons said:

As I said twice, there is always going to be a problem with every piece of hardware but it will only surface to a tiny amount of people. If you think that the risk is to great for you (even though the chance of something going wrong is miniscule) then DONT DO IT.  I don't quite get what the problem is with just leaving it mounted horizontally apart from a small aesthetic sacrifice.

Cuz it's boring like this, and I wanted it mount vertically.

Well, just because it's boring doesn't mean you need to break something.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

4 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

Well, just because it's boring doesn't mean you need to break something.

Break what?

The board/GPU, like you said in the first post.

And I don't mean like fully breaking it, but damaging it in general.

My opinion: Just don't take the risk. If you're that concerned and have to ask others, I suggest just leaving it and give up trying to vertically mount your GPU. Repeating what I said just now, just because it is "boring", doesn't mean something can possibly be damaged, or worse, broken.

<famous quote>

What you think you might break by using it?

People have told you everything they could tell you several times already, no point making more threads about it, you do it or don't, up to you.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

You will be fine.  The only thing to worry about is the GPU's temps if the vertical position pushes it right near the side panel. Check your thermals now then go ahead and mount it vertically then check again.

It might look boring but in most cases it works better to have it horizontal.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

50 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Dude no one told me exactly can any of the components get damaged if the riser is not tested for functionality that is okay.

It's just my ocd and bpd,I forgot I asked before..

What is your opinion?

My opinion is that you should throw the riser away since if you aren't capable of removing the front panel of your PC, I doubt your capabilities to do anything PC building related with confidence. 

22 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Cuz it's boring like this, and I wanted it mount vertically.

Then mount it vertically. People have told you multiple times that the chance of running into any problems is tiny. Its up to you now if you want to do it or not.

He is not being rude to you, he is simply stating his point of view and opinion. He says you don't have confidence because of how much you've asked the forum whether or not you should install the riser cable.

(But he also needs to watch his words, and so do you)

15 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I'm more capable then you will ever think.

I built all my 4 computers.

And please, don't resort to boasting.

And after what most of everyone has said, it is completely up to you.

We simply state our opinions and what we think you should do, but it doesn't mean that you should always take our word for it.

It is your riser cable, so you decide what to do with it.

Some say the risk is very tiny, others say throw it away and forget trying to vertically mount your GPU.

But it is yours.

I will state my view and opinion again: Just because you think horizontally mounting a GPU is "boring", does not mean that you should risk damaging, or even worse, breaking the PCI-E slot on the board or the GPU PCI Express connector.

I would personally not risk trying to install the riser cable with the possibility of me damaging something.

So I say all this to say what?

This is your own decision. Kindly stop asking whether you should do this or do that.

We cannot always help you with your questions, eventually you need to figure them out yourself.

(But we try to, so please appreciate the fact that people are even replying back to your thread.)

<famous quote>

I jusr asked of an opinion wether what could happen in the worse case and haven't still got an answer like:

Well yeah Frozen,riser cable can damage your components cuz of this and that..

No,Frozen riser cable can not damage your components cuz of this and that...

This is all I wanted to hear from someone who has more knowledge into this stuff.

Not having confidence is my con,so whenever I have some issues about my computers I kinda ask you guys before I make my odn decision.

The problem with me,is that I rather trust some people here then myself 😕

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

Guys,

i use one i bought from china on ebay for 10 quid. Its waay to small and is at a very dodge angle, cuts through my firewire card and stretched by my vertically mouted gpu. Its been pulling at my pcie slot on my gpu and motherboard since it was installed.

1.5 years and its all good so far.

I jusr asked of an opinion wether what could happen in the worse case and haven't still got an answer like:

Well yeah Frozen,riser cable can damage your components cuz of this and that..

No,Frozen riser cable can not damage your components cuz of this and that...

This is all I wanted to hear from someone who has more knowledge into this stuff.

Not having confidence is my con,so whenever I have some issues about my computers I kinda ask you guys before I make my odn decision.

The problem with me,is that I rather trust some people here then myself 😕

well idk what ur asking for because ur kinda asking how can a usb cable damage my mouse... its a cable, its not gonna spontaneously blow up most likely...

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

i use one i bought from china on ebay for 10 quid. Its waay to small and is at a very dodge angle, cuts through my firewire card and stretched by my vertically mouted gpu. Its been pulling at my pcie slot on my gpu and motherboard since it was installed.

1.5 years and its all good so far.

Woow,here it's 40 euros.

The problem with this one is,I'm not so sure if the length is enough since I own huge PC case,but then again that TT premium 30 cm costs a lot more.

Just now, frozensun said:

Woow,here it's 40 euros.

The problem with this one is,I'm not so sure if the length is enough since I own huge PC case,but then again that TT premium 30 cm costs a lot more.

try plugging it in and finding out is the best way