SATA power for SSD / Hard drive requirements

doctorman

I am aware  SATA  power  provides  3.5,  5  and 12V  power  depending the pins

If I have a source of only 12V power   and only power the 12V and ground pins of the SATA,  would that provide the power the SSD needs to turn on  or SSD checks/needs 3.5v  and or 5v  power as well?

I can power a specialty motherboard with server power supply using 6pin PCIE 12v;  I was trying to avoid using ATX power supply in this case... 

I can get 6pin pcie to SATA  power  but those only have 12v power ,  

would I be able to turn on the SSD successfully?

Thanks

Basically no sata drive uses 3v3, the raid isn't really used.

The drive lists its power requirements. Most ssds are 5v only, most 3.5in hdds need 12v and 5v to turn on.

as far as i'm aware, most (if not all, ignoring highly specific exceptions) of the devices on the market are one of these 3:

- a 3.5" HDD, requires 12v and 5v

- a 'slim' 2.5" HDD or SSD, requires 5v

- an enterprise 'thick' 2.5" HDD, requires 5v and 12v (you know, the ones that spin at 10k or 15k rpm)

EDIT: PS: what exactly are you trying to do? there's probably a way to get your 5v in some other means.

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as far as i'm aware, most (if not all, ignoring highly specific exceptions) of the devices on the market are one of these 3:

- a 3.5" HDD, requires 12v and 5v

- a 'slim' 2.5" HDD or SSD, requires 5v

- an enterprise 'thick' 2.5" HDD, requires 5v and 12v (you know, the ones that spin at 10k or 15k rpm)

EDIT: PS: what exactly are you trying to do? there's probably a way to get your 5v in some other means.

so I guess my best bet is a USB to SATA adapter , 

I probably need the 5v only for most SSDs.

As I said ,  avoiding ATX power supply and main source of power is  12V Server Power supply 

the mther board take 2   6pin PCIE  to power everything 

just need the SSD power 

3 minutes ago, doctorman said:

so I guess my best bet is a USB to SATA adapter , 

I probably need the 5v only for most SSDs.

As I said ,  avoiding ATX power supply and main source of power is  12V Server Power supply 

the mther board take 2   6pin PCIE  to power everything 

just need the SSD power 

if you have USB, there must be +5v *somewhere*...

what device are you using?

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you have USB, there must be +5v *somewhere*...

what device are you using?

I can get 5v directly from the motherbard's USB pins..  was trying to be a bit lazy and not put cables together...  

found USB to SATA  cable for few $.. should do the job then

So  to be sure.. if I give an SSD rated 5v    just 12v via SATA   it will not turn on?

I mean on the correct 12v pin  will be 12v and on the rest of the pins will be no power

Just now, doctorman said:

I can get 5v directly from the motherbard's USB pins..  was trying to be a bit lazy and not put cables together...  

found USB to SATA  cable for few $.. should do the job then

So  to be sure.. if I give an SSD rated 5v    just 12v via SSD   it will not turn on?

I mean on the correct 12v pin  will be 12v and on the rest of the pins will be no power

i'm still trying to find out what motherboard / sbc / device you're using to see if there's a sensible solution...

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i'm still trying to find out what motherboard / sbc / device you're using to see if there's a sensible solution...

it is a mining rig... 

the motherboard can be powered by ATX or Server PSU...

so I was putting together a setup to avoid ATX and PICO all together.. and this is the part I got stock 

• 2 years later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:34 PM, doctorman said:

it is a mining rig... 

the motherboard can be powered by ATX or Server PSU...

so I was putting together a setup to avoid ATX and PICO all together.. and this is the part I got stock 

Hey doc, I don't know if I'm late to help you, but...

Look, I was always very curious about electronics and computing, and although I am a civil engineer and I specialize in more "rigid" things, but I love electronics.

I always had the idea to make myself a multimedia center, since I love movies and also download movies and store them, so I got down to work and started to investigate how I could get hard drives working without a PSU or ATX. I searched the internet for the power diagrams of the SATA connectors and as you say, most HDDs only need 12v and 5v, so I bought two transformers from 120v to 12v and from 120v to 5v and I bought molex connectors, and also molex-to-sata connectors.

So from the 12v transformer I connected to molex 1, and from the 5v transformer I also connected to molex 1, then I connected that molex 1 to the molex-sata connector, and that sata to the disk. And it works perfect!!! It's 5 or 6 years and it's going great, now I have two HDDs attached to a raspberry pi 3 and there I have more than 1600 movies and more than 140 xD series.

Now I'm thinking of replacing my old HDDs with SSDs or with M.2 nvme that I think only need 5v, but I can't find the electrical diagrams for that 😞

Greetings!