[Andoid OS] Can I turn a smartphone into dumbphone?

Go to solution Solved by guitargirl15,

I actually did this to an old Android a while ago just to see if it was doable, with the same goal of turning it into a dumbphone, and I can confirm that it did indeed boot and all the apps I left on did work properly. However, I am not sure how much this would apply to newer versions of Android, and I never tried updating the apps once I did this (I don't even think there are updates available for that phone anymore). 

I am thinking of doing something like removing the app store and package installer after rooting. In the past I have tried a lot of distraction removal apps but I found loopholes to get through them somehow. So I want a permanent solution now.

I have some questions though! How would app update work now? Can I do it with adb after day 4 to 6 months?

I don't see any other option. I have found ways through all other apps.

Please change the forum section if this is not the right section.

Main system (Mini itx 80mm)

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

i7 3632QM | Toshiba | 8GB Corsair VS RAM | Sandisk SSD PLUS | 500GB Toshiba HDD

Is simply buying a dumb phone not an option for you? They're really not expensive at all these days and they have many advantages over de-Googling an Android device, most notably battery life.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 minute ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

So you are basically thinking of something like de-Googling your phone right?

There is an adb command for that. Although I cannot guarantee that your phone will boot normally if you delete some built in apps, but some like Google's should not damage anything.

You can also look into the world of Custom ROMs like LineageOS which come without Google apps at all.

No! I want to remove package installer as well so I cant install any new apps besides the few that I want to keep on my device (maps, pacer etc)

I can install F-Droid to de-google my phone but still I can watch YouTube from open source apps. I just don't want to use my phone for things that waste my time.

i5-7500 | Asrock h110m | Noctua L9i | Realan H80 Case | 8GB 2400 Ram ADATA | M600 SSD | 500 GB Seagate

Other System (Laptop)

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Is simply buying a dumb phone not an option for you? They're really not expensive at all these days and they have many advantages over de-Googling an Android device, most notably battery life.

It's not. I have to pay through NFC sometimes and keeping cash is a problem.

Other System (Laptop)

Just now, rukspuks said:

No! I want to remove package installer as well so I cant install any new apps besides the few that I want to keep on my device (maps, pacer etc)

I can install F-Droid to de-google my phone but still I can watch YouTube from open source apps. I just don't want to use my phone for things that waste my time.

You could enroll your phone with an MDM (e.g. Android Enterprise fully managed) use it to only allow the apps that you want and then set a random password on the MDM so you can never modify it ever again 😄

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Then do not?

Forcing yourself out will do no good thing just like making something illegal does.

I cant control myself. These things are wasting my life. And, I do think I am not alone 🙂

Other System (Laptop)

5 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

Unfortunately any mechanism which removes the pre-installed Google software is likely to also break the NFC payment functionality.

Your bank may be able to offer you a contactless payment card.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

Debit and credit cards still exist...

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Unfortunately any mechanism which removes the pre-installed Google software is likely to also break the NFC payment functionality.

In india we use the UPI system for NFC and there are posts that with magisk it could work

https://androinterest.com/2020/04/23/run-banking-upi-apps-in-rooted-android/

Other System (Laptop)

If you remove the App Store then you will need to sideload App updates.

The Package installer is a core part of Android and is tied to various other functionality of the device, such as application permissions. There is a good chance your phone wont boot without it.

The closest you will get to what your after is a AOSP Rom without Google Services such as LineageOS. Some Applications may however depend on these Google Services. An alternate solution would be to build a custom AOSP Rom that fits your needs with various functionality disabled, however your getting into ROM development at that point.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

If you remove the App Store then you will need to sideload App updates.

The Package installer is a core part of Android and is tied to various other functionality of the device, such as application permissions. There is a good chance your phone wont boot without it.

The closest you will get to what your after is a AOSP Rom without Google Services such as LineageOS. Some Applications may however depend on these Google Services. An alternate solution would be to build a custom AOSP Rom that fits your needs with various functionality disabled, however your getting into ROM development at that point.

Yes thats what I was talking about. The harder is gets, the less likelier I would attempt it 🙂

Other System (Laptop)

2 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

Yes thats what I was talking about. The harder is gets, the less likelier I would attempt it 🙂

Honestly the absolute best scenario would be to get a contactless payment card from your bank and then simply buy a dumb phone and get rid of your smartphone.

However, you've already said that's not an option for you. What model is your Android phone? This can make a difference in how easily rootable it is.

pythonmegapixel

I actually did this to an old Android a while ago just to see if it was doable, with the same goal of turning it into a dumbphone, and I can confirm that it did indeed boot and all the apps I left on did work properly. However, I am not sure how much this would apply to newer versions of Android, and I never tried updating the apps once I did this (I don't even think there are updates available for that phone anymore). 

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Honestly the absolute best scenario would be to get a contactless payment card from your bank and then simply buy a dumb phone and get rid of your smartphone.

However, you've already said that's not an option for you. What model is your Android phone? This can make a difference in how easily rootable it is.

As I said, those things don't work here. Shops here don't accept cards but UPI is prevalent quite similar to how weibo works in china.

And, I want to add some apps like pacer, myfitnesspal which would not work on a dumb phone not even on the new nokias. 

I am using the Realme 5 Pro. 

Other System (Laptop)

16 minutes ago, rukspuks said:

still I can watch YouTube from open source apps. I just don't want to use my phone for things that waste my time.

Do you want a browser on your phone? Because that alone would give you access to youtube and a lot more...

Also bear in mind that almost anything you can do through ADB is reversible though ADB. You can't fool yourself. The only way I see to get around this would be setting up parental blocks and then having someone else type in a password you don't know.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Do you want a browser on your phone? Because that alone would give you access to youtube and a lot more...

Also bear in mind that almost anything you can do through ADB is reversible though ADB. You can't fool yourself. The only way I see to get around this would be setting up parental blocks and then having someone else type in a password you don't know.

No! I will not install a browser as that mutes the whole purpose of doing this.

Yes, I understand but if there is a gap between desire and accessibility, I would have problems doing it. I have understood that from psychological books like the ones from BJ Fogg

Other System (Laptop)

I mean the jiophone exists it can do nfc payments too so that would seem like the ideal solution here.

Just now, jaslion said:

I mean the jiophone exists it can do nfc payments too so that would seem like the ideal solution here.

Doesnt have pacer, myfitnesspal etc. Also doesnt have a good camera for photos.🙂

Other System (Laptop)

1 minute ago, rukspuks said:

Doesnt have pacer, myfitnesspal etc. Also doesnt have a good camera for photos.🙂

The problem is that the apps you want to install are likely to depend on Google Play Services. On the stock Android installation, it's not possible to remove the web browser, the Play Store or any other pre-installed applications to the extent that you couldn't easily re-enable it. If you install a custom ROM, you can get rid of those usually, but then you're stuck without Google Play Services so your preferred apps won't work unless you sideload the Google apps, at which point you have the Play Store back on your phone and so are back to square one.

I can't really see any easy way to avoid this predicament unfortunately.

pythonmegapixel

10 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The problem is that the apps you want to install are likely to depend on Google Play Services. On the stock Android installation, it's not possible to remove the web browser, the Play Store or any other pre-installed applications to the extent that you couldn't easily re-enable it. If you install a custom ROM, you can get rid of those usually, but then you're stuck without Google Play Services so your preferred apps won't work unless you sideload the Google apps, at which point you have the Play Store back on your phone and so are back to square one.

I can't really see any easy way to avoid this predicament unfortunately.

What if I just remove play store and browser and keep services? Removing package installer and keeping playstore can be another option?

Other System (Laptop)

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

The problem is that the apps you want to install are likely to depend on Google Play Services.

You don't have to completely de-google the device, you can just uninstall the Play Store while leaving Google Play Services available for the apps that rely on it. However, some apps may not work without the Play Store installed, even if Google Play Services are still around, so...

1 minute ago, rukspuks said:

What if I just remove play store and browser and keep services? 

I think you can probably do that - the question is whether your phone will let you.

Things might be possible over the ADB that aren't possible using the UI; I'm not sure exactly how that works though and I assumed that it wouldn't allow you to remove system apps by that method.

pythonmegapixel

You can uninstall play store, YouTube, browser, Google Play books/music, etc. over ADB, at least on Android 4.3. 😆 

You might need root access though, so you would need to do at least a temporary root first.

Just now, guitargirl15 said:

You can uninstall play store, YouTube, browser, Google Play books/music, etc. over ADB, at least on Android 4.3. 😆 

Cool, I stand corrected. That seems like it would probably be the best bet for OP then

I don't know if the apps OP wants to use are deeply enough integrated with the Play Store that they won't run correctly afterwards - I guess the only way to find out is to try.

pythonmegapixel