How to get good customer service from Newegg.ca?

Anthony789

So, I ordered a couple 8Tb hard drives that were on sale from Newegg ("sold and shipped by Newegg").  They ship from Toronto to Vancouver via Purolator, but upon arrival in Vancouver there's an "packaging issue".  I contacted Newegg Monday, and they said to contact Purolator which I did that day.  Purolator tells me they would be assessing whether the contents were damaged or not (in consultation with Newegg as necessary) and that there should be an update later that day.  It's now Friday and each day Purolator just reposts "Shipment may be delayed due to packaging issue", so I contacted Newegg again today.  The first response was:
"

Dear Anthony, the package is damaged in transit or not packed well all the time from the warehouse, there will be the UPS or our warehouse be at fault whatever happens. Only it takes many days for them to process and fix this issue.
. 10:05 AM PT

Surely it is very unpleasant experience in shopping!"

I tried to explain that in my mind, this was an issue between Newegg and Purolator, and they should just resend the order to me and pursue resolution with Purolator, but the rep didn't seem to acknowledge and/or understand what I was saying, and would not transfer me after I asked two times.

Given the circumstances, what would be the best course of action?  I don't know how I can be confident at this point that the drives aren't damaged, even if they do arrive eventually.  And if I went with the refund/reorder, I lose on the sale price.  Thoughts/suggestions?

Newegg is great at stalling or convincing you that you have no power.  Not sure about your region, but in the US I just call my bank and they will reverse the transaction.  Thats what I would tell Newegg I would do if they do not service me as the customer.  Then they service me.  I also have a decent spend with them so I think that helps.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

lie and say you work for the government... 

or do what @Tristerinsaid that makes more sense if I think about it 🧐

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Either threaten with complaint to consumer protection agency or go ahead and contact them directly. Here usually the moment you say you will contact consumer protection, the service/store will step-up since once they are on the record of not complying, they could easily next be on headlines because of it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

I'm saving about $30 on this order, so I'd like it to be fulfilled.  I talked to Purolator this morning, making it clear that I'm not inclined to accept the package (wanted that understood before they just leave it outside my front door, if they get around to moving it, that is)--they made a note on the file, and instructed the local depot to phone me next week.  I'll see what they say before pursuing it with Newegg further, but if Purolator takes responsibility on their end, it should help move things along.

So, I got a call from Purolator that they're returning the package.  I've received the following from Newegg:
"Thank you for contacting Newegg.

After checking, I noticed that your order was returned to us, so I have canceled the claim filed before(you will receive confirmation message). Once the returned package is received by our warehouse, a return number will be generated and you will receive a full refund to your original form of payment within 3-5 business days. If you still want the item, please reply to the email, and we will issue replacement RMA for you so that have our team reship the item after receiving the return package. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. Have a good day!"

I replied saying that I want the order shipped with new product (and saw no reason for delay), and received the following reply:
"I have issued replacement RMA#xxxxxxxx for you, and the RM will be processed after we received return package. And the replacement will be shipped out within 1-2 business days after RMA processed. Thanks for your effort in this matter. Have a good day and stay safe!"

Should I be concerned?

14 minutes ago, Anthony789 said:

So, I got a call from Purolator that they're returning the package.  I've received the following from Newegg:
"Thank you for contacting Newegg.

After checking, I noticed that your order was returned to us, so I have canceled the claim filed before(you will receive confirmation message). Once the returned package is received by our warehouse, a return number will be generated and you will receive a full refund to your original form of payment within 3-5 business days. If you still want the item, please reply to the email, and we will issue replacement RMA for you so that have our team reship the item after receiving the return package. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. Have a good day!"

I replied saying that I want the order shipped with new product (and saw no reason for delay), and received the following reply:
"I have issued replacement RMA#xxxxxxxx for you, and the RM will be processed after we received return package. And the replacement will be shipped out within 1-2 business days after RMA processed. Thanks for your effort in this matter. Have a good day and stay safe!"

Should I be concerned?

Just received the following:

"

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

Yes, replacement means that we will send a new same item not original package, so don't worry about it. Have a good rest of your day!

"

• 1 month later...

Update: I received my replacement shipment on March 15, but only one of the two hardrives came.  I sent repeated messages--another RMA was issued, and then cancelled, and then a claim was started and closed--in the end I did receive the second hard drive on March 24, but only after pushing things forward repeatedly.

Bottom line--Newegg customer service is not consistent or reliable when things go wrong.