Can I get an M.2 Key adapter?

Cantaloupeman

So I bought a wifi adapter (intel ax200 kit) and it doesn't fit in my m.2 slot. It is a different key type and the screw hole doesn't line up. I waited too long to send it back and can't return it now. Can I buy an adapter for it?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just get a pcie to e key adapter and use a pcie slot.

I looked around a bit and didn't find any good pci adapters but this one looks promising. Will this work?

I've got the intel chip with an E key and pretty sure I have M key on my mobo. It also has bluetooth included in the wifi chip

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000274478342.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=1582410664&albag=59754279756&trgt=743612850874&crea=en4000274478342&netw=u&device=c&albpg=743612850874&albpd=en4000274478342

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Yea make sure that you get the usb cable, but it should work fine.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea make sure that you get the usb cable, but it should work fine.

Just noticed the ship date is april 13th so that kinda sucks. Gonna try and find another one of the same kind. What is the usb cable for?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

Just noticed the ship date is april 13th so that kinda sucks. Gonna try and find another one of the same kind. What is the usb cable for?

usb is for bluetooth, pcie is for wifi.

Bluetooth only works over USB, which is why A and E key M.2 slots also have USB pins. WiFi/Bluetooth PCIe cards have the USB connector thing so they can use Bluetooth.

M, B, and B+M key sockets only have PCIe pins (which WiFi can run over), which is why your adapter has the USB thing.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

Bluetooth only works over USB, which is why A and E key M.2 slots also have USB pins. WiFi/Bluetooth PCIe cards have the USB connector thing so they can use Bluetooth.

M, B, and B+M key sockets only have PCIe pins (which WiFi can run over), which is why your adapter has the USB thing.

Sorry, I meant that my intel chip has bluetooth built in. What it seems like is that you can just plug it into an E key slot and use both wifi 6 and bluetooth 5.0. Is that not the case with an adapter?

Sorry, I meant that my intel chip has bluetooth built in. What it seems like is that you can just plug it into an E key slot and use both wifi 6 and bluetooth 5.0. Is that not the case with an adapter?

WiFi/Bluetooth cards use both PCIe and USB to communicate.

When you plug it into an E key slot, it connects both PCIe and USB pins.

Since an M key slot has no USB pins, an adapter from M key to E key must have the USB pins connected to a USB port another way.

Hence why the adapter you linked has the little USB offshoot thing.

elephants

28 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

WiFi/Bluetooth cards use both PCIe and USB to communicate.

When you plug it into an E key slot, it connects both PCIe and USB pins.

Since an M key slot has no USB pins, an adapter from M key to E key must have the USB pins connected to a USB port another way.

Hence why the adapter you linked has the little USB offshoot thing.

So if I get a pcie adapter will I be unable to use the bluetooth? None of those adapters seem to have usb connections

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/27/2021 at 1:49 PM, Cantaloupeman said:

So if I get a pcie adapter will I be unable to use the bluetooth? None of those adapters seem to have usb connections

Here you go.

You’ll need a free USB 2 header to connect the cable to the motherboard and be able to use BT as well.