Best Keyboard for Gaming

Just now, Chuck Gaulke said:

What is the best keyboard for typing 

This really depends on the person. Some people like mechanical keyboards, some prefer rubber-dome switches. I personally enjoy the Microsoft Surface Keyboard for typing and working and the Razer Chroma Ornata Switches for Gaming. But this really is diffrent for every person. There is not "the best" keyboard. Linus made a Video about this once:

Which Mechanical Keyboard Switches are BEST? Blind Test! - YouTube

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

very subjective, what i can say is anything over $20 should be good enough.

Almost every mechanical keyboard whether it's a chinese cheap one or branded one are good.

The difference is only the letter spacing which is can be different between standard (19mm spacing) vs compact models.

Apple keyboard / MS surface keyboard with a chiclet style keys are also good for typing, you can type very fast with this, especially if you don't like the long travel in the mechanical keyboards. The downside of these super thin keyboard is maintenance, once you spilled something on the keys, there's nothing you can do to fix it. That's why i stopped using my apple keyboards.

So if you want a strong tactile feel, get a mechanical keyboards.

and if you want a silent and fast typer, get a chiclet keys.

From my experience, your hand will eventually adjust to whatever keyboard it uses.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

It's really a matter of preference ... no one like the same thing and it's up to you to find which type of keyboard/switches you like best ... for my part I think I like tactile and clicky a lot more than linear ... best keyboard I ever had was a membrane one ... for some the best one for typing is model M buckling springs. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

The IBM Model F is considered a Holy Grail of mechanical typing devices. It uses beam spring switches. The IBM Model M which came after that uses buckling spring switches, which are considered a cheap alternative to beam springs. 

Apart from that, Topre switches have a flock of religious followers (and others saying they are the most expensive membrane switches). 

I personally prefer to type on a Preonic (Ortholinear 5x12 layout) with vintage PBT caps and holy panda switches. 

Once you cross a certain threshold, everything is good. It might just not be good for your personal taste. 

Things to determine to get to your goal: 

1. Form factor. Full size, TKL, 65%, 60% or all the weird ergonomic shapes - there's a lot to choose from. Generally you should determine 

whether or not you need all the keys on a full size layout.

If you're not using the Numblock at all, you can easily go TKL and save money and desk space.

2. Switches. In short, there are Buckling Springs, Topre, Cherry MX (and clones), and Alps currently available. Buckling Springs are loud, clicky and heavy. Cherry, Clones and Alps come in three categories: Linear, tactile and clicky. 

3. Keycaps. They are responsible for looks, sound and feel of the board. In short, there is ABS and PBT of various qualities. ABS is better for backlit keyboards, but they get smoother over time. PBT has more of a texture that stays over time and many consider this to feel better. 

So the best keyboard for typing is the one that has your preferred form factor, switch type and keycaps. 

24 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

The IBM Model F is considered a Holy Grail of mechanical typing devices. It uses beam spring switches. The IBM Model M which came after that uses buckling spring switches, which are considered a cheap alternative to beam springs.

Just a minor FYI: the Model F was also a buckling springs keyboard; the Model F used capacitive sensing driven buckling springs and Model Ms used membrane sensing driven buckling springs, a change indeed driven my cost-saving and evolving layouts. Beam spring keyboards were referred to as Model B as per very few IBM literature or just retrospectively "beam spring" keyboards (although, calling them Model B is generally avoided since there's also a classic IBM typewriter by that designation too).

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.

4 minutes ago, SharktasticA said:

Just a minor FYI: the Model F was also a buckling springs keyboard; the Model F used capacitive sensing driven buckling springs and Model Ms used membrane sensing driven buckling springs, a change indeed driven my cost-saving and evolving layouts. Beam spring keyboards were referred to as Model B as per very few IBM literature or just retrospectively "beam spring" keyboards (although, calling them Model B is generally avoided since there's also a classic IBM typewriter by that designation too).

A gosh, you're right! 

...but since the Model F keyboards that still work are already made from unobtainium and fetch insane prices and the beamspring models take a lot of work and additional cost to get to work on a modern computer, one could safely ignore anything that came before the Model F. 

15 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

A gosh, you're right! 

...but since the Model F keyboards that still work are already made from unobtainium and fetch insane prices and the beamspring models take a lot of work and additional cost to get to work on a modern computer, one could safely ignore anything that came before the Model F. 

For the most part, pretty much lol.

Shark lover, Software dev + research student, game dev, web dev, curator of IBMium keyboards and ThinkPads, r/ModelM mod.

My PC: Ryzen 9 5950X, MSI B450-A PRO MAX, 32GB (4x8) DDR4-3000, RTX 4080, Corsair 5000X, 500GB NVMe for boot & IDEs + 1x120GB SSD for repos + 1TB 7200RPM for games library, Corsair RM850e, Windows 11 Pro + Arch Linux.

There is no best one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

This?

Screenshot_75.png

What do you want in a gaming keyboard is the more important question!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

13 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

This?

Screenshot_75.png

What do you want in a gaming keyboard is the more important question!

I want one that's low latency and quiet.   

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

It's dependent on what switches you like, what size you want and your budget.

I want a key switch that is low latency and quiet.   

-= Topics Merged =-

These are essentially asking the same question.

OP stop spam posting questions, we have a Subforum for building new pcs, if that is you end goal make on topic and ask all your questions there.

This is not reddit.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 2/28/2021 at 6:49 PM, SansVarnic said:

-= Topics Merged =-

These are essentially asking the same question.

OP stop spam posting questions, we have a Subforum for building new pcs, if that is you end goal make on topic and ask all your questions there.

This is not reddit.

What is the Subforum for building new PCs called 

39 minutes ago, Chuck Gaulke said:

What is the Subforum for building new PCs called 

But dont you dare open yet another topic about the same thing!!!!!!!!

If you just put down in this topic what you want from a a keyboard you might get a usefull answer. But if its clear like now you're not putting to much effort into it, nobody will.

(And you could always DM a mod to ask for a clean up of this thread. 😉 )

Screenshot_99.png

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!