Dumb newbie question about XLR interfaces

pythonmegapixel

I'm vaguely considering buying a Behringer UM2 because I want to use an XLR mic with my computer. I notice that as well as the XLR and 6.3mm inputs, there are 6.3mm and RCA outputs.

Are these outputs for monitoring the inputs (i.e. does it just send the sound from the inputs straight out of the outputs), or are those outputs for playing sound from the computer over USB?

It feels like that Direct Monitor button should have something to do with this as well but I'm not sure what.

Sorry for the newbie question; I just want to make absolutely sure what the thing does before I buy it

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

As it is a usb soundcard, the output will be from the pc.

Everything that is playing from the pc will be the output, including the mic / inputs.

Direct monitor is when you need to monitor only the inputs and not the pc audio to your headphones only not the rca output.

CMIIW.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Direct monitor often means that it mixes audio from the DAW with the analog input. Some interfaces have a pot for balancing between these two, others (like the Focusrite Scarlett) have a switch.

When the Direct Monitor is not switched on (or if it has a pot, when the pot is fully in the "digital" position), then the outputs on the back are an analog output just like any other sound card.

When it IS switched on, then it depends on the interface. It could monitor ONLY the microphone inputs, or it could monitor both the PC audio (digital inputs) and the microphone inputs. I've seen both.