I'm really new with PC's and don't know much about my pc's cooling.

fromcalibaby
Go to solution Solved by seban,
11 minutes ago, fromcalibaby said:

Thanks!!

be quiet! Dark Rock 4: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BYP9S95?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

ARCTIC Freezer 34: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9T4YC2?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Cooling-System/dp/B07H9JL1P8/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?currency=USD&dchild=1&keywords=Cooler+Master+Hyper+212+RGB+Black+Edition+CPU+Air+Cooler%2C+SF120R+RGB+Fan%2C+4+CD+2.0+Heatpipes%2C+Anodized+Gun-Metal+Black%2C+Brushed+Nickel+Fins%2C+RGB+Lighting+for+AMD+Ryzen%2FIntel+LGA1151&linkCode=gs3&qid=1614369258&sr=8-1-fkmr0&tag=pcp0f-21

Noctua NH-U14S: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C9FLSLY?currency=USD&linkCode=gs2&psc=1&tag=pcp0f-21&th=1

I generally recommend be quiet! coolers over the others just because of really quality manufacturing price/value perfomance and silence. (this is my go-to cooler and i recommend getting this one)

The ARCTIC Freezer 34 is very very good for its price and is an amazing budget option out of all of those. However less flexible than the others.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black is a very easy to install cooler and popular, also amazing at cooling.. but a bit more pricey

The Noctua NH-U14S is the most popular here and similiar to the be quiet! one... there are many many videos on this cooler so you can check those out if you need more indept info (i personally wouldnt choose this cooler, because i simply dont like it)

No problem btw

I've been building this pc over the last couple years, slowly, due to budget. It's a gaming PC, (not a laptop), and when using chrome and using pc it runs about 42 degrees celsius. But when I play demanding games it runs at about 90, however, it usually spikes at 90-93 and then drops back down to mid 80's. So when watching it during a demanding game it's usually 80's but jumps randomly for a second to above 90 then drops again. I'm not sure what this means or how temperatures can spike at such a rapid pace. Well, anyways, let me explain a little bit, I have a glass cover, and when I leave that glass casing on, the pc gets REALLY hot during gaming extremely fast, when I take it off, it takes much longer for the temperatures to rise, I'm no computer expert but it doesn't take a genius to realize that clearly the case is trapping the heat inside. I'm aware that I need to do something with my PC to make it cooler with the casing fully on. My question is, do I need to upgrade the cooling entirely or do I need a new case? Also I'm a bit ignorant on cooling paste. I also don't know how to really clean my pc, but I'm sure I can learn via youtube, etc. Long story short, any advice would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I was a console gamer my ENTIRE life and this if the first actual computer I've ever owned. Even growing up my mom never had the money for one so we just never had a computer. I'M A COMPLETE NOOB. Thanks.

P.S. I'd like to solve this in the cheapest way possible. 😄

Just now, fromcalibaby said:

I've been building this pc over the last year, it's a gaming PC, (not a laptop), and when using chrome and using pc it runs about 42 degrees celsius. But when I play demanding games it runs at about 90, however, it usually spikes at 90-93 and then drops back down to mid 80's. So when watching it during a demanding game it's usually 80's but jumps randomly for a second to above 90 then drops again. I'm not sure what this means or how temperatures can spike at such a rapid pace. Well, anyways, let me explain a little bit, I have a glass cover, and when I leave that glass casing on, the pc gets REALLY hot during gaming extremely fast, when I take it off, it takes much longer for the temperatures to rise, I'm no computer expert but it doesn't take a genius to realize that clearly the case is trapping the heat inside. I'm aware that I need to do something with my PC to make it cooler with the casing fully on. My question is, do I need to upgrade the cooling entirely or do I need a new case? Also I'm a bit ignorant on cooling paste. I also don't know how to really clean my pc, but I'm sure I can learn via youtube, etc. Long story short, any advice would be appreciated. Please keep in mind I was a console gamer my ENTIRE life and this if the first actual computer I've ever owned. Even growing up my mom never had the money for one so we just never had a computer. I'M A COMPLETE NOOB. Thanks.

P.S. I should also mention I'm on a budget so want to solve this in the cheapest way possible.

please list your full system specs, that would help.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

image.thumb.png.fa510d2cb2aa1b75898a8b3f30d1c7b3.png

first of all, please tag me so I can get the notification that you responded (use the arrow below my message :D)

Secondly, I still don't know what
-GPU
-Cooler
-PSU
and case you have

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, fromcalibaby said:

Hopefully this helps? 😄 And wow, super fast response!

CPU cooler?
Can you take a picture of the inside of your PC?

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

CPU cooler?
Can you take a picture of the inside of your PC?

oh, gpu cooler i think is cooler master elite v3 600? Hold on, I'm taking pics but might be hard to see.Sorry new to this site, just signed up like 5 minutes ago 😄

1 minute ago, fromcalibaby said:

oh, gpu cooler i think is cooler master elite v3 600? Hold on, I'm taking pics but might be hard to see.Sorry new to this site, just signed up like 5 minutes ago 😄

154325247_343397667042503_5827880012256344473_n.jpg

155083525_223881186098188_8653810429544980270_n.jpg

155442487_1371174403215739_4987361848952128746_n.jpg

155495928_421357315613713_6837416330005343593_n.jpg

oh yea, 2 of the fans arent working anymore for some unknown reason but i dont really hve the money to fully trick out my pc and get everything replaced. So I'm trying to figure out the cheapest options, (or if i even need to panic in the first place)

3 minutes ago, fromcalibaby said:

oh yea, 2 of the fans arent working anymore for some unknown reason but i dont really hve the money to fully trick out my pc and get everything replaced. So I'm trying to figure out the cheapest options, (or if i even need to panic in the first place)

Well your temps are high because you are using a stock intel cooler which is not sufficient to cool that cpu. Also doesn't help that you have 2 possibly dead fans. Depending on what case you have it can be a relatively simple solution for around 50$.

You also still didn't list your Gpu and case. Pictures are only so much without knowing those 2 things it's hard to start recommending a solution.

1st, its probably not worth panicking over. Your clearly running a stock intel fan, which tells me that a locked intel CPU that you would not be able to overclock. The split second of jumping up to the 90s then going back to the 80s is probably just the fan taking a moment to spin up. Adjusting your fan curve might help to get it to start spinning up sooner. The best fix would be probably trying to get the 2 non working fans, working again. Best way to test then would be to use the system fan slot with the working fan to see if the other 2 are broken or if its an issue with the motherboard itself and the sys fan slots. If the fans do start up, then theres not much you can do without replacing the entire motherboard, but if the fans don't work, you could buy a cheap pack of 2 fans to replace your current ones. You could also try testing the working fan in the other system fan slots if you wanna fully make sure they will power your fans before making the purchase.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

is not sufficient to cool that cpu

Not a k CPU so it can with sufficient airflow. I've been using an intel stock cooler on my non k i7 8700 for a couple years now without overheating issues.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well your temps are high because you are using a stock intel cooler which is not sufficient to cool that cpu. Also doesn't help that you have 2 possibly dead fans. Depending on what case you have it can be a relatively simple solution for around 50$.

You also still didn't list your Gpu and case. Pictures are only so much without knowing those 2 things it's hard to start recommending a solution.

Well, I don't know the case actually. I took it to a pc shop and they replaced it, I've never actually know the name or brand of the case. GPU is a radeon RX vega 56. How do I prevent the fans from stopping, for future reference?

2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Not a k CPU so it can with sufficient airflow. I've been using an intel stock cooler on my non k i7 8700 for a couple years now without overheating issues.

The 10 series is an even hotter running series so it's borderline constantly.

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

1st, its probably not worth panicking over. Your clearly running a stock intel fan, which tells me that a locked intel CPU that you would not be able to overclock. The split second of jumping up to the 90s then going back to the 80s is probably just the fan taking a moment to spin up. Adjusting your fan curve might help to get it to start spinning up sooner. The best fix would be probably trying to get the 2 non working fans, working again. Best way to test then would be to use the system fan slot with the working fan to see if the other 2 are broken or if its an issue with the motherboard itself and the sys fan slots. If the fans do start up, then theres not much you can do without replacing the entire motherboard, but if the fans don't work, you could buy a cheap pack of 2 fans to replace your current ones. You could also try testing the working fan in the other system fan slots if you wanna fully make sure they will power your fans before making the purchase.

Well about the motherboard it's a brand new motherboard, i bought it as a package with my I7 processor about 3 weeks ago, so those are totally new, don't know if that changes anything about your comment or not. And about using the system fan slot with the working fan, as i said above I'm like borderline retarded with pc stuff so I'm still very new to learning a lot of it, not sure if I;d know how to do that in the first place 😄

Well, I don't know the case actually. I took it to a pc shop and they replaced it, I've never actually know the name or brand of the case. GPU is a radeon RX vega 56. How do I prevent the fans from stopping, for future reference?

can you show us the front of the case (exterior)?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Without knowing how they are hooked up it could just be a lose connector. It wouldn't suprise me those fans are connected to a fan hub behind the back panel.

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

can you show us the front of the case (exterior)?

Pretty hard because that part is facing the wall but basically it's just a very basic all black casing. Doesn't look like anything special at all. I can take a pic if you really need me to, normally there's a glass case on front but I've taken it off out of paranoia

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Without knowing how they are hooked up it could just be a lose connector. It wouldn't suprise me those fans are connected to a fan hub behind the back panel.

Well, sometimes if i wiggle the cord connected to one of the fans it starts running again but then stops about 10 seconds later. So a loose connector might be right, if by that you means its just not plugged in fully. I'm not confident enough to disassemble it and try to get in there to fix it, same thing with cleaning it properly I don't think I have the right tools to clean it properly also. I can honestly see why so many people just console game, it's so much easier to maintain and you don't have to mess with it much at all. PC's so far are very confusing for me.

4 minutes ago, fromcalibaby said:

Pretty hard because that part is facing the wall but basically it's just a very basic all black casing. Doesn't look like anything special at all. I can take a pic if you really need me to, normally there's a glass case on front but I've taken it off out of paranoia

oh alright, you're good.. I'd probably suggest just replacing the CPU cooler. So take it to your local PC shop, give them the cooler you bought and they'll install it for you in like 15 minutes, ready to go. 

If you need us to recommend you a cooler then just ask.

Edit: i just read that you're on a budget... another thing that got to my mind is to just fully max out the RPM on your chassis fan (if you havent already) and that should significantly help the temps.. 

replace the cooler. The stock cooler has difficulty handling a 10400 somtimes, an 8 core CPU is going to have abad time 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, 1ppOverheat said:

oh alright, you're good.. I'd probably suggest just replacing the CPU cooler. So take it to your local PC shop, give them the cooler you bought and they'll install it for you in like 15 minutes, ready to go. 

If you need us to recommend you a cooler then just ask.

Well, I'm american but I live in the Philippines and the shop that's near my house, is often times very helpful, but other times it doesn't seem like the guy there is SUPER knowledgeable OR there's a giant language barrier. Like what I want him to do is totally LOOK in my pc, inspect it, and tell me the best solution, instead what happens is, I tell him that my pc has been getting really hot and he just say buy this thing, (whatever it may be). But like I said, I really want him to go inside my pc and check it out and find what's causing the problem of the overheating so that my purchase is the CORRECT purchase, if that makes any sense.

Just now, Downkey said:

replace the cooler. The stock cooler has difficulty handling a 10400 somtimes, an 8 core CPU is going to have abad time 

Just now, Downkey said:

Okay, and should it be some water cooling thing? Ugh I'm so stupid with this crap.

Okay, and should it be some water cooling thing? Ugh I'm so stupid with this crap.

What makes me think it's actually the casing though is that when the glass case is on, it gets VERY hot really quickly, but only when gaming demanding games, otherwise it's fine.

6 minutes ago, fromcalibaby said:

What makes me think it's actually the casing though is that when the glass case is on, it gets VERY hot really quickly, but only when gaming demanding games, otherwise it's fine.

I recommend just trusting the guy in your shop... go there with the cooler already purchased and ask them to just get it installed for a couple of bucks (depends ofc). 

What is your bare minimum budget so i can recommend you a couple of coolers?