is the nvidia shield worth it?

narrdarr

so we have been playing a lot of couch co op games lately. but have been playing on a 24” 1440p monitor. was thinking of getting a nvidia shield to stream and play from our TLC s525. it's a roku TV that's 4k 60hz. 

is getting a nvidia shield worth it?

Depends. If at it does is stream a game from a pc then you might even have the steam link app on the tv available for that. If ti's actually playing games on the device too and other services the shield can be nice. The shield also offers some pretty darn excellent ai upscaling for content too which is a really nice suprise. That and with a tiny bit of tinkering it can run gamecube and wii games really well because nintendo decided that they would bring wii games to it :p.

Well if you want to stream your game then it's worth it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I find that it's a debate of getting a raspberry pi or a shield. The pi can do most of the things you want it to do, plus a few more PC streaming things, but it lacks in performance and doesn't have the upscaling features the shield has.

Since you have a 4k TV, the shield is the better of the 2 if you intend to push through full 4k game play, but I myself would personally go for the pi if you can find other projects for it and want to save money.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Depends. If at it does is stream a game from a pc then you might even have the steam link app on the tv available for that. If ti's actually playing games on the device too and other services the shield can be nice. The shield also offers some pretty darn excellent ai upscaling for content too which is a really nice suprise. That and with a tiny bit of tinkering it can run gamecube and wii games really well because nintendo decided that they would bring wii games to it :p.

16 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I find that it's a debate of getting a raspberry pi or a shield. The pi can do most of the things you want it to do, plus a few more PC streaming things, but it lacks in performance and doesn't have the upscaling features the shield has.

Since you have a 4k TV, the shield is the better of the 2 if you intend to push through full 4k game play, but I myself would personally go for the pi if you can find other projects for it and want to save money.

does the shield only upscale video content or can it upscale gameplay? like 1440p to 4k. my pcs are decent but not 4k gaming good. 

ps 

I though steam link was discontinued. if not what res is supported ?

15 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

does the shield only upscale video content or can it upscale gameplay? like 1440p to 4k. my pcs are decent but not 4k gaming good. 

ps 

Shield upscales all content. That said it's not gonna be instantly 4k like DLSS, but it won't look weird as though an off resolution was on the screen, as though your TV was native 1440p instead of doing weird calculations and giving you a fuzzy 1440p video.

Steam link device was discontinued, but the program is still supported and you can use it on both computers, SBC(like the raspi), and android devices like phones and the nvdia shield. Hence why I consider both valid options for in home PC streaming.

Also my friends are telling me to tell you to get a hamburger.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

7 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Also my friends are telling me to tell you to get a hamburger.

no cheese no thank you

10 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Shield upscales all content. That said it's not gonna be instantly 4k like DLSS, but it won't look weird as though an off resolution was on the screen, as though your TV was native 1440p instead of doing weird calculations and giving you a fuzzy 1440p video.

Steam link device was discontinued, but the program is still supported and you can use it on both computers, SBC(like the raspi), and android devices like phones and the nvdia shield. Hence why I consider both valid options for in home PC streaming.

ok

steam link isn't supported on roku TVs so I guess the shield would the best choice.

9 hours ago, narrdarr said:

ps 

Steam link supports 4k too IF you have the bandwith. It will run at a lower res even if hard set to 4k if it notices it cannot keep up.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Steam link supports 4k too IF you have the bandwith. It will run at a lower res even if hard set to 4k if it notices it cannot keep up.

yea I looked into it earlier. but steam link looks like it's not an option anymore as neither of my TVs (roku and vizio) support steam link.

Just now, narrdarr said:

yea I looked into it earlier. but steam link looks like it's not an option anymore as neither of my TVs (roku and vizio) support steam link.

That is unfortunate. An old computer could also do the trick but if you don't have that around a shield isn't a bad buy. As for the upscaling during games it can actually work on game video streams. Not local games but it is an option for incoming streams.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is unfortunate. An old computer could also do the trick but if you don't have that around a shield isn't a bad buy. As for the upscaling during games it can actually work on game video streams. Not local games but it is an option for incoming streams.

I've handed down anything decent.  the only hanging around are old old systems  like Pentium 2 , AMD 64, and Pentium d. and a couple crap GPU s too 6870 and 7790.

I think the performance of the shield would be a better choice.  not to mention noise, heatout put into the room, and power consumption