Noctua NH-D15 Spacers

Hypeoverload
Go to solution Solved by Boomy Beatle,

I'd go back and install the correct ones. The spacing can be very particular on coolers, meaning a difference in degrees far into the double digits. When I still used my Wraith Prism (AMD "high-end" stock cooler, I didn't close one of the two latches all the way, partly due to laziness, and my system ran incredibly warm even at idle, even though it otherwise had good contact and thermal paste application.

First build and I used the white spacers when installing the cooler onto an LGA 1200, I since realized that those weren't meant for LGA 1200 and i should have used the black ones. Should I go in and replace the spacers or will it not make much of a difference? 

I'd go back and install the correct ones. The spacing can be very particular on coolers, meaning a difference in degrees far into the double digits. When I still used my Wraith Prism (AMD "high-end" stock cooler, I didn't close one of the two latches all the way, partly due to laziness, and my system ran incredibly warm even at idle, even though it otherwise had good contact and thermal paste application.

What @Boomy Beatlesaid.

Your CPU cooler might not have proper contact/lack enough pressure with the IHS of the CPU to effectively cool the chip. I think it's worth going in and reinstalling it. It should take less than 20 mins, but it's worth not taking the risk of not properly cooling it.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

Thanks, i appreciate the feedback. I put it together a couple of days ago. I'm assuming I'd have to remove the thermal paste and apply it again?

16 minutes ago, Hypeoverload said:

Thanks, i appreciate the feedback. I put it together a couple of days ago. I'm assuming I'd have to remove the thermal paste and apply it again?

Yes I would recommend using a paper towel or micro fiber cloth to get the bulk off then using isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly get it all off.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

20 hours ago, tishous said:

Yes I would recommend using a paper towel or micro fiber cloth to get the bulk off then using isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly get it all off.

I appreciate everyone's help, i fixed the mistake last night, glad i didn't wait