The clock does not seem to sync in Windows?

Edvisss

So, I seem to have a very annoying issue, which has been bugging me for a month now. The time in windows is wrong.

The motherboard is MSI MPG x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi

It shows the correct time, if I press "sync now" button each and every time after boot, until the moment I turn the PC off. After I turn it back on - it shows the time as what it was at the exact point the PC was turned off. So, if I turn off my PC at 3:12AM, after I turn it on again 12 hours later, ir will still shows 3:12AM and go from there. But it also shows the wrong time in the BIOS itself, it also shows the time the PC was last turned on, and goes from there.

-I've replaced the CMOS battery twice - bought 2 at different price ranges, both did not change anything
-Updated the BIOS
-Updated Windows
-Ran anti-malware and anti-virus programs
-Changed the values in services.msc from manual to automatic, and vice-versa
-Changed the values in directory to sync every 12 hours, every 4 hours, 1 hour, 1 second (tried everything regarding with synchronization intervals)
-Downloaded 3rd party apps to try to manually sync to a 3rd party time server
-Did lots of various things in CMD, including of course with w32tm and various other things I found on google to try
-Changed from windows time to time.nist.gov and back to windows time
-Timezone is set correctly

All of these did absolutely nothing. Windows support agent told me to "Just re-install windows".

This all started happening at the start of February, when Windows rolled out a February update - after which the time got messed up. I undid the update, but the time never got fixed. I checked the drivers, everything seems to be working normally, and everything on the motherboard is also looking correct physically, everything is in their right places. I'm lost by now, no idea what could be causing this. Any advice?

41 minutes ago, Edvisss said:

So, I seem to have a very annoying issue, which has been bugging me for a month now. The time in windows is wrong.

The motherboard is MSI MPG x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi

It shows the correct time, if I press "sync now" button each and every time after boot, until the moment I turn the PC off. After I turn it back on - it shows the time as what it was at the exact point the PC was turned off. So, if I turn off my PC at 3:12AM, after I turn it on again 12 hours later, ir will still shows 3:12AM and go from there. But it also shows the wrong time in the BIOS itself, it also shows the time the PC was last turned on, and goes from there.

-I've replaced the CMOS battery twice - bought 2 at different price ranges, both did not change anything
-Updated the BIOS
-Updated Windows
-Ran anti-malware and anti-virus programs
-Changed the values in services.msc from manual to automatic, and vice-versa
-Changed the values in directory to sync every 12 hours, every 4 hours, 1 hour, 1 second (tried everything regarding with synchronization intervals)
-Downloaded 3rd party apps to try to manually sync to a 3rd party time server
-Did lots of various things in CMD, including of course with w32tm and various other things I found on google to try
-Changed from windows time to time.nist.gov and back to windows time
-Timezone is set correctly

All of these did absolutely nothing. Windows support agent told me to "Just re-install windows".

This all started happening at the start of February, when Windows rolled out a February update - after which the time got messed up. I undid the update, but the time never got fixed. I checked the drivers, everything seems to be working normally, and everything on the motherboard is also looking correct physically, everything is in their right places. I'm lost by now, no idea what could be causing this. Any advice?

Did you run the cleaner through command protocol?

Method 3: Perform a Disk Scan

Your Windows 10 problems may stem from a corrupt file. If you can boot into the operating system -- even if you have to boot into safe mode -- you should perform a file scan to check for problems. 

1. Type "cmd" into the main search box.

type cmd in search box

2. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Run as admin in command prompt

3. Type sfc /scannow at command prompt and hit Enter.

type sfc /scannow in command prompt

The scan will take a while and should fix any corrupted files it finds.

If you turn it off, come back hours later and boot directly into BIOS (skipping Windows) does it still have incorrect time?
If yes it might be a system error rather then windows...

(im guessing you also 'reverted to optimized defaults' for the BIOS?)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

17 minutes ago, Chris Greene said:

Did you run the cleaner through command protocol?

Method 3: Perform a Disk Scan

Your Windows 10 problems may stem from a corrupt file. If you can boot into the operating system -- even if you have to boot into safe mode -- you should perform a file scan to check for problems. 

1. Type "cmd" into the main search box.

type cmd in search box

2. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.

Run as admin in command prompt

3. Type sfc /scannow at command prompt and hit Enter.

type sfc /scannow in command prompt

The scan will take a while and should fix any corrupted files it finds.

It did find something and fixed it - but at the time I can't know if this was the clock error. PC needs tu be turned off for more than 4 hours for it to lose the track of time, and just use the last recorded time as a starting point. There is a log in CBS folder, yet no clue where to look for anything time related. Will update probably tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion! 

18 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

If you turn it off, come back hours later and boot directly into BIOS (skipping Windows) does it still have incorrect time?
If yes it might be a system error rather then windows...

(im guessing you also 'reverted to optimized defaults' for the BIOS?)

Yes, I did revert to optimized defaults, and also yes - bios also shows wrong time if I boot firstly into it, before windows.

Just now, Edvisss said:

It did find something and fixed it - but at the time I can't know if this was the clock error. PC needs tu be turned off for more than 4 hours for it to lose the track of time, and just use the last recorded time as a starting point. There is a log in CBS folder, yet no clue where to look for anything time related. Will update probably tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion! 

You're welcome, yeah I used this tool after I put in new ram and it wouldn't work I needed to do this and it patched my files and now I have no issues. Best of luck and I hope that works for you.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Chris Greene said:

You're welcome, yeah I used this tool after I put in new ram and it wouldn't work I needed to do this and it patched my files and now I have no issues. Best of luck and I hope that works for you.

Well, whatever it fixed - it wasn't the clock. It still shows wrong time as of today, I still need to manually press "sync now" button, in order for it to be synced. By now, I'm starting to think this might be a motherboard issue, and that was just a coincidence - that this problem showed up right after a Windows February update. Unless, you have any other advice?

42 minutes ago, Edvisss said:

Well, whatever it fixed - it wasn't the clock. It still shows wrong time as of today, I still need to manually press "sync now" button, in order for it to be synced. By now, I'm starting to think this might be a motherboard issue, and that was just a coincidence - that this problem showed up right after a Windows February update. Unless, you have any other advice?

That is very odd. If its no bother to reset it each time id do that opposed to getting a new part. Sorry I cant help further as my knowledge about this is very limited. Best of luck.

Edited by Chris Greene
Wrong answer to wrong OP cause im a derp