Yamaha Keyboard Refusing to Record on PC

CrazedKilla124

Hey guys,

I'm having some technical issues w.r.t. recording audio from my musical keyboard, a Yamaha PSR I-425 (a region-exclusive model from my understanding), onto my laptop. I've followed the basic instructions (downloading the necessary drivers and all that), as per a WikiHow article (https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Yamaha-Keyboard-to-a-Computer), and it should theoretically be working. My laptop is recognizing the keyboard as an input device via MIDI and all that. But I'm unable to record audio onto Audacity. 

One thing that I found weird is that when on Audacity, the input option shows up as "MIDI (DroidCam Virtual Audio)". Now, I had just installed DroidCam a day back, to record video for some piano covers I intend to make on OBS through my phone camera, but I don't understand why it's showing up all over my computer in this fashion (it also shows up in input devices in the Sound Settings). I don't really know how to explain my issue properly, but I guess I can expand on this as (if, hopefully) I receive replies asking for more clarity on certain specific issues. 

P.S. I intend to record AUDIO, not MIDI - I do not have an external audio interface (which would have made things much easier), but it is what it is... 

Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

https://th.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/0/335670/psri425_en_om_a0.pdf

heres the manual.

It seems that you just record a song on the keyboard with the play pause record buttons etc and then transfer the audio files over from the keyboard. (page52 in the manual)

Hey, thanks for the reply! And thanks for linking the Manual too. I did get it working by selecting Microsoft Sound Mapper as input in Audacity. However, that only partly solves my problem - OBS Studio (which is what I want to record my keyboard into) doesn't seem to recognize Microsoft Sound Mapper as a valid input! 😞

18 hours ago, CrazedKilla124 said:

Hey guys,

I'm having some technical issues w.r.t. recording audio from my musical keyboard, a Yamaha PSR I-425 (a region-exclusive model from my understanding), onto my laptop. I've followed the basic instructions (downloading the necessary drivers and all that), as per a WikiHow article (https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Yamaha-Keyboard-to-a-Computer), and it should theoretically be working. My laptop is recognizing the keyboard as an input device via MIDI and all that. But I'm unable to record audio onto Audacity. 

One thing that I found weird is that when on Audacity, the input option shows up as "MIDI (DroidCam Virtual Audio)". Now, I had just installed DroidCam a day back, to record video for some piano covers I intend to make on OBS through my phone camera, but I don't understand why it's showing up all over my computer in this fashion (it also shows up in input devices in the Sound Settings). I don't really know how to explain my issue properly, but I guess I can expand on this as (if, hopefully) I receive replies asking for more clarity on certain specific issues. 

P.S. I intend to record AUDIO, not MIDI - I do not have an external audio interface (which would have made things much easier), but it is what it is... 

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that Audacity just kinda plain sucks for MIDI. What you want to do would be stupid simple with GarageBand (we've done this recently with a Roland FP-4F over USB).

https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Midi#:~:text=Audacity cannot record MIDI input,then recognize as keyboard shortcuts.

Audacity cannot record MIDI input, only import and play MIDI files. Audacity cannot be directly controlled by a MIDI controller, though Bome's MIDI Translator (Windows and Mac) can translate MIDI commands to standard keystrokes which Audacity can then recognize as keyboard shortcuts.

So according to this, you can use your Keyboard as a soundboard if you map keystrokes to a sound library - or you can use the keyboard to run commands.

Neither of these are particularly useful to you.

You need a different DAW - one with proper MIDI support. Here's one comparison list of different DAWs. Some you might be able to get for free (or for a small fee).

https://blog.landr.com/best-free-daw/

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation (basically Audio mixing/recording software, such as Audacity).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)