any modified linux distro with wine built in?

Go to solution Solved by birdflyer,
On 2/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Pc6777 said:

wine is built in so i can run games on it without any separate installs? seems like a cool os. and will the nvidia and amd ubuntu drivers work on it?

It's a mostly Ubuntu based distro with wine built in, don't quite know about the installs. Anything that works with Wine should be exactly the same on Zorin and work the same as it would work with Wine on Ubuntu. Ubuntu drivers and everything else that can be installed on Ubuntu should work perfectly fine 100% of the time on Zorin.

I was wondering if there were any safe linux distros with wine built in with all the framework and everything preinstalled so its plug and play. I want something was as much preinstalled as possible and dont care how big the iso is. 

Zorin

Zorin is my preferred linux distro for so, so, many reasons. Awesome distro.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

2 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Zorin

Zorin is my preferred linux distro for so, so, many reasons. Awesome distro.

wine is built in so i can run games on it without any separate installs? seems like a cool os. and will the nvidia and amd ubuntu drivers work on it?

On 2/26/2021 at 1:31 PM, Pc6777 said:

It's a mostly Ubuntu based distro with wine built in, don't quite know about the installs. Anything that works with Wine should be exactly the same on Zorin and work the same as it would work with Wine on Ubuntu. Ubuntu drivers and everything else that can be installed on Ubuntu should work perfectly fine 100% of the time on Zorin.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

1 hour ago, birdflyer said:

It's a mostly Ubuntu based distro with wine built in, don't quite know about the installs. Anything that works with wine should be exactly the same on Zorin as it would be on Ubuntu. Ubuntu drivers and everything else that can be installed on Ubuntu should work perfectly fine.

in your experience, how many games can you get to run on linux excluding vulcan stuff which I know will easily work. like stuff that needs direct x ect. and does all the microsoft redistruable and framework stuff ect come with wine built in?

1 minute ago, Pc6777 said:

in your experience, how many games can you get to run on linux excluding vulcan stuff which I know will easily work. like stuff that needs direct x ect. and does all the microsoft redistruable and framework stuff ect come with wine built in?

To be honest, I really haven't tried anything except for what will work with steams compatibility layer. A general rule of thumb is if it has separate anti-cheat software, it won't work. (EG: any game with Battle Eye)

To be honest, I really haven't tried anything except for what will work with steams compatibility layer. A general rule of thumb is if it has separate anti-cheat software, it won't work. (EG: any game with Battle Eye)

what that invasive deuvo thing cause problems?

1 minute ago, Pc6777 said:

I honestly wouldn't know with out trying. You can always set up a virtual machine to try your games on before you install.

I honestly wouldn't know with out trying. You can always set up a virtual machine to try your games on before you install.

I have tons of lower spec test machines I can install linux on to test, would rather leave my main pc alone and just set a new one up. im hoping wine gets to the point were it can fully emulate windows for apps/games. if I was rich I would probably donate a few grand to them.  

Just now, Pc6777 said:

I have tons of lower spec test machines I can install linux on to test, would rather leave my main pc alone and just set a new one up. im hoping wine gets to the point were it can fully emulate windows for apps/games. if I was rich I would probably donate a few grand to them.  

Agreed, I would use Linux 100% of the time if it weren't for compatibility issues with some programs.

Just now, birdflyer said:

Agreed, I would use Linux 100% of the time if it weren't for compatibility issues with some programs.

yep, windows isnt nearly as bad as mac os and chrome os don't get me wrong, but its going down a path i don't like, and they have a monopoly over programs/games because you need windows to run a lot of stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

yep, windows isnt nearly as bad as mac os and chrome os don't get me wrong, but its going down a path i don't like, and they have a monopoly over programs/games because you need windows to run a lot of stuff. 

I should probably start using Windows 10 Ameliorated, who knows how long they will be around for though.

https://ameliorated.info/

6 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

If I were following my own advice I would run Windows 10 Ameliorated (on a computer disconected from the internet) next to another computer running Linux to get things off the interweb to send to my NAS whilst using the Windows exclusive programs that are needed for my work.

7 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

If I were following my own advice I would run Windows 10 Ameliorated (on a computer disconected from the internet) next to another computer running Linux to get things off the interweb to send to my NAS whilst using the Windows exclusive programs that are needed for my work.

whats Windows 10 Ameliorated?

6 minutes ago, Pc6777 said:

whats Windows 10 Ameliorated?

It's a modified version of Windows that has a lot of the spyware removed. 

A question though - why do you want to run Linux if you are just going to  use it for wine?   The reason I ask this is because wine is usually not a super good idea to install on Linux distributions, not only can it open you up to new security risks, but due to the implementation video games will probably have a harder time running using Wine than on Windows and may run significantly slower.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, I agree with the above that Zorin sounds nice - just beware that it's a downstream of Ubuntu and so would therefore be patched slower, and may not have the same maintenance periods.

1 minute ago, Akolyte said:

It's a modified version of Windows that has a lot of the spyware removed. 

A question though - why do you want to run Linux if you are just going to  use it for wine?   The reason I ask this is because wine is usually not a super good idea to install on Linux distributions, not only can it open you up to new security risks, but due to the implementation video games will probably have a harder time running using Wine than on Windows and may run significantly slower.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, I agree with the above that Zorin sounds nice - just beware that it's a downstream of Ubuntu and so would therefore be patched slower, and may not have the same maintenance periods.

well, for the time being i will continue using windows, but i want to experiment with Linux so if windows ever gets unbearable i can switch with no problems, and I want one of my secondary pcs to run linux because I like the os. also I can always get better more powerful hardware to make up for a bit of overhead, as long as the games run I can just spend more on gpu and cpu and they still should run ok. 

23 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

does yuzu and cmu run fine on wine? the Nintendo emulators

3 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

I was wondering if there were any safe linux distros with wine built in with all the framework and everything preinstalled so its plug and play. I want something was as much preinstalled as possible and dont care how big the iso is. 

You would be better off installing wine and pulling its optional dependencies and then using something like Lutris to help automate your instances. For anything that goes through Steam, you can use Steams built in Wine instance called Proton. For anything not game related, I would look into open-source alternatives.

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/

https://lutris.net/

2 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

That's a complicated question that will vary from user to user. You could look at ProtonDB for your steam games and the Lutris Site for others to help get a general idea.

Wine includes some drop in replacements, however in many cases you will need to install third party runtimes, sometimes this can actually get fairly complicated., however winetricks does a fairly good job at providing working scripts to help automate this.

If your going through Steams Proton, Steam will automatically install any third party runtimes you may need.

Lutris uses scripts made by the community to install various Games and/or software, these scripts usually include automated runtime pulling and installation.

https://www.protondb.com/

https://lutris.net/games

2 hours ago, Pc6777 said:

Denuvo can be hit and miss. Most AntiCheats and DRM protection schemes however do not work. These are both something that is currently being worked on, but there is no ETA for any particular item.

7 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

You would be better off installing wine and pulling its optional dependencies and then using something like Lutris to help automate your instances. For anything that goes through Steam, you can use Steams built in Wine instance called Proton. For anything not game related, I would look into open-source alternatives.

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/

https://lutris.net/

That's a complicated question that will vary from user to user. You could look at ProtonDB for your steam games and the Lutris Site for others to help get a general idea.

Wine includes some drop in replacements, however in many cases you will need to install third party runtimes, sometimes this can actually get fairly complicated., however winetricks does a fairly good job at providing working scripts to help automate this.

If your going through Steams Proton, Steam will automatically install any third party runtimes you may need.

Lutris uses scripts made by the community to install various Games and/or software, these scripts usually include automated runtime pulling and installation.

https://www.protondb.com/

https://lutris.net/games

Denuvo can be hit and miss. Most AntiCheats and DRM protection schemes however do not work. These are both something that is currently being worked on, but there is no ETA for any particular item.

I got a lot of older games to work, the newer games arnt launching, maybe it's because wine is always playing catch up because limited resources. I was pleasantly surprised that shadow of Morador and fallout 4 launched, and we're playable. I had to lower settings lower than I would need to normally on my rx 570 backup PC(Linux things it's a rx 480?). If there's better optimization and updates for newer stuff it could easily be a viable alternative I'm impressed. If wine ever gets to the point we're it can run all the single player games I like, and is optimized almost as good as windows, I might switch on my main PC, for now I will use windows and use Linux on a secondary PC and hope one day Linux emmulation gets even better.

As someone who has played several games using WINE, 

I feel like I need to say this: 

Asking for a Linux Distro with Wine preinstalled because you don't want to bother with installing it yourself will lead to a gigantic, smelly pile of frustration. 

Playing a game using WINE is not, repeat NOT a plug and play experience. It's an adventure. No one with five cents' worth experience in Linux/Wine expects a game to run out of the box, by double clicking on the .exe. 

2 hours ago, el_murdoque said:

As someone who has played several games using WINE, 

I feel like I need to say this: 

Asking for a Linux Distro with Wine preinstalled because you don't want to bother with installing it yourself will lead to a gigantic, smelly pile of frustration. 

Playing a game using WINE is not, repeat NOT a plug and play experience. It's an adventure. No one with five cents' worth experience in Linux/Wine expects a game to run out of the box, by double clicking on the .exe. 

Some games did actually launch by just running the exe through wine, surprisingly.