Full ATX HTPC, for modern hardware.

Spike74656

Hi, 

I'm looking at building a new PC for the living room under the TV. Will also be used for VR (Quest 2 using link cable) 

My intention is for a full ATX mobo (probably the ROG Strix X570), an AMD 5600X to 5900X and a RTX 3080 (when I can get hold of one). Given the dimensions I'm limited to I won't be able to fit a decent tower cooler so would also like a 240mm AIO for the CPU.

The catch?

Well the space I want to put it in is 180mm tall by 450mm deep by 800mm wide. I've looked around and there are some HTCP cases that might do the job but there all so old that there are no reviews that would tell me what the thermals might be like with modern hardware. 

Can anyone recommend a case that both fit all the components and not cook them?

12 hours ago, tkitch said:

Thanks for the link. This is one of the cases I looked at but wasn't sure where I'd fit a 240mm AIO. Do you know if there is any info out there about how this case performs thermally? All I can find is very old reviews of the original GD-09.

Part of the problem with the AIO is not simply whether it will fit, but where it will be placed in the case in relation to the CPU. The tank of the radiator should be amounted above the pump, except, there is no way to do that in this PC case. That's sub-optimal and will put strain on the pump, increasing noise and leading to a shorter lifespan for the AIO cooler.

Basically, there is air in every AIO cooler. For practical manufacturing reasons and shipping concerns, it really isn't possible to eliminate air within the AIO. Air will redistribute in the cooler when it is installed. You want that air to redistribute into the radiator tank - NOT within the tubes throughout the radiator fins or within the hoses - and most definitely not within the CPU pump.

tl;dr: that's presents a real problem when using an AIO in this case.  

5 hours ago, Steel_Wind said:

The tank of the radiator should be amounted above the pump, except, there is no way to do that in this PC case. 

..... Have you ever seen anyone build in this case witn an AIO?

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/m2Cbt6

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/J2nH99

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6DxG3C

All of these cases have the radiator at the highest point of the loop, because the case lays on it's side.

Most people seen to use a Noctua U9 or D9 though

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/dsR48d#h=4833,42366

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Thanks both. So from what you've posted it looks like I would get away with a 120mm AIO but a 240mm would be suboptimal.

Just hope a 3080 paired with a Ryzen won't turn it into an oven. All these HTCP cases seem to have been designed for more basic specs. 

Might just have to bite the bullet and give it a go. Guess I can always buy a new case in The future if I'm not happy with the performance.