Fan control (RPM) question with ASUS Fan Xpert 4

s3riouscat
I have a question on using the RPM / Fan control with ASUS Fan Xpert 4.

Current setup:

6 x Corsair LL Whites (Planned Radiator fans) - (2200rpm max)
4x EZ-DIY moonlight Whites (Case fans) - (1600rpm max)
All 10 fans are hooked up to a FH10 Deepcool 10 port Fan hub (SATA power) with sensor on ASUS DH - CPU FAN header.

As far as i know only fan 1 port is detected by MB and the Fan Xpert software (which is occupied a corsair fan) If I raise the fan speed to say 1800rpm, the corsair fans will all match. What I'm not sure on is how the EZ-DIY fans will react, will they just raise to that rpm(yikes?) Or a percentage of the 1600rpm max? I don't want to damage them with the higher rpm settings.

The EZ-DIY ARGB hub also has 5 PWM fan ports (Connected to one of the MB chassis fan ports) that I could just swap the 4 fans back to.

My bet is on percentage.  The way that usually works is the motor is set for a given rpm at a given voltage.  If they’re given partial voltage they do partial speed. Pwm is effectively a voltage control.  The advantage is it’s variable.  It only shoots 12(or whatever) volts but it doesn’t do it all the time.  It pulses.  So it can’t stain higher speed unless it’s given MORE than 12v. (People do overclock fans.  Saw a guy running a 12v fan at 17volts once to make it blow more air) It might run them up to 1600rpm, but it can’t make them go faster than wide open.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Fans are controlled by percentage, not by RPM. RPM is just there to give some easy to understand metric for comparing technical differences. For control, you choose percentage on curve, or do it more old fashioned way by deciding how many pulses you give per second. So if you select 80% (1800rpm of 2200 rpm fans), then 1600rpm fans will be at 1280rpm.

Best option would still be running different rpm fans from different headers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks guys! I'll leave it as is if they are not overshooting the voltage. The only reason They are on the same header is cable placement. Maybe I'll change the hub locations when the WC stuff arrive.