Will a Gen 3 SSD with OS affect a Gen 4 drives speed for workloads ?

Mouse-Potato

Hi,

I was wondering what the outcome of this would be.

I'm planning a build for a friend that does video editing, i was thinking of using a gen 3 SSD for his main OS but then use a large Gen 4 SSD for his video editing workloads(he does this professionally and has massive file sizes to edit).

Does anyone know if the Gen 3 as an OS will affect the Gen 4's speed ? Will it create a bottleneck ?

What would be the best setup for his use case scenario ?

I was thinking a NAS to store all his files, then he could pull the currn work onto his editing rig and work his magic then when everything is done he can store it back onto his NAS.

Thanks guys !

NVMe vs SATA (AHCI) is already pedantic in OS speed. Gen 3 vs Gen 4 is more so. In fact actually, most Gen 4 drives (Innogrit--but firmware f'ed its cache, WD Prop, 980 Pro, 4+ are exceptions) are actually slower (think E16) in that regard. It's not a bottleneck.

If you want the 980 Pro @ 1TB, SN850 @ 2TB, or Rocket 4 Plus @ 4TB, that'd be the end-all-be all drive setup...Would just using a SK Hynix Gold P31 or Samsung Evo Plus be good enough? Probably....I'd have to revisit some benchmarks to see the difference between those Gen 4 vs Gen 3 drives. 

I do have to say props to you, even if you did it unknowingly, for splitting the drives as seen by some Pudget Systems, professional video editing with separate drives drastically improves performance. 

37 minutes ago, ForwardVoltage said:

professional video editing with separate drives drastically improves performance.

And not just video editing - any similar workload.

Thing is - SSD-s are bad at mixed workloads (as can be seen in benchmarks), so for any case when you read and write a lot of data at the same time it is much better to read from one and write to another then doing in on single ssd.

Thanks for the insight, I have read that splitting them is best. I learned this for my main rig where i have two 850 evo's in RAID 0 for games and a sabrent M2 for my OS. Makes things a lot snappier to say the least.

For this setup would it be best to run 2 Gen 4 drives (Sabrent 4.0) and higher speed ram to benefit the most from the bandwith and editing speeds ?