Please disable autoplaying videos from Reddit embeds

minibois
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I've looked into it before, but it's not something that we can fix. It would need reddit to make a change, but they have not yet done so.

Today I was browsing through the status updates feed (https://linustechtips.com/discover/58/) and suddenly some really loud video starts to play, causing me to take off my headset and look for the source.

It was an autoplaying video from a Reddit embed in this status update: https://linustechtips.com/status/290048/ (warning, might be very loud for you too).

This doesn't always autoplay, but from what I gathered:

Chrome: often autoplays

FireFox: doesn't autoplay (might be because of a setting to force disable auto-plays)

Chromium Edge: (often) autoplays

If it's possible to disable, it would be great if that can be done. Or if it's possible, drastically lowering the volume would be great too.

I am not exaggerating when I say for me this video was about two times louder than the YouTube video I was currently listening to.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Holy... I didn't read the testing part so I was wondering if there was edit made to fix it. How wrong was I to open edit history for that SU. (Hard echo warning to fellow mods)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I've looked into it before, but it's not something that we can fix. It would need reddit to make a change, but they have not yet done so.

HTTP/2 203

11 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Disable the embed in mean time? Before some troll uses it for bad things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

21 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Disable the embed in mean time? Before some troll uses it for bad things.

Or as a compromise, a button which only loads the embed when requested by the user (allows the user to get a preview of the post without leaving the site, but essentially removes the issue OP describes where autoplaying videos start in the background)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

21 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

ah, bummer. I would expect Reddit to at least sort of understand the internet and its desire to not have auto-playing stuff (especially when it's as loud as it is).

I'll just hope the next time it is a bit less loud, lol.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It doesn't seem to autoplay if 'tracking content' is blocked. At least on Firefox.

11 hours ago, minibois said:

ah, bummer. I would expect Reddit to at least sort of understand the internet and its desire to not have auto-playing stuff (especially when it's as loud as it is).

I'll just hope the next time it is a bit less loud, lol.

Then there's people like Instagram that completely reversed things and made all videos autoplay by default. Honestly not only is autoplaying videos annoying and at times startling, but if you're on mobile... oh boy... there goes a ton of your data every time. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580