Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help, m.2 slot wifi card doesnt fit on m.2 slot

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

All m.2 is not created equal.  M.2 and pcie are not the same.  M.2 has a “key” system.  Nvme is m key and sata is B key for example.  My memory is wifi is a different letter entirely.  Those slots in the end of the card are the keys.  They’re designed so a card has to have the right slots to fit.  Often motherboards have slots for wifi cards, but they’re in an entirely different place and are not long like that.  Often they point straight up.

Need some help with this.

Its my first build i do, and im having a problem with the m.2 slots.

I have a asrock b450m pro4 motherboard, wich has two m.2 slots (one normal and other one ultra) and i a bought a intel ax200 wifi card wich is m.2, but for some fucking reason the little card its off by 2mm or 1mm in the m.2 slots of the motherboard, and i dont why the fuck is like that. I asked my dad (he's a electronics guy) and told me that the card has a conection thats not making contact with the conector and because of that the intel card has the 2mm or 1mm diference thats not letting it go in the m.2. So idk what the fuck is going on and thats why im making this post in hope that someone can help me with these. Here are some pictures of the mess.

16144849614084019138724449291963.jpg

16144850306282975154838724380729.jpg

10 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

it's m.2 2230, which slot 2 can fit, but slot 1 can't. https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m Pro4/#Specification

edit: could be wrong, but i thought that mobo's that could accommodate m.2 wifi had a specific spot for just wifi cards. either way, slot 2 claims it will fit 2230.

I already tried put in it on the other m.2 slot and it also has the same problem

All m.2 is not created equal.  M.2 and pcie are not the same.  M.2 has a “key” system.  Nvme is m key and sata is B key for example.  My memory is wifi is a different letter entirely.  Those slots in the end of the card are the keys.  They’re designed so a card has to have the right slots to fit.  Often motherboards have slots for wifi cards, but they’re in an entirely different place and are not long like that.  Often they point straight up.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, MrValencia said:

I already tried put in it on the other m.2 slot and it also has the same problem

the wifi card slot's afaik are m.2 key e, which the two on your mobo aren't.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So that means i bought something completely wrong?

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

the wifi card slot's afaik are m.2 key e, which the two on your mobo aren't.

Fuck, then i think a bought something completely different. Well thanks for the help 

5 minutes ago, MrValencia said:

So that means i bought something completely wrong?

Maybe.  Your motherboard manual could be a help here.  You might have a third m.2 slot that is e key, but is not listed with the other two but as a slot specifically for a wifi adaptor.  Many monos have this.  Quite frequently if there is also a wifi version of the board.  Sometimes whether a board is the wifi version is just a question of if the slot is populated at the factory or not.  Generally in these situations the wifi card has to have its own antenna in the form of a wire that snaps on to the card that you have to drape as best you can.

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, MrValencia said:

Fuck, then i think a bought something completely different. Well thanks for the help 

you could get a pci card that accommodates that card, otherwise, yea unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Maybe.  Your motherboard manual could be a help here.  You might have a third m.2 slot that is e key, but is not listed with the other two but as a slot specifically for a wifi adaptor.  Many monos have this.  Quite frequently if there is also a wifi version of the board.  Sometimes whether a board is the wifi version is just a question of if the slot is populated at the factory or not.  Generally in these situations the wifi card has to have its own antenna in the form of a wire that snaps on to the card that you have to drape as best you can.

Thanks for the info, i didnt knew that. Unfortunately mine doesnt have the extra slot):