Computer won't boot all of the sudden.

NuclearCouch
Go to solution Solved by NuclearCouch,

Hello,

I have been using my PC for a while now with zero issues. Just got a new CPU and MoBo last May (9700K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO), New GPU in December (EVGA 2070 Super). Ram I've had for a while, crucial brand 8GB. Power supply is my oldest component, purchased in 2016 EVGA super Nova Gold 850w. 

The computer turns on, fans spin, lights illuminate but then immediately it turns off again. I get a red CPU light on the motherboard for a second or two after it turns on. When flicking the PSU power switch off and on I see the motherboard light up for a second as well. Typically there would be a orange glow from the MoBo when it has power but the system isn't on, that orange glow is missing. I had a similar issue last year that was solved by flicking off the EcoAssist switch on my PSU, that switch is still off. Probably dead PSU. 

Any ideas?

Edit: Dead PSU 

Hello,

I have been using my PC for a while now with zero issues. Just got a new CPU and MoBo last May (9700K, Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO), New GPU in December (EVGA 2070 Super). Ram I've had for a while, crucial brand 8GB. Power supply is my oldest component, purchased in 2016 EVGA super Nova Gold 850w. 

The computer turns on, fans spin, lights illuminate but then immediately it turns off again. I get a red CPU light on the motherboard for a second or two after it turns on. When flicking the PSU power switch off and on I see the motherboard light up for a second as well. Typically there would be a orange glow from the MoBo when it has power but the system isn't on, that orange glow is missing. I had a similar issue last year that was solved by flicking off the EcoAssist switch on my PSU, that switch is still off. Probably dead PSU. 

Any ideas?

Edit: Dead PSU 

22 minutes ago, NuclearCouch said:

Probably dead PSU. 

That's as good as place to start as any. Also the easiest to replace.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, NuclearCouch said:

Hello,

Any ideas?

Can you access BIOS at least or does 'no boot' means, it just doesn't start?

Have you tried removing the GPU and running on-board graphics to see if it boots/starts up?

If it does start up without the GPU, then it's a configuration issue from the GPU within BIOS and compatibility with PCI slots and motherboard.

53 minutes ago, c00face said:

Can you access BIOS at least or does 'no boot' means, it just doesn't start?

Have you tried removing the GPU and running on-board graphics to see if it boots/starts up?

If it does start up without the GPU, then it's a configuration issue from the GPU within BIOS and compatibility with PCI slots and motherboard.

No boot at all, fans spin for 2 seconds then off again. It's not a GPU issue - GPU has worked fine for months now and configuration issues don't just pop up out of nowhere. 

24 minutes ago, NuclearCouch said:

No boot at all, fans spin for 2 seconds then off again. It's not a GPU issue - GPU has worked fine for months now and configuration issues don't just pop up out of nowhere. 

Great to hear.

--had to edit this part, it was rage post--

Lets assume on what you said, you believe it could be a dead PSU. Have you tried to run the rig with a new PSU?

8 minutes ago, c00face said:

Great to hear.

Here's my suggestion, answer my questions if you want any sort of help. First, you said it HAS happened before. Second, you bought a new GPU in December and with newer drive updates, it can cause problems. Third, I need you to answer and give more info so I can break down in an order what can be the issue and what isn't. If you don't like how I solve problems, why bother asking. GPU configuration may or may not be the problem, that isn't the point of this discussion. The point is process of elimination. So do me a favor, you either follow along so I can deduct with reasoning what is the issue, or you don't.

Lets assume on what you said, you believe it could be a dead PSU. Have you tried to run the rig with a new PSU?

Posted here more so to see if anyone else had ever experienced similar issues with the EVGA PSU eco mode so I could just RMA and not have to rip out my roommates PSU as a tester but whatever in the end it didn't take that long. EVGA forums probably would of been a better choice, seems it is a common issue with this model. Thanks for trying to help.