My HDD is my boot drive but my SSD has windows on it...

noodlespinbot

I bought aa pre-built that i'm slowly upgrading and I noticed recently that my  HDD is the assigned boot drive but my SSD is what shows up as containing windows in windows. I thought the boot drive had the OS on it and am confused. 

I have 1 240gb ssd and 1 250gb hdd.

If this is in the BIOS it just goes through them in order until it finds an OS and launches it. Your OS drive can be half way down the boot order list but still be the boot drive.

If this isnt in the BIOS then what is telling you it is your "Boot drive". A boot drive is just the name for the drive with the OS you are booting on.

I have said boot so many times it has lost all meaning.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, NineEyeRon said:

If this is in the BIOS it just goes through them in order until it finds an OS and launches it. Your OS drive can be half way down the boot order list but still be the boot drive.

If this isnt in the BIOS then what is telling you it is your "Boot drive". A boot drive is just the name for the drive with the OS you are booting on.

Ohhhhh i get it now. Ty 

Do they both have an operating system installed?

To set the SSD as the boot drive you'll need to change the boot priority order in the motherboard BIOS. This is what tells the motherboard which drive to boot to when you turn on the computer. If it's a prebuilt PC and the OS was initially installed in the HDD then they'll likely have that set to boot from the HDD as default.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Do they both have an operating system installed?

To set the SSD as the boot drive you'll need to change the boot priority order in the motherboard BIOS. This is what tells the motherboard which drive to boot to when you turn on the computer. If it's a prebuilt PC and the OS was initially installed in the HDD then they'll likely have that set to boot from the HDD as default.

Only the SSD has an os

Also, when i was swapping drives yesterday and unplugged the HDD it said no boot drive. When I only had the HDD plugged in, windows launched and said my SSD was missing but still windows launched off the HDD. I don't get how windows is on the SSD in file explorer when it doesn't seem to be on it.

8 minutes ago, noodlespinbot said:

Also, when i was swapping drives yesterday and unplugged the HDD it said no boot drive. When I only had the HDD plugged in, windows launched and said my SSD was missing but still windows launched off the HDD. I don't get how windows is on the SSD in file explorer when it doesn't seem to be on it.

If it booted to windows with only the HDD installed then it sounds like windows is installed on the hard drive. 

Did you install windows on to the SSD yourself, if so, what method did you use to install it? Did you clone the HDD or did you install a fresh copy of windows with a bootable USB?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

If it booted to windows with only the HDD installed then it sounds like windows is installed on the hard drive. 

Did you install windows on to the SSD yourself, if so, what method did you use to install it? Did you clone the HDD or did you install a fresh copy of windows with a bootable USB?

Windows was on the PC when i bought it

-> Moved to Operating Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/28/2021 at 1:08 PM, NineEyeRon said:

Well I might be wrong but I'd think generally your OS drive has this little Windows icon, and if that isn't the first one showing up in "This PC", then it isn't your "boot drive" even though you probably boot from it. @_@

20210302_025305.thumb.jpg.39e2f17d3ca74fa9a6ba04cdab629aa4.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer