gpu started artifacting in bios then pc shuts down when i try to play a game

casualtrack

my gtx 980ti for a few months has been randomly losing signal to my monitors and the only way to fix it was to restart. but yesterday my pc outright started to shut down when i tried running a game, I tried to run the game a few more times.to no avail then when I load up my pc once more I spot odd red and yellow lines on my bios screen so i turn off my pc and take my gpu apart and i see that the thermal paste is dry and there are only spots of thermal paste left on the die but I don't have any spare thermal paste though I am ordering some now but I'm not sure if it is overheating because my temps in game are around 70 to 80 degrees unless the temp probe is wrong. i have looked for any burn marks on the gpu but i dont see any so if anyone knows how they can fix this that would be helpful.

Most likely isn't a thermal issue, more than likely is a problem with a trace or one of the solder points if it's artifacting like that. You could always bake it, if it is a solder point weakened to the point of failure if you got no other option, or you might wanna start looking into a replacement.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

26 minutes ago, PwnyTheTiger said:

Most likely isn't a thermal issue, more than likely is a problem with a trace or one of the solder points if it's artifacting like that. You could always bake it, if it is a solder point weakened to the point of failure if you got no other option, or you might wanna start looking into a replacement.

what do u mean bake it?

I'm kidding but not really, but don't do it... 

It's more for cards you KNOW are 100% dead because of bad solder points. But like I said, it's probably a board issue to be honest and not an issue you could easily correct. But I could be wrong.

"Beatrix"

• Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans

well i saw a method where you would heat the chip side off the gpu with a heat gun

If all else fails this method might work, it worked for my buddy back in the day on his 9800GTX but only gave it about another month of life before it bit the dust. Right now is a horrible time to have to replace a GPU though, but regardless of that fact I wouldn't do this or any heating method unless you KNOW for certain it's gone and there's no other option. Considering it's doing it in the BIOS, my thought is that the card is on it's last legs, but I'd appreciate any second or third opinions on the matter.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W

2 hours ago, casualtrack said:

my gtx 980ti for a few months has been randomly losing signal to my monitors and the only way to fix it was to restart. but yesterday my pc outright started to shut down when i tried running a game, I tried to run the game a few more times.to no avail then when I load up my pc once more I spot odd red and yellow lines on my bios screen so i turn off my pc and take my gpu apart and i see that the thermal paste is dry and there are only spots of thermal paste left on the die but I don't have any spare thermal paste though I am ordering some now but I'm not sure if it is overheating because my temps in game are around 70 to 80 degrees unless the temp probe is wrong. i have looked for any burn marks on the gpu but i dont see any so if anyone knows how they can fix this that would be helpful.

Signs of faulty vram. Can't do much about it unless you replace the vram yourself and do all of the smoldering. It's probably time for a new gpu.

ah yeah it is a crap time to have to get a gpu i dont think i will be able to get one considering the conditions just dont have the money to pay for another gpu thats 50% markup on what it use  to be

Can always buy used, you're not gonna get a 980ti for cheap but you can get something passable until you're able to, or until the market settles down.

"Beatrix"

• PSU EVGA G5 850W