What is trhe point of LiveTV?

I have gotten offers for Steaming Movies and Shows since late last year and they often turn out to be the something as what I can watch on my TV either OTA or Cable...

Could someone please explain the point of having this? If I'm watching content on my computer, then I want to be able to watch what I want, when I want. Internet TV doesn't make any sense to me at all.

What about my fellow posters?

Well internet TV is similar to cable / OTA but with internet as the data medium.

If you already have cable, no point getting one, unless theres' an exclusive channel.

Internet TV usually have some perks like online DVR.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

it will makes sense depending on what is available where you live. ISP competition etc. My options are internet or satellite and internet is better than satellite. If I drive 10 minutes out of town internet is crap so satellite will be better.

5 minutes ago, CoolKaylee said:

Live TV, in some respects, is better than the traditional cable or satellite way when watch TV channels. 

Live TV, sometimes you can call it IPTV. So, you can watch anything that displayed on TV screen when there is internet. More specific, you can watch the programs on computer with a IPTV player like VLC and 5KPlayer live.

Better still, you can also enjoy some internet contents.

My point as in why I don't IPTV is that I can't watch What and When I choose. Services such as Netflix, IMDB, and CWTV I can.

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I have gotten offers for Steaming Movies and Shows since late last year and they often turn out to be the something as what I can watch on my TV either OTA or Cable...

Could someone please explain the point of having this? If I'm watching content on my computer, then I want to be able to watch what I want, when I want. Internet TV doesn't make any sense to me at all.

What about my fellow posters?

Sports. They simply do not exist on Netflix, Amazon TV, etc. The only way to watch your Hockey, F1, Football, American Football, etc. is through traditional broadcasters.

The one I'm subscribed to through my cable subscription allows users to watch past programs and games at their leisure, albeit the recordings only go back to maybe a week or so.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Sports. They simply do not exist on Netflix, Amazon TV, etc. The only way to watch your Hockey, F1, Football, American Football, etc. is through traditional broadcasters.

The one I'm subscribed to through my cable subscription allows users to watch past programs and games at their leisure, albeit the recordings only go back to maybe a week or so.  

Well going to only last number of Movies and Shows is fine. As far as Sports go, I don't watch them anyway.

Well if there was such a thing as Naked Cheerleaders, I would watch but. Wouldn't women with extra large breasts performing w/o any proper support, that actually hurt, Right? 

21 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well going to only last number of Movies and Shows is fine. As far as Sports go, I don't watch them anyway.

Well if there was such a thing as Naked Cheerleaders, I would watch but. Wouldn't women with extra large breasts performing w/o any proper support, that actually hurt, Right? 

Yea so apart from sports and maybe the occasional vintage festive Halloween, Christmas, etc. movies from like the 90s (stuff Netflix and the other streaming services probably won't bother with), I don't see any programming that would make IPTV appealing to the average consumer. Heck even news channels are streaming their evening news live on YouTube rather than using IPTV exclusively for the internet side of things. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If you can't see the point of having it, then you're not the target audience.

my mother still watches "normal tv" there are just somethings that are only broadcast on TV that don't get re-uploaded as VODs.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I personall don't see a point to any of the broadcast and liveTV formats. I pretty much only use VODs for entertainment. (Netflix, YouTube, Prime, etc.) Then again i also don't get the appeal of watching streamers. So i guess i'm also just not the target audience of this stuff.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

That's starting to change in some countries though. Amazon got the rights to some Premier League games last year.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

If you can't see the point of having it, then you're not the target audience.

my mother still watches "normal tv" there are just somethings that are only broadcast on TV that don't get re-uploaded as VODs.

Precisely. Maybe 60% of the market still untouched by the streaming platform and they just want to switch on and don't care about browsing the videos.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Precisely. Maybe 60% of the market still untouched by the streaming platform and they just want to switch on and don't care about browsing the videos.

Sorry, quoted wrong reply

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

That's starting to change in some countries though. Amazon got the rights to some Premier League games last year.

Only because COVID meant nobody could attend matches in person, they also put a certain amount on FTA TV as well.

Don't expect that to last long once lockdown is lifted and people can return to watching in person.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I forgotten about this Topic, but I've been Binge Watching CW Seed so... I had a dislike for watching TV back when Netflix was a DVD service.