What's the best AMD card for my system?

el_murdoque

Hi experts, 

I have on older system with an i7 3770 and 16gig Ram (dual channel).

My current GPU is a Geforce 1660 Super, which runs fine. The thing is, however, that my machine runs Linux 95% of the time and the Geforce drivers are a major pain in the lower backside. 

AFAIK the AMD drivers are supposed to be a lot better under linux. The thing is, I know nothing about their GPUs.

What would be an equivalent of the 1660 Super, and/or the best my system can take without bottlenecking the GPU - and what would be the best bang for the buck choice?

I'm in Europe, if that matters.   

1 minute ago, el_murdoque said:

Hi experts, 

My current GPU is a Geforce 1660 Super, which runs fine. The thing is, however, that my machine runs Linux 95% of the time and the Geforce drivers are a major pain in the lower backside. 

AFAIK the AMD drivers are supposed to be a lot better under linux. The thing is, I know nothing about their GPUs.

What would be an equivalent of the 1660 Super, and/or the best my system can take without bottlenecking the GPU - and what would be the best bang for the buck choice?

Bottle necking isn't that simple, it depends massively on what games you play, some are much more CPU bound than others. I'd suggest figuring out a budget for what you're happy to spend and then we could suggest the best AMD GPU at that price point.  

10 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

Hi experts, 

No exact equivalent to a 1660 super. A RX 590 or RX 5500 are slower. The next card up in the stack is a RX 5600 xt which trades blows with the 2060.

Nothing in the 6000 series is remotely close in price

The AMD equivalent of the GTX 1660 Super is probably the RX 5600XT (RX 5500 XT/RX 590 are slower), but I'd suggest you hold off any GPU purchase for the immediate future, prices are just nutz at the moment due to the severe GPU shortage. But, if you can snag an RX 5600 XT at a reasonable price, and sell off your GTX 1660 Super to offset the price of the RX 5600 XT, then yeah....but only if you're guaranteed of snagging the RX 5600 XT. No use selling off your GTX 1660 Super and the RX 5600 XT seller backs off.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Okay. I just googled what the 1660 Super costs ATM and I nearly fell off my chair. It's twice the price of what I paid for mine about half a year ago. 

I was aware that it's close to impossible to get nVidias 3000 series cards, but I did not notice that the whole GPU market is affected. 

The better solution might be to buy a complete 2nd hand PC with a RX5600XT and Frankenstein around a bit until I'm left with a stable system plus a complete system to sell on. 

50 minutes ago, el_murdoque said:

Hi experts, 

AMD drivers are actually worse on Linux. With Geforce drivers you just have to use the stable ones, not the latest ones, those cause kernel issues now and then. I see no reason to update to the latest drivers on your platform as the new drivers fix mostly RTX card stuff and that does not apply to yours. What issues do you encounter with Geforce drivers. Fixing those would certainly be better than buying another graphics card that may end up being worse.

3 hours ago, el_murdoque said:

Hi experts, 

passmark gpu value

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.