All in one radio for 10m, 12m, VHF, UHF, etc bands

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
23 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Usually these SDRs are receivers, and not transmitters...

Finding something at the prebuilt consumer level that you need more than one license to operate is a bit unlikely.  At the consumer level things are built for profit, and with such a tiny legal user base there just wouldn’t be any.   Whatever it is you’re probably going to have to build it. Wifi has severe power limits specifically because it keeps it in the unlicensed range for that frequency.  You could in theory build a more powerful transceiver but it would have to be licensed, so they don’t get sold.  Built by hobbiests perhaps.  Sold though I doubt it.  This is not to say you couldn’t hack together something. People sometimes arrange wifi transceivers to have more power than is legally allowed.  

Is there a single all in one radio transceiver/ham radio that I can use to transmit (with a license) on all of these frequencies?

I can find ham radios that transmit on 2m and 80cm (VHF and UHF), and I can find CB radios, and I can also find others, but I can never find a radio that has all of these features in one.

Does such a thing exist?

I remember hearing on youtube about some sort of transmitter that had a lot of different bands, but I forgot the name of it. I think it was around 300$.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

The various bands would need various different licenses. HAM is only one of them.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The various bands would need various different licenses. HAM is only one of them.

yes i am aware, i am just curious if there is an all in one transceiver that lets you transmit on these frequencies

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

23 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Usually these SDRs are receivers, and not transmitters...

Finding something at the prebuilt consumer level that you need more than one license to operate is a bit unlikely.  At the consumer level things are built for profit, and with such a tiny legal user base there just wouldn’t be any.   Whatever it is you’re probably going to have to build it. Wifi has severe power limits specifically because it keeps it in the unlicensed range for that frequency.  You could in theory build a more powerful transceiver but it would have to be licensed, so they don’t get sold.  Built by hobbiests perhaps.  Sold though I doubt it.  This is not to say you couldn’t hack together something. People sometimes arrange wifi transceivers to have more power than is legally allowed.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few "all band" transceivers around, but you won't get anything usable for $300 unless you find a very good deal on the used market. Even still, the "all band" transceivers aren't that much fun to use. Most of them have lousy user interfaces (Yaesu being one of the bigger offenders here) and some of them have reliability issues. For example, some versions of the Icom IC-706 are known for blowing the finals in the UHF section. Not fun, especially when you look up the price of those RF power transistors!

How much power are you looking to make? Even at a modest power level, a transceiver that can do what you want would probably cost a manufacturer $300 just in parts. 

Also, at least in the US, the class of license does not generally change the maximum allowable power level, only the bands that can be transmitted on. There are a few exceptions to this (particularly with legacy license classes), but Technicians, Generals and Extras all have the same legal limit of 1500 W PEP.

Edited by H713
Added some more details.

The Baofeng UV5-R is a nice and cheap option if you just want to get into radio for fun. I have one that I mostly use to receive SSTV and digital amateur communications. I even managed to get several images from NOAA weather satellites with the antenna it came with! (the image bellow is quite noisy though, you can kind of see Germany/France/Italy) It can also be setup as a transceiver if you have a license, though I only use it that way on walkie-talkie frequencies from time to time while hiking.

1602429311820.jpeg.e624bdc749a172be54c217eb7feb042a.jpeg

2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

Techs are not allowed that kind of power on HF, only 6 Meters+

US Amateur Transmitter Power Limits

"At all times, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. Novice/Technicians are limited to 200 watts PEP on HF bands. Geographical power restrictions apply to the 630 meter, 70 centimeter, 33 centimeter and 23 centimeter bands"

http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations

Right, I forget that they do allow Techs some amount of HF privileges.