New Ryzen PC will not boot in Dual Channel Mode

Tiltedque
Go to solution Solved by Tiltedque,

I just installed an ASUS TUF x570 Gaming Plus and it is all working now! It was dead memory channels all along on the motherboard.

Hello!

First I will start off by saying the specs of the new build:

MSI Meg x570 Ace Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8 3600mhz cl18 (cmw32gx4m4d3600c18)
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular
CORSAIR - iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler (6 fans in push/pull)
2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB (neither are showing in windows, but show in BIOS)
1x Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW020T8X1  (Boots into windows fine)

Everything is going great, except when I try to use a second slot of memory.. Per my motherboard manual, DIMMA2 is 2nd from CPU, and DIMMB2 would obviously be the furthest from the CPU.
I followed the instructions, booted with 1 RAM stick, turned off XMP, updated the BIOS to the most recent, everything was great.
I went ahead and added the second stick and it will not post. I get errors "0d" "00" "F0". I am unable to load BIOS, I do not even get a picture on my screen to show up..

I am lost on what to do next? The PC continues to run with only 1 stick of RAM, and only spits out error codes when a second stick is added. 

I have also used a program called "Diver easy" to update all drivers for the entire PC.

Per the MSI MEG manual:
"0d" = Reserved for future AMI SEC error codes
"00" = not in manual
"F0" = Recovery condition triggered by firmware

IMG-0196.jpg

It is worth noting that all 4 ram sticks work in slot 2, but none work in slots 1,3,4.

Since you have 4 sticks have you tried to boot with 2 sticks in single channel? Have you broken any pins on the CPU because you might have a dead memory channel. Above you said that your M.2 drives weren't showing in Windows, so it could also be a motherboard issue.

Hope this helps!

reset the bios and try plug it in slot A1 and B1 (odds).

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

reset the bios and try plug it in slot A1 and B1 (odds).

The result of this is a black screen and error code "F0". The red LED assigned to DRAM is also lit.. But all of the DRAM work independently of each other in a single channel mode.

Is there a way to know if the CPU or Motherboard is responsible? I do not have any other AMD CPU systems to test with.. So I cannot test CPU in a diff MB or test MB with a different CPU

Is it possible that it could be a BIOS issue?

First. Power switch off the PSU and pull the cmos battery for at least 10 minutes. It doesn't hurt to hit the power button once to bleed the caps.

After you've done that, install 2 sticks slots A2 and B2.

Post the board. Wait 90 to 120s. 1st cold post can sometimes take extra time during self check.

The second thing I'd try is a different kit of memory. 32gb 2x16gb configuration. 

An alternative, would be to install the diagnostics beep speaker so you can get actual post errors.

Post "codes" are mostly informative where the board's self check hangs at. Doesn't mean that where it hung is the actual error.

3 things could be bad. Cpu board or ram.

Since this ram is horrible 18-22-22 timings set, It could be the board and cpu just hates this set of memory. 

But you won't know unless you get another set. I'd aim for 3200mhz CL16 and probably either Micron or Samsung. 

Stay away from the Hynix if you can. 2x16gb might be a better configuration also.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

First. Power switch off the PSU and pull the cmos battery for at least 10 minutes. It doesn't hurt to hit the power button once to bleed the caps.

After you've done that, install 2 sticks slots A2 and B2.

Post the board. Wait 90 to 120s. 1st cold post can sometimes take extra time during self check.

The second thing I'd try is a different kit of memory. 32gb 2x16gb configuration. 

An alternative, would be to install the diagnostics beep speaker so you can get actual post errors.

Post "codes" are mostly informative where the board's self check hangs at. Doesn't mean that where it hung is the actual error.

3 things could be bad. Cpu board or ram.

Since this ram is horrible 18-22-22 timings set, It could be the board and cpu just hates this set of memory. 

But you won't know unless you get another set. I'd aim for 3200mhz CL16 and probably either Micron or Samsung. 

Stay away from the Hynix if you can. 2x16gb might be a better configuration also.

So after doing this, my computer displayed no image, no beeps, spit out error code "00" and the CPU LED light was red.
I let it run in this state for over 10 minutes and nothing changed.. 

I am thinking this is a CPU or MB failure.. I have been troubleshooting this all day now, and it works flawlessly with 1 ram (XMP 3600 works perfectly) and refuses to show a screen at all when adding a second ram. 

Going to have this ram shipped to me over night 
https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-Trident-PC4-28800-CL16-19-19-39-F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC/dp/B07WTS8T2W/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ddr4+3600+cl14&qid=1614480397&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=pc&sr=1-3

Will see if it works tomorrow or not.. If nothing else, at least I will have 1 slot of 16gb vs 1 slot of 8... Plus it is CL16 vs CL18. 

Not really wanting to buy a new motherboard/CPU just to test.. Especially when the system is running great (aside from the occasional freeze due to maxing out my RAM)

Yes it can be extremely difficult to diag without having spare parts. We'll see what happens I guess with what you got.

The new ram sticks were just delivered. 

I went ahead and put them in, my system turned off and on a few times, spit out the same "F0" code, no signal, no beeping, but it reset all settings automatically as it took off all OCs on RAM & CPU.

If the computer automatically reverts back to base BIOS, this is never going to work as the manual specifically says to turn on the XMP profile before adding additional ram sticks to the system. 

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so it has been 3 weeks and now my PC locks up for extended periods of time (20-45 seconds) where all programs related to windows simply do not work (excel offline, calculator, calendar) and things like chrome do not work and lock up, however I am still amazingly able to check my emails. The system locked up while writing this forum post, and yet I am still able to type and none of my data is loss.  Any game that is primarily offline like Shadow of War, Madden, 2k21, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn seems to also freeze  but games like WoW, LoL, Warzone, and other online games are not interrupted

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now, but since waking up this morning an hour and 20 minutes ago, the computer has frozen probably a dozen times and is pretty unusable.

The odds are looking like the CPU is bad, but I would like to know if any of you have some thoughts?

I have caught excel offline fail to load and stating things like "Waiting for memory cache". Which relates to the RAM issue I have been having.. My system is not overheating, it never exceeds 50c with my iCue H150i that is in push/pull/. There are 8 fans in this PC (2 at the top, 6 for intake with a rad)

None of the RAM I have used has ever worked, so it isn't the RAM.

Really not sure where to go from here except to buy a CPU

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I put in a 5800x and unfortunately the problem still persists.. I am going to RMA the motherboard as that is the only solution left in sight.. 

I just installed an ASUS TUF x570 Gaming Plus and it is all working now! It was dead memory channels all along on the motherboard.