Is my switch failing?

NTDaws

Sup fellas, I ran a speedtest on my main modem and it's still getting it's full gigabit download and upload speed. However, when I run it on my pc which runs through two switches, my speed drops to 383/983

Is it possible that the switches running outside could be failing and need a replacement. I'm not sure what the average lifespan is of a basic 8 port unmanaged switch.

Thanks.

11005730211.png

The geek himself.

that may as well be an issue on the speedtest server's side, in the 300 range is a really common speed to hit a 'bottleneck' on.

as for the lifespan of an unmanaged switch.. they last until they die. as long as you're not seeing lost packets they can be assumed good.

You're more likely to see single ports failing on a switch before catastrophic failure. If one port is exhibiting strange behaviour try another.

I'd also try setting up a iperf test on a system on the other end of the network then seeing if the client in question can read/write to it at full gigabit speeds. This would either eliminate or prove your LAN as a culprit to the issue.