mainly for car pics and video

i have attached a photo

lenss.thumb.png.bfb64ef7313145bb03f9f8299cfd8c89.png

thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have any lenses already?

Do you want a zoom or prime?

What focal lengths do you want?

i have edited the original post, please see again. I want to get into car photo/videography. i have chosen my camera and want a lens. i want to take low and high aperture photos, i want to also take close up and wide angles. and take videos as well. in the post there is a photo of the lenses to choose from

1 minute ago, Agena_ said:

i have edited the original post, please see again. I want to get into car photo/videography. i have chosen my camera and want a lens. i want to take low and high aperture photos, i want to also take close up and wide angles. and take videos as well. in the post there is a photo of the lenses to choose from

Id just get the 18-55mm kit lens to start with(normally you can get a good price if you buy it with the camera), good flexible lens and fits in the budget. Then later on get a faster prime, telephoto or ultra wide depending on what you need

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get the 18-55mm kit lens to start with(normally you can get a good price if you buy it with the camera), good flexible lens and fits in the budget. Then later on get a faster prime, telephoto or ultra wide depending on what you need

but would the original lens that comes with the camera, fit all needs for car pics/videos

also, just to note. out of all of the lenses in the picture, which ones best?

2 minutes ago, Agena_ said:

but would the original lens that comes with the camera, fit all needs for car pics/videos

also, just to note. out of all of the lenses in the picture, which ones best?

The kit lens is a good do most things lens. Not great at anything, but decent at everything. Id give that try to see what you like, then get another lens later that fits the type of shots you like the most. 

Like how wide do you want the lens? Do you want a zoom? How low light? There are so many ways to take car pictures

go sigma 17-70.

its decent.

most car stuff I see is shot on the wider end of normal so below 35mm.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The kit lens is a good do most things lens. Not great at anything, but decent at everything. Id give that try to see what you like, then get another lens later that fits the type of shots you like the most. 

Like how wide do you want the lens? Do you want a zoom? How low light? There are so many ways to take car pictures

i want to take close up shots, like rims, and wide shots of a whole car with a background for example, 

i would like zoom, (dont they come with all lenses anyway?)

and i would take car pics at night as well, but thats where iso comes in doesnt it?

Just now, Agena_ said:

and i would take car pics at night as well, but thats where iso comes in doesnt it?

Problem is high iso = noise, so a faster lens is often a good buy

would like zoom, (dont they come with all lenses anyway?)

Primes don't zoom, and are normally cheaper, faster and sharper than a simmilar zoom lens.

Id probably get the nikon 18-55 vr. the stabilization is nice to have(gets you much better hand held long ish exposures). and decent at everything.

Problem is high iso = noise, so a faster lens is often a good buy

i understand that high iso = noise.     but whats a faster lens? how do you know. does a faster lens have less noise at high iso?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Primes don't zoom

prime lens are the ones with the fixed aperture right?  the ones that only say f/2.8

Just now, Agena_ said:

i understand that high iso = noise.     but whats a faster lens? how do you know. does a faster lens have less noise at high iso?

prime lens are the ones with the fixed aperture right?  the ones that only say f/2.8

faster lenses let more light though, so a faster f stop.

Primes don't zoom, so it would say 50mm instead of 18-55mm. The aperature listed is the widest it will go, basically all lenses will stop down to like f22

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a faster f stop

so that means more blurrier background image, so if its got a small number aperture its faster.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Primes don't zoo

i would prefer a zoom lens, and variable aperture so i can take blurry and non blurry images. 

so heres the updated list, i got rid of prime and fixed apertures

len.jpg

so that means more blurrier background image, so if its got a small number aperture its faster.

Yup.

would prefer a zoom lens, and variable aperture so i can take blurry and non blurry images. 

so heres the updated list, i got rid of prime and fixed apertures

None of these have fixed aptures. Some zoom lenses will change their aptures as you zoom in, some don't. All of these can be stopped down to like f22.

Id really just buy a camera with the lens included, so they come in one backage, normally a better lens, and you don't have to deal with used lenses.

Id get the 18-55 vr from that bunch, stabilization is nice. 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup.

None of these have fixed aptures. Some zoom lenses will change their aptures as you zoom in, some don't. All of these can be stopped down to like f22.

Id really just buy a camera with the lens included, so they come in one backage, normally a better lens, and you don't have to deal with used lenses.

Id get the 18-55 vr from that bunch, stabilization is nice. 

yeah im pretty confused, ill just stick with the original lens as you said it is good at everything. 

would i be limited in my car genre, i want to take rolling shots, standing videos and cool photos. 

yeah im pretty confused, ill just stick with the original lens as you said it is good at everything. 

would i be limited in my car genre, i want to take rolling shots, standing videos and cool photos. 

Yea the kit lens is fine at everything.

Id use it and see what type of pics you like taking, and maybe get a lens thats good at that later on.

31 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

go sigma 17-70.

its decent.

most car stuff I see is shot on the wider end of normal so below 35mm.

@Electronics Wizardybut what about what this person said, this one has wider range of focal length and different apertures

Just now, Agena_ said:

@Electronics Wizardybut what about what this person said, this one has wider range of focal length and different apertures

All of these seem to be used lenses, what conditions are they in?

Sigma seems to be a bit better, but checked used quality first. 

Id really try to just buy the d5500 with the kit lens included though. Did you already buy the camera?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

All of these seem to be used lenses, what conditions are they in?

Sigma seems to be a bit better, but checked used quality first. 

Id really try to just buy the d5500 with the kit lens included though. Did you already buy the camera?

its from mpb.com

i didnt see this at first, the original nikon 18-55 is excellent condition like new

but the sigma is heavily used, and i dont think ill find a good one under or near £100, would i?

i havent bought it, but after research i think d series is best for me, d5500.

Just now, Agena_ said:

overall budget?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Agena_ said:

its from mpb.com

i didnt see this at first, the original nikon 18-55 is excellent condition like new

but the sigma is heavily used, and i dont think ill find a good one under or near £100, would i?

Id buy the camera with a kit lens included, instead of buying them separately. 

Id look at the canon t7/t6/t6i/t7i/t8i also. They will all work about the same, so get the cheapest from the bunch. You probably won't notice the quality different between them.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

overall budget?

around £300

but the reason for that, is its got swivel screen. as for car photos u get low a lot so you can see

also 60fps for video, and so you can slow down and not get choppy

around £300

but the reason for that, is its got swivel screen. as for car photos u get low a lot so you can see

also 60fps for video, and so you can slow down and not get choppy

I have done a lot of low pics without a swivel screen, I wouldn't make that a deciding factor the the camera.

Do you have a rig or tripod? handle holding a dlsr for video isn't optimal, and you really want a lens for stabilization if possible.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have done a lot of low pics without a swivel screen, I wouldn't make that a deciding factor the the camera.

Do you have a rig or tripod? handle holding a dlsr for video isn't optimal, and you really want a lens for stabilization if possible.

no i havent, but i do plan when getting the camera to get a gimball for rolling shots as its got stabilisation

i will also probably get a tripod for pictures

but isnt it hard taking low shots with flat screen?

Just now, Agena_ said:

but isnt it hard taking low shots with flat screen?

I don't find it as a huge issue. NOrmally your shooting pretty wide here, so you can just shoot without a view finder, or look at the live view screen.